Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:18 PM
JollyGoodFCAS's Avatar
JollyGoodFCAS JollyGoodFCAS is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Earth (most of the time)
Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva
Posts: 34,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post

Also, my head hurts.
It could be a brain tumour
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lit041000 View Post
FCAS is the yoda of puns. He sprinkles little treasures when the pun gods smile upon us
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-16-2019, 07:17 PM
Helena Lake's Avatar
Helena Lake Helena Lake is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky
Posts: 3,349
Default

I am confused.

I can rule out May 19 and June 18. If C told B the day, and it was either 19 or 18, then C would know for sure what her bday is.

That leaves:
May 15, May 16
June 17
July 14, July 16
Aug 14, Aug 15, Aug 16

So it can't be June. Because once A knows that B can't know... he can rule out the same two... then June would let him know for sure that it was June 17. So C couldn't have told A June. So scratch that.

That then rules out Aug 17, by the same back-and forth logic.

But then I still have
May 15, May 16
July 14, July 16
Aug 14, Aug 15

I'm not following how the logic goes from there to Aug 14. So far as I can tell, it could be any combination, and both A and C would still have to be uncertain.

How does it resolve to having to be Aug 14?

ETA: Unless Cheryl is a dumbass and so are Albert and Bernard.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieSanders2016 View Post
I don't think calling beliefs absurd and bullshit is criticism, it's insulting.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-16-2019, 09:53 PM
1695814's Avatar
1695814 1695814 is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root
Posts: 36,143
Default

Montana?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:38 PM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
I am confused.

I can rule out May 19 and June 18. If C told B the day, and it was either 19 or 18, then C would know for sure what her bday is.

That leaves:
May 15, May 16
June 17
July 14, July 16
Aug 14, Aug 15, Aug 16

So it can't be June. Because once A knows that B can't know... he can rule out the same two... then June would let him know for sure that it was June 17. So C couldn't have told A June. So scratch that.

That then rules out Aug 17, by the same back-and forth logic.

But then I still have
May 15, May 16
July 14, July 16
Aug 14, Aug 15

I'm not following how the logic goes from there to Aug 14. So far as I can tell, it could be any combination, and both A and C would still have to be uncertain.

How does it resolve to having to be Aug 14?

ETA: Unless Cheryl is a dumbass and so are Albert and Bernard.
Albert says I know you don't know. This means it can't be May or June. If it was, then it's possible the birthday is May 19th, or June 18th, and Bernard would know.

So then Bernard says, I still don't know. This eliminates July 16, Aug 15 and Aug 17. Since if Bernard was told any day other than 14, he would know.

Albert then says "Now I know, only since you don't know." This means the only reason why he knows, is because Bernard doesn't know. That is to say if Albert was told July, he would know the birthday regardless. If Bernard knows, it's July 16. If Bernard doesn't know, it's July 14.

But if he's told August, then if Bernard knows, Albert still wouldn't know. It could be August 15 or August 17. But since Bernard doesn't know, he knows it's August 14th.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-17-2019, 07:50 AM
Chief Petosky's Avatar
Chief Petosky Chief Petosky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Location: Location
Favorite beer: BBC Bourbon Stout
Posts: 19,898
Default

Happy belated birthday, Cheryl! Hope you enjoyed your day.
__________________
You move me, you move me, With your buildings and your eyes; autumn woods and winter skies
You move me, you move me. Open sea and city lights, busy streets and dizzy heights
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:08 AM
QMO's Avatar
QMO QMO is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Iowa
Studying for life
College: Several, teacher and student
Favorite beer: I like milk (2% preferred).
Posts: 15,390
Default

What is it that hasn't got what you think it has, but if it has, how many has it got?
-Gracie Allen
__________________
End of line.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:08 AM
gen7 gen7 is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
College: SUNY
Posts: 806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGoodFCAS View Post
It could be a brain tumour
It's nodda toomah!!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-17-2019, 12:37 PM
Helena Lake's Avatar
Helena Lake Helena Lake is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky
Posts: 3,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Albert says I know you don't know. This means it can't be May or June. If it was, then it's possible the birthday is May 19th, or June 18th, and Bernard would know.

So then Bernard says, I still don't know. This eliminates July 16, Aug 15 and Aug 17. Since if Bernard was told any day other than 14, he would know.

Albert then says "Now I know, only since you don't know." This means the only reason why he knows, is because Bernard doesn't know. That is to say if Albert was told July, he would know the birthday regardless. If Bernard knows, it's July 16. If Bernard doesn't know, it's July 14.

But if he's told August, then if Bernard knows, Albert still wouldn't know. It could be August 15 or August 17. But since Bernard doesn't know, he knows it's August 14th.
That first step is where I went wrong. Being certain that Bernard cannot know would rule out ALL of May, which I didn't do. Once past that, then it's easy to follow the rest.

Thank you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieSanders2016 View Post
I don't think calling beliefs absurd and bullshit is criticism, it's insulting.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.13814 seconds with 9 queries