Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Finance - Investments Sub-forum: Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing

Old 02-10-2016, 11:40 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Heck, the NAIC had to scramble on nonforfeiture when the interest rates dropped low and stayed low. Kinda hard to force insurers to keep crediting 3% under those conditions.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 02-10-2016, 11:48 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

My understanding (someone please jump in if I'm way off here) is that negative interest rates are a side effect of a deflationary environment, so they don't seem extremely unreasonable.

For example, if I'm a lender with $100, a -1% interest rate, and a -2% deflation environment, I can lend $100 to someone, and get back $99 at the end of the year, or I can hold on to that $100 and have $98 at the end of the year.

I know it seems weird to think of it this way, but I think it's just a psychological limit due to how we perceive interest.

Any other ideas that support negative interest rates? I'm pretty much spitballing here to see if I can justify anything else.

-Riley
Old 02-10-2016, 12:25 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

I agree with your interpretation. And I just want to add that both negative interest rates and deflationary environments are very.bad.things.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
I agree with your interpretation. And I just want to add that both negative interest rates and deflationary environments are very.bad.things.
Well, if negative interest rates are just a response to deflation, then negative interest rates themselves aren't necessarily "bad". On the other hand, a deflationary environment has always been thought of as "bad". I'm not fighting that it isn't, just wondering if you have a firm reason to believe so, or if it mostly comes from the media. Know what I'm saying?

-Riley
Old 02-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
Well, if negative interest rates are just a response to deflation, then negative interest rates themselves aren't necessarily "bad". On the other hand, a deflationary environment has always been thought of as "bad". I'm not fighting that it isn't, just wondering if you have a firm reason to believe so, or if it mostly comes from the media. Know what I'm saying?

-Riley
A little bit of context for your first sentence. For those of us who rely on our investments, low interest rates are bad. Negative interest rates are very bad. Maybe not so much for the rest of the world, I will admit.

As for the rest, I guess I'm agnostic about it, but from what I've read about the 1930s, it seems that in that time frame, deflation was just one part of a very bad circumstance for a lot of people. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depression_(economics)

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.

Last edited by JMO; 02-10-2016 at 01:09 PM..
Old 02-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
A little bit of context. For those of us who rely on our investments, low interest rates are bad. Negative interest rates are very bad. Maybe not so much for the rest of the world, I will admit.
Well, if we're associating low interest rates with a deflationary environment, would it make a difference? I'm not sure how some life/retirement products are designed, so I'm fairly naive, but let's say the case was simple:

Besides some small differences, the rate of return on a 7% interest rate in a 2% inflation scenario would be similar to a 2% interest rate in a -3% inflation (deflation) scenario, no?

-Riley
Old 02-10-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
My understanding (someone please jump in if I'm way off here) is that negative interest rates are a side effect of a deflationary environment, so they don't seem extremely unreasonable.

For example, if I'm a lender with $100, a -1% interest rate, and a -2% deflation environment, I can lend $100 to someone, and get back $99 at the end of the year, or I can hold on to that $100 and have $98 at the end of the year.

I know it seems weird to think of it this way, but I think it's just a psychological limit due to how we perceive interest.

Any other ideas that support negative interest rates? I'm pretty much spitballing here to see if I can justify anything else.

-Riley
I would say you have it "close". It depends upon the specific situation you are talking about.

If you are a lender/Bank, the thought behind the central banks charging interest instead of crediting interest on the reserves held at the fed is that "Why would a bank pay us to hold them"... Deflation is one reason. but a bigger reason is there are not enough credit worthy lenders to lend to. So instead of placing excess reserve on deposit with the central bank at -0.25%.. I'll buy a UST at -0.10%.. better to get back 99.9% of my capital instead of 99.75% which is better than risking my capital on a borrower (meaning i run the risk of losing even more of assets).

If deflation is occurring (or likely to occur) then cash is king (or interest bearing assets). The real rate of return is what is important not nominal. If you are living on a fixed income and goods 1 year from now are 2% cheaper then getting a 0% return on cash means you are 2% wealthier.

Its hard for many people to get this, but that is reality. The problem is 2% deflation may not hit the things "you" spend you money on (say retirees and health care costs).

In the fixed income market, real rates of return are the primary driver. the costs of negative nominal rates are simply passed on to consumers in the banking sector with higher fees.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Well, if we're associating low interest rates with a deflationary environment, would it make a difference? I'm not sure how some life/retirement products are designed, so I'm fairly naive, but let's say the case was simple:

Besides some small differences, the rate of return on a 7% interest rate in a 2% inflation scenario would be similar to a 2% interest rate in a -3% inflation (deflation) scenario, no?

-Riley
insurance with guarantees are a different story. Nominal levels matter because of the guarantees in place.

Banking is different

Real rates of return in this example above is still 5%, so yes you are correct. If a 2% yielding bond exists and we are experiencing 3% deflation you will buy it, and a lot of it... driving up the price and decreaing the 2% nominal yield even further
Old 02-10-2016, 01:43 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Alpha King

Nothing will make Chicago pensions collapse quicker than negative interest rates. So maybe it's not entirely bad!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:49 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:

-Riley
Wait, I'm confused. In a deflationary environment, if you put a $100 bill under your mattress, wouldn't it be worth $102 in a year in real terms?

Whereas if you lend it out and the guy repays you $99 at the end of the year, then that $99 would be worth 99 * 1.02 = $100.98 in real terms.

Or am I not thinking about this correctly?