Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 05-21-2019, 02:59 PM
Vorian Atreides's Avatar
Vorian Atreides Vorian Atreides is online now
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: As far as 3 cups of sugar will take you
Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers
Posts: 66,062
Default

Phenomenal Cosmic Power
in an iddy-biddy living space


__________________
I find your lack of faith disturbing

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!


Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-21-2019, 04:14 PM
Gene Yuss Gene Yuss is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter
Posts: 1,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GY
Here's some tips on how to write good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
Here's some tips on how to write well

That's better.
You do realize it was intentional, right? I don't never make grammatical faux pas's
__________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-21-2019, 04:24 PM
Chief Petosky's Avatar
Chief Petosky Chief Petosky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Location: Location
Favorite beer: BBC Bourbon Stout
Posts: 20,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Yuss View Post
You do realize it was intentional, right? I don't never make grammatical faux pas's
You makin' faux pas's at me?
__________________
You move me, you move me, With your buildings and your eyes; autumn woods and winter skies
You move me, you move me. Open sea and city lights, busy streets and dizzy heights
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:04 PM
Werewolf's Avatar
Werewolf Werewolf is offline
Weremember
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fighting with courage
Studying for the Battle of the Bands
Favorite beer: Presidente
Posts: 19,169
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Yuss View Post
You do realize it was intentional, right? I don't never make grammatical faux pas's
You made me look up the plural of faux pas. Turns out it's faux pas. I was kind of hoping for fauxes pas, like attorneys general or mothers-in-law.
__________________
Sideshow Bob's a psychopath who uses proper Kelsey Grammer.


Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraskull
Turns out, annuitize IS DB. Directed by M Night Shyamalan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabeanactuary
I realized WIS was his dump stat a while back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaPoe
Ideologues should be kept far away from power. Starbucks is a good place for them to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
There's no such thing as an overqualified barista. You need somebody who can not only make drinks and run a register, but also engage customers who might have questions about the genderqueer or Hegelian subtext of the latest pretending-to-not-be-from-a-big-label album being hawked on their counter.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:06 PM
Werewolf's Avatar
Werewolf Werewolf is offline
Weremember
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fighting with courage
Studying for the Battle of the Bands
Favorite beer: Presidente
Posts: 19,169
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Yuss View Post
From a Yahoo! sports article: https://sports.yahoo.com/united-stat...005740713.html, the caption for a photo reads:

"Bridget Namiotka alleged that her former figure skating partner, John Coughlin — seen here with Caydee Denney at the 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships — sexually abused her for two years in a series of Facebook posts on Sunday"

So apparently he abused her for 2 years [in a series of Facebook posts] on Sunday.
"In a series of Facebook posts on Sunday, Bridget Namiotka alleged that her former figure skating partner, John Coughlin — seen here with Caydee Denney at the 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships — sexually abused her for two years."

I wonder if this is part of journalistic training: always start with the subject, even if you create a grammatical travesty along the way.
__________________
Sideshow Bob's a psychopath who uses proper Kelsey Grammer.


Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraskull
Turns out, annuitize IS DB. Directed by M Night Shyamalan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabeanactuary
I realized WIS was his dump stat a while back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaPoe
Ideologues should be kept far away from power. Starbucks is a good place for them to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
There's no such thing as an overqualified barista. You need somebody who can not only make drinks and run a register, but also engage customers who might have questions about the genderqueer or Hegelian subtext of the latest pretending-to-not-be-from-a-big-label album being hawked on their counter.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:20 PM
ElDucky's Avatar
ElDucky ElDucky is offline
Free Mason
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In a van, down by the river
Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8
Posts: 43,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
"In a series of Facebook posts on Sunday, Bridget Namiotka alleged that her former figure skating partner, John Coughlin — seen here with Caydee Denney at the 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships — sexually abused her for two years."

I wonder if this is part of journalistic training: always start with the subject, even if you create a grammatical travesty along the way.
Bridget Namiotka alleged, in a series of Facebook posts on Sunday, that her former figure skating partner, John Coughlin — seen here with Caydee Denney at the 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships — sexually abused her for two years
__________________
I live near the cows.

Last edited by ElDucky; 05-21-2019 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:27 PM
NerdAlert's Avatar
NerdAlert NerdAlert is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness
Posts: 7,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
Bridget Namiotka, alleged in a series of Facebook posts on Sunday, that her former figure skating partner, John Coughlin — seen here with Caydee Denney at the 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships — sexually abused her for two years"
That first comma gives me pause.
__________________
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other. - Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:32 PM
NerdAlert's Avatar
NerdAlert NerdAlert is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness
Posts: 7,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
That first comma gives me pause.
This is a damn fine pun and I’ll be damned if it goes unappreciated.
__________________
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other. - Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:38 PM
ElDucky's Avatar
ElDucky ElDucky is offline
Free Mason
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In a van, down by the river
Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8
Posts: 43,580
Default

It should be after alleged, or perhaps not at all. Oh well,.
__________________
I live near the cows.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-21-2019, 07:30 PM
Helena Lake's Avatar
Helena Lake Helena Lake is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky
Posts: 6,681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
Bridget Namiotka alleged, in a series of Facebook posts on Sunday, that her former figure skating partner, John Coughlin — seen here with Caydee Denney at the 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships — sexually abused her for two years
Two too many commas there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieSanders2016 View Post
I don't think calling beliefs absurd and bullshit is criticism, it's insulting.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.18374 seconds with 10 queries