Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 05-09-2018, 11:29 AM
SOA

Found some very cool software, that simulates listening to a speaker system ... while wearing your headphones. Check out the demo (while listening through headphones):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gk5Tw6yWGo

I checked with the company, and they said they expect to have a half off sale in early June. At current prices, it would be $150 for the software license and one room simulator, plus $25 for each additional simulated room. I think I would like 3 rooms, to have some flexibility. So that would be $200 today, or $100 if I wait until early June. Happy Father's Day to me.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:02 PM
SOA

Anybody put in overhead speakers for Atmos yet? I'm intrigued by these from ELAC, that would go on top of my tower speakers, and bounce sound off the ceiling.

https://www.amazon.com/ELAC-Debut-Do.../dp/B07B4P9TYJ

My wife would NOT be supportive of the cost of installing actual in-ceiling speakers in our family room. Maybe one day if I get a house with a dedicated theater room.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:35 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Anybody put in overhead speakers for Atmos yet? I'm intrigued by these from ELAC, that would go on top of my tower speakers, and bounce sound off the ceiling.

https://www.amazon.com/ELAC-Debut-Do.../dp/B07B4P9TYJ

My wife would NOT be supportive of the cost of installing actual in-ceiling speakers in our family room. Maybe one day if I get a house with a dedicated theater room.
I've never really listened much to any Atmos. I think it's funny, how you've got the horn folks who are trying to control directivity as much as possible (reflections bad), and the bipole/dipole/Atmos type speakers (reflections good).

And I have to say, I have a foot in both camps. I love my cheap-o rebuilt Magnepans with all their reflections, and the Gedlee, which have a pretty tight beam. Atmos is a bit different, you could turn them on for movies and off for music, if you like.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:53 PM
SOA AAA

I've been preoccupied lately with travel plans (three trips between now and the end of summer), and work, and getting the yard ready for spring.

Once I have some time, I think I'd like to do my first car install in a decade. I have a Volt, and the Bose system isn't doing it for me. Rule number one is I'm not giving up any space or functionality of the car. Rule number two is there's no way I'm attempting to use a different head unit. So I'm thinking:
  1. MiniDSP to do EQ and crossover stuff ($300)
  2. one of the tiny amps that will fit under the floor of the trunk, something like this ($200-ish)
  3. a Dayton Ultimax 8" sub, which I'm almost positive will fit where the stock 4.5" sub lives now. Yes, Bose used a 4.5" driver for a subwoofer
  4. Dayton Reference 7" in the doors
  5. Either the smallest Tymphany ring radiator tweeters behind the OEM tweeter grills, or removing them and installing a compact Tang Band tweeter

Still looking at a few other tweeters, and the Silver Flute 7" from Madisound is a good candidate for the doors, and cheap. I'd love to use a 10" subwoofer, but I don't think I can squeeze one in the factory location. The Ultimax is pretty beefy though, I think if I put in a subsonic filter around 20-25Hz it should sound really full and get plenty loud without bottoming out or sounding terrible.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:34 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
I've never really listened much to any Atmos. I think it's funny, how you've got the horn folks who are trying to control directivity as much as possible (reflections bad), and the bipole/dipole/Atmos type speakers (reflections good).
Some of the folks online say that overhead speakers can produce too localized of a sound, which sounds unnatural in movies. These bounced speakers end up more diffused, which they say works for the kinds of effects that are relegated to those speakers (like helicopters passing overhead).

Quote:
And I have to say, I have a foot in both camps. I love my cheap-o rebuilt Magnepans with all their reflections, and the Gedlee, which have a pretty tight beam. Atmos is a bit different, you could turn them on for movies and off for music, if you like.
I typically listen to music in 2.1 mode. So that would automatically turn off those speakers.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:38 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Some of the folks online say that overhead speakers can produce too localized of a sound, which sounds unnatural in movies. These bounced speakers end up more diffused, which they say works for the kinds of effects that are relegated to those speakers (like helicopters passing overhead).

I typically listen to music in 2.1 mode. So that would automatically turn off those speakers.
I'm not up to date on how all this gets processed. Some sounds (like helicopters) are really diffuse and, I believe, shouldn't be easily localized. But I thought the real benefit of Atmos was adding height as a dimension in the soundstage, and I'd think that, at least for some sounds, localization would be a good thing?

I'm just typing out loud, I'm waaaaay behind the curve on all this stuff.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:11 AM
SOA

Quote:
I'm not up to date on how all this gets processed. Some sounds (like helicopters) are really diffuse and, I believe, shouldn't be easily localized. But I thought the real benefit of Atmos was adding height as a dimension in the soundstage, and I'd think that, at least for some sounds, localization would be a good thing?

I'm just typing out loud, I'm waaaaay behind the curve on all this stuff.
Yeah, I don't know, since I haven't tried it. I was probably just happy to find at least one person say that reflected sound works better, since that's my only option any time in the near future.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:09 AM
SOA

Quote:
Also, this model would allow two different calibrations for two different subwoofers, which I may want to do one day. I'll definitely want two subs one day. But most receivers just do one calibration for the subs, which is fine if your two subs are the exact same. But if I want to keep my current sub and add on a better one, then this type of calibration could be a big help.
Quote:
Thatís pretty cool, I wish I had independent EQ for each sub. I did until my MiniDSP stopped working! It was really slick, but really buggy.
I was wrong. Audyssey SubEQ HT does not EQ each sub separately. It does, however, adjust for level and delay (distance) differences. But that's it. So it's still a good idea to get two of the same sub.

I'm traveling for work, to a city that has a Fry's. I was able to score a Denon X3400H for just $499, which I'll pick up Tuesday. It has the superior Audyssey, which I know from experience makes a noticeable difference. But it lacks some features of my Marantz. I wonder if I'll notice much difference, other than the Audyssey. The two brands are built by the same manufacturer.

My hope is I can sell my Marantz for around $300, so this would just be a $200 upgrade. It probably doesn't make a lot of sense to make a major upgrade in receiver until I have a room I can really set up the way I want.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:12 AM
SOA

On another topic: how big a deal is it to get a center channel from the same line as your front left and right speakers? I hear about timber matching. But is that really a huge deal? I've actually been pleased with the results of mixing speaker brands in the past, as long as they were complementary (made up for one another's weaknesses.)

I mean, I doubt I would ever want to mix Magnepans with other speakers. Very different sound characteristics. But what about a Definitive Technology center to go with my JBL's? Are they really so radically different as to be annoying to listen to together?
Old 05-21-2018, 08:12 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
On another topic: how big a deal is it to get a center channel from the same line as your front left and right speakers? I hear about timber matching.
Doesn't have to be from the same line or brand, but it will sound weird if the center has a particularly different sound compared to the left & right. You'd have to choose the brands carefully to avoid a noticeable mismatch.

However, having a center speaker at all isn't that important anyway, unless you have people seated off-center and they're concerned about it. If you don't have audiophile visitors who sit off-center, and you usually sit in the sweet spot between left & right, you can safely forget about the center channel speaker and spend the money elsewhere in your system.