Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 05-04-2018, 09:54 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for All done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Row View Post
Get Google WiFi. It builds its own mesh network and works seamlessly. We have a large home and 3 units cover everything with no dead-spots.
Ditto. I'm only using 2 of the 3 units and I can stream 4k just fine over wifi from a different floor and I get good coverage out in the back yard.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:45 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by r. mutt View Post
After years of crappy router-extenders I learned about powerline extenders here on the AO, and so far they're working great....
My wife and I spent the first few months of our marriage in the basement of my aunt's very large house. They had their (weak) router on the 3rd floor and we could barely get a signal at all. I got the cheapest powerline adapter[PLA] (tp-link 200mbps something) from amazon and we invested in our first router (~$100 AC1750 netgear nighthawk something). I plugged one PLA into their router upstairs, one into our router downstairs, and set it up with our own network name/password, and we had better connection downstairs than they did upstairs (since our router worked better than theirs with wireless). I plugged 2 desktops into the router and we would have 3-4 wireless devices on it, all powered by the PLA, and besides occasional hiccups in bad weather, it worked very well.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:41 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
I'm curious how much better a true mesh system is.
One of the biggest difference is that it's seem-less. You log into the network - and the network assigns you to which spot you're at. It like the cell tower hand off - you don't notice which tower you're now attached to.

Another advantage is that the mesh networks are newer tech, and security was something thought about by the manufacturers.