Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 07-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
What's the highest number of times an endorsed candidate has appeared on a SOA ballot before getting elected?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
Yup. And even if he had lost, most people don't run over and over again -- and perhaps would not be allowed to do so by the Nominating Committee. The only notable exception is Cecil Bykerk, who ran four consecutive times (2004-07) before finally winning a squeaker (Dale Yamamoto had more first-place votes) in 2007. And he did essentially nothing to rock the boat as SOA president (or as AAA president or as IAA president). That's what the Nominating Committee is looking for, apparently. It's sad.

Bruce

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-03-2015, 11:36 AM

Default Please Nominate Jim Glickman for SOA President

Hi All,

In the spirit of Actuarial Outpost, I thought you might want to see some early, unofficial nomination data.

After only 2 days, it looks like Jim's early progress toward the nomination goal of 660 is twice as fast as last year at nearly 200 self-reported nominations already! Please keep it up and spread the word!

I have also attached an Excel table to this post with some more data from last year's election. If anybody knows how to post the table as an image directly in the thread, please feel free to repost. Thanks!

Jim Glickman Nomination Progress.xlsx

Br,
Marc Glickman, FSA
Old 07-09-2015, 11:17 AM
SOA AAA

Location: SW Colorado looking South towards the San Juan Mountains
College: IIT Graduate - Math, English, Philosophy
Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmdog View Post
Hi All,

In the spirit of Actuarial Outpost, I thought you might want to see some early, unofficial nomination data.

After only 2 days, it looks like Jim's early progress toward the nomination goal of 660 is twice as fast as last year at nearly 200 self-reported nominations already! Please keep it up and spread the word!

I have also attached an Excel table to this post with some more data from last year's election. If anybody knows how to post the table as an image directly in the thread, please feel free to repost. Thanks!

Attachment 34117

Br,
Marc Glickman, FSA
I wish Jim success in this effort. And, I hope enough members vote all together so that all three PE petition candidates make it to the final ballot - Jim Glickman, Tom Herget and Tom Bakos.

That is the only way the SoA membership can show it is interested and wants a real choice in this election.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Served as SOA Board member: 2002 - 2005 and (as VP) 2008 - 2010
Old 07-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76
College: MIT '74

Jim got more than 500 petition signatures last year and almost 2000 actual votes for president-elect (not to mention having been elected to the SOA Board twice before). With that much (non-debatable) support, sane people would expect the Nominating Committee to acknowledge Jim's legitimacy as a candidate and put him on the ballot.

Keep in mind that the Nominating Committee endorsed only two candidates, not the "recommended" three. But even with an open third spot, Jim was excluded. And so was Tom Herget, without explanation.

This has gotten so old. I'm just disgusted at this point. I may not vote at all. (I did sign Tom Bakos's petition, but with three people vying for the threshold 660 signatures, I wouldn't be surprised if all three fail, which would be a real shame.)

Bruce
Old 07-14-2015, 06:53 PM
SOA AAA

Location: SW Colorado looking South towards the San Juan Mountains
College: IIT Graduate - Math, English, Philosophy
Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
Jim got more than 500 petition signatures last year and almost 2000 actual votes for president-elect (not to mention having been elected to the SOA Board twice before). With that much (non-debatable) support, sane people would expect the Nominating Committee to acknowledge Jim's legitimacy as a candidate and put him on the ballot.

Keep in mind that the Nominating Committee endorsed only two candidates, not the "recommended" three. But even with an open third spot, Jim was excluded. And so was Tom Herget, without explanation.

This has gotten so old. I'm just disgusted at this point. I may not vote at all. (I did sign Tom Bakos's petition, but with three people vying for the threshold 660 signatures, I wouldn't be surprised if all three fail, which would be a real shame.)

Bruce
Also, it should be pointed out, the NC even endorsed Jim in 2011 (I think) for President Elect. There is nothing wrong with Jim. It is the process the Nominating Committee uses that is insane.

Tom Herget is the good "Tom". One really has to wonder why he was left off a ballot with only 2 endorsed candidates.

This really is something that should be left up to the members.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Served as SOA Board member: 2002 - 2005 and (as VP) 2008 - 2010
Old 07-17-2015, 11:33 AM

Default Nomination Half Way Point

Jim received confirmation that as of yesterday at exactly the halfway point (11 of the 22 business days,) he is at 467 nominations out of the 660 required. There is still plenty of time to get the remaining nominations, so please nominate him if you haven't done so already. Thanks!

Br,
Marc Glickman
Old 07-27-2015, 06:28 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

It seems he made it to 660. Now get all your voting-eligible friends to vote for him in the election!

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:51 AM
SOA AAA

This may be of me, but what happens if Tom Herget also gets more than 660 petition votes? Do they both get on the ballot? Or does only one of them, since the main ballot can only have three people on it?

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens
Old 07-30-2015, 11:56 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
This may be of me, but what happens if Tom Herget also gets more than 660 petition votes? Do they both get on the ballot? Or does only one of them, since the main ballot can only have three people on it?
I don't know where you're getting the idea that the final ballot can only have 3 candidates on it.

There were 4 candidates not all that long ago.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-30-2015, 12:14 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I don't know where you're getting the idea that the final ballot can only have 3 candidates on it.

There were 4 candidates not all that long ago.
Never mind then.

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens