Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-09-2017, 09:10 PM
R3d Anonymous R3d Anonymous is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willel2338 View Post
As someone who recently commenced college, how do you know that you want to be an Actuary, specifically an FCAS?
I enjoyed studying for and taking Exam P and naturally found and made connections between what I learned for this exam and peculiar life situations in my head all the time. I also love working with numbers and looking at and making numerical evaluations. I really like statistics and was always fascinated with data. I also really like the idea of doing predictive modelling. I also do really well with exam-taking in general and the process of rising up by taking exams is very appealing. I also

And I know I want to be an FCAS because when I first learned about the actuarial profession and job-shadowed, I've always been most interested in working on that side. I've also recently heard that the P&C side is in a better place and it's more statistics-based. Working in auto- and property-insurance feels more interesting to me. Also, a lot of people even within the actuarial community finds a lot of the stuff that has to do with insurance boring, but I personally find it fascinating.

And I won't lie, but to top all that off (and of course this isn't the only reason), the pay gets really good after getting credentialed and even the starting salaries are pretty high.

I'm a Statistics major (and not actuarial science) though, in order to keep some backup prospects in case I do change my mind or if I must change my field for whatever reason.

Last edited by R3d Anonymous; 01-09-2017 at 09:29 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-09-2017, 09:14 PM
redearedslider's Avatar
redearedslider redearedslider is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,993
Default

should do data science
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-09-2017, 09:16 PM
R3d Anonymous R3d Anonymous is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
should do data science
I've heard this before. lol I even started a thread about it. Why do you say so?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-09-2017, 09:45 PM
willel2338's Avatar
willel2338 willel2338 is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The New South
College: The University of Alabama
Favorite beer: Chimay Grande Réserve
Posts: 2,322
Default

Make sure you take Real Analysis too.
__________________
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."
--Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-09-2017, 09:48 PM
R3d Anonymous R3d Anonymous is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willel2338 View Post
Make sure you take Real Analysis too.
lol
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-11-2017, 07:54 PM
Westley Westley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 29,644
Default

So, some random thoughts, all based on the very tiny bit of your life that has been revealed on the AO. Put another way, here's what I think, but only you can really answer this for yourself because snap judgments based on online posting don't tell much.


Quote:
Originally Posted by R3d Anonymous View Post
I'd say that my twenties (while not in college) are more important to me than my college life. I would also say that I'm a late-bloomer overall when it comes to these sort of things.
Most people, twenties are an extension of college. If not drinking and not partying are getting in the way of socializing and friendships (not sure if that's what you're saying) I don't think that changes just because you're out of school and making money. Basically, not much changes in the way most people socialize between college and the rest of 20s. And, burying yourself in exams isn't going to help with that (quite the opposite). Same goes for the comments on finding an SO, for generic American culture (not necessarily true if you're first-generation in America and still immersed in that culture, FWIW).

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3d Anonymous View Post
I haven't had any luck with the hooking up thing because that really only happens at parties or within fraternities and I'm not that kind of guy. If I can, I'll date, but especially because I may want to relocate sometime within the next few years and a lot of women here are either taken or not looking for a relationship, I also don't mind putting this off until a few years later if I must
I'd just say that your comments exhibit a general cluelessness about social norms*, which IMHO you should be spending time getting better info on, by being out and socializing. And unless you're at a very small and very wild college, fraternities and alcohol are not necessary for this.

*For example: hooking up only happens at parties or within fraternities. Was false when I was in college 100 years ago, although perhaps people have just become significantly more conservative on such things since I was in college?**



**No they have not

Just a lot of "Well, this will all be better down the road so I'll sit and study now", which was sort of my take when I was young and was a mistake for me, which is why I advise a different path for you. But could be just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3d Anonymous View Post
Now there's no reason I can't socialize and have some friends (in fact, I already kind of do) and I'll definitely work on my communication skills, but I'm just saying that I really don't mind all of the social and college experience stuff that's not too important to me in the first place taking a backseat in exchange for speeding through exams (that I enjoy) and freeing up my twenties. It's just choosing between what you value more - college or your working twenties..
Not having a "normal" college experience can have its own impact on your future - both socially and professionally. Giving that up to pass a bunch of exams? Not worth it IMO. YMMV.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-12-2017, 09:20 AM
yoyo's Avatar
yoyo yoyo is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 24,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
If you get an internship, I think non-actuarial experience is completely worthless and wouldn't worry about it AT ALL for EL purposes.

For internship, also not worth much, but two caveats to that statement:
1) Depends on your def'n of non-relevant. I think retail or pizza delivery or whatever is 0% relevant. Something like tutor is more like 25% relevant. TA would be slightly more relevant. And office work, even something like secretarial or whatever would be slightly more relevant. So, there's lots of work that is slightly relevant, even if not actuarial.
2) You have to have something to put on your resume (not really that important tbh) and (much more importantly) you need to have something to talk about when you're interviewing. You probably think that having a funny story about delivering pizza that is only the tiniest bit relevant to actuarial isn't worth much. You'd be wrong. If the story: A) makes the interviewer laugh, B) makes the interviewer remember you, and C) has some tiny nugget - no matter how small - that allows the interviewer to say "I can see how that will help him be a good actuary for us", then that story is solid gold. You can get these stories from a lot of places, but getting them from work is the most common for most.


Also, I think you're worried about all the wrong stuff (I think I've said this before, but honestly might be confusing you with another poster). Unless you're in a tight situation financially, you should be enjoying college; if you're not enjoying college: 1) You're probably not going to enjoy being out and making money much more; and 2) the fact that you're not enjoying college makes me very suspicious that you are lacking in social skills that are going to hold you back professionally, and you'd be a lot better off focusing on that.
maybe it's because of my own background, but i place a lot of importance on having work history, any work history at all, when looking at EL candidates. "relevant" to me means you demonstrated responsibility by taking on work, showing up, not getting fired. better yet if you worked during the school year, you demonstrated that you were able to juggle both school and work. important to do that kind of thing as an employed actuarial student

all else equal, i'll take a candidate with work history and fewer exams over a candidate with no work history and more exams


Lesson to OP: You're possibly screwed either way because you might be interviewing with Westley or you might be interviewing with yoyo

Westley is spot on with the story thing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
babysitting, chessboxing, data science, real analysis

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.43179 seconds with 9 queries