Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 05-11-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
I second this suggestion. Iím sure itís horrible for privacy, but at this point, I donít care too much about that anymore. Google already knows everything about me, so Iíd rather they threw me a few bucks here and there for the data theyíre getting from me. Assuming you have location services enabled, youíll typically get 2-3 question surveys about places youíve been to. They usually take 10 seconds max to answer. If they detect your GPS lingers in some store for an hour, theyíll ask if you visited the store, and if you did, they'll ask about your purchase. I can see that type of information being valuable to marketers. The survey comes as a push notification to your phone, you answer a few questions, and you get 20 cents for your trouble. Dollar amounts are tiny, but then again, so are app prices. Iíve got about $50 saved up there, and the past few years, Iíve used the money for a subscription to the MLB At-Bat premium app (gives you access to the radio feeds for all the games, which is great on road trips or at work during day games).

You have to be honest though. Google sometimes asks about made-up businesses. If you say you visited some place that doesnít exist, Google will assume your information is useless to marketers, and will stop sending you surveys.
The bold is pretty much how I feel about it. I've accepted that Google know everything about me and by buying/using one of their phones you are doubling down on that idea. I might as well get some free movies and apps out of it.

Manipulating women...now THAT's hard. Probably because most woman have no clue what they like.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:43 PM
CAS

TDA, if you decide you'd rather have a different phone and want to sell the pixel, please send me a pm.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:18 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary View Post
5. How am i supposed to connect this to a PC?
I connect with Airdroid unless I am transferring a really huge file.

Put the Airdroid app on your phone, go to their webpage, scan the QR code with your phone, transfer anything back and forth over wifi.

I think a few years ago they had an issue where their security was busted, but I don't loose sleep over things like that
Old 05-11-2018, 04:01 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
There is also an option called "Downloaded Only" in Play Music which will hide all the streaming stuff and suggestions.

Except Google play music still likes to remind me what I'm missing every so often.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:26 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
Did it come with a usb-c to micro usb adapter at well(i "think" it should have)? you can use that to convert to micro and attach that to an old usb cable(assuming you have a micro to usb-a cable).

Should look like this:
Mine did not include a USB-C to usb-a or micro-usb adapter.

Also, the USB-C to 3.5mm headphone jack dongle is crap.

Otherwise it's a great phone.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:20 PM
CAS

You seem to have a USB c to USB c cable. Buy a USB a to USB c cable to work with your current laptop. They aren't expensive.

I have been using piktures and gallery for my photos. Both have ways to hide a folder of photos. What kind of editing do you want to do?

I use rocket player for music, mostly because it plays nicely with iTunes playlists on my Mac. I may have paid something for it.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:21 PM
CAS

Yes, USB c is the new standard. I just dive in and bought a bunch of new cables.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:12 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
I don't take naked photos of myself or my wife, so yeah no issue with people seeing what's in my photos.
Yeah fine but you can't believe this isn't a pretty common concern, right? I mean Samsung has a solve....
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 05-11-2018, 09:49 PM
CAS

Oh, and if you get a USB a to USB c cable, you can use your old chargers. Although the new one might be faster. Still, the old ones will work fine.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:42 PM
CAS

i hear flip phones are making a comeback