Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Exams - General Sub-fora: CFA exams
Non-specific topics and complaint department

Old 06-14-2015, 12:02 PM
SOA

College: University of Minnesota
Default FAP Questions

Just had a few basic questions regarding the FAP Modules that I could not find online.

When does one start the FAP Modules, before or after getting an EL job?
Does it cost any money to sign up for the modules? If so do employers that cover costs of exams generally pay for this as well?
Do you need to purchase study materials to help you with this?
How hard are these modules in relation to the exams?
How many exams should be passed before starting the modules, or does it not particularly matter?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-2015, 02:12 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Queens College

Quote:
1. When does one start the FAP Modules, before or after getting an EL job?
2. Does it cost any money to sign up for the modules? If so do employers that cover costs of exams generally pay for this as well?
3. Do you need to purchase study materials to help you with this?
4. How hard are these modules in relation to the exams?
5. How many exams should be passed before starting the modules, or does it not particularly matter?
1) Either
2) Yes. Yes.
3) Yes, there are required textbooks and some of the modules rely on the textbook.
4) They are different from exams. No individual part is extremely hard, but you must put some time into the modules.
5) Does not really matter. I would wait until I was close to finishing exams to start them. I would also wait until I was employed.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:50 PM
SOA

College: University of Minnesota

Thanks for your answer! What are these modules really, do you just go through them and read things/watch informative videos/answer questions? Are there any exams for these/is there a way to fail them and have to retake them?
Old 06-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Queens College

The modules themselves are a bunch of readings. Mostly 1-3 pages of text per slide. Many of the pages link to longer readings and assigned textbook readings. After a reading there is usually a few multiple choice questions about the reading.

The end of module exercises are what people are usually referring to. They will be 5-10 page writeups based on a situation that may or may not have much to do with the module.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:33 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattF View Post
Just had a few basic questions regarding the FAP Modules that I could not find online.

When does one start the FAP Modules, before or after getting an EL job?
Does it cost any money to sign up for the modules? If so do employers that cover costs of exams generally pay for this as well?
Do you need to purchase study materials to help you with this?
How hard are these modules in relation to the exams?
How many exams should be passed before starting the modules, or does it not particularly matter?

Thanks in advance!
I think Costanza addressed your questions pretty well, but to add to the bolded question and your later question about failing and retaking them, they're hard to compare to the exams. The Interim Assessment and Final Assessment are the hardest parts. Each one is graded and require more effort than the EOM exercises. If you fail then yes, you retake it (or resubmit your solution) until you pass. They're easier than exams in that you don't need to memorize anything for them and you have access to everything as you're doing them (they're kind of like an open book test), but they're harder in that they take a long time to do and you have no way of really knowing whether you're on the right track or how close your paper is to passing.

Even if you fail (I failed both the IA and FA once before passing) the feedback you're given includes which portions of the assignment were your weakest, and that's it. Nothing about what was wrong with those portions or how close you were. It's a frustrating process and I would prefer to take exams rather than do the assessments. (And I know I'm not alone in that - I've heard others say the same thing.) If you fail an exam you get a score and know how close you were so you know how much more preparation is required for next time. If you fail an assessment you have no idea how much to improve or even in what way to improve.