Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 09-20-2019, 09:52 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Playing some kerbal again. Just landed on the Mun (USA! USA!).

It's a calm comforting game, for the most part, when you don't feel like throwing your computer out the window.
I like that game a lot, although a couple times I've gotten to the point where I'm starting to explore other planets and it takes so long to transfer into their orbit that I end up missing the timing or end up losing immersion by just ignoring everything else and fast forwarding to when I need to adjust the ship going to said planet.

Seems like some people use alarm mods, perhaps that's the solution?
Old 09-20-2019, 04:04 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

So anyone give Apple Arcade a go yet? I'm planning on it, but haven't yet.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
I like that game a lot, although a couple times I've gotten to the point where I'm starting to explore other planets and it takes so long to transfer into their orbit that I end up missing the timing or end up losing immersion by just ignoring everything else and fast forwarding to when I need to adjust the ship going to said planet.

Seems like some people use alarm mods, perhaps that's the solution?
Definitely never got that far, or that interested in immersion.

I'm perfectly happy to ignore everything else, only worry about one mission at a time. After-all I doubt real rocket scientists are thinking about more than one mission in the course of an afternoon.

I generally 'lose immersion' when I do something stupid, like speed up to 1000x without realizing that my ship is on a course for the atmosphere... or forgetting some important component like an antenna, a fuel tank, a ladder, a parachute. Which is basically all the time because I'm not what folks like call "detail oriented".

One thing I don't like, and I expect it will get worse when I try to land on Kerbal-Mars or whatever, is planning for a long and difficult journey, and having to guesstimate things-- air-resistance, heat-resistance, delta-v... (god forbid I get into slingshots)

It's frustrating because the whole "FUN" of Kerbal is that you get to guesstimate rocket-science, but it's a lot less fun when it takes an hour to find out you were wrong.

It's much much more satisfying when your guesstimate jerks to the left, flips upside down, and explodes spectacularly 12 seconds after take-off.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 09-21-2019 at 02:56 PM..

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one