Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 6-8
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-01-2017, 07:22 AM
SOA

Default CDEF Risk/Return Requirements

Hopefully this doesn't get too specific, and can be more of a discussion. I'm working on FA Task 2, and am trying to set the risk and return requirements. I think setting the risk requirement is fairly straightforward; start with the risk metric(s) provided in the model that you feel adequately measures the level of risk of the portfolio, and bound that metric. For the return requirement, I'm struggling to see a specific metric in the model that could somehow be used to define the return requirement or measure investment returns. The metrics all seem to be related to risk, which I wouldn't think should also be used to determine a return requirement.

I realize that the metrics provided will be minimized when returns on investments are maximized, so maybe placing a bound on the mean would be sufficient..? But I'm not sure that's how I should be thinking about this.

Does anyone who's worked on CDEF have any general thoughts on determining the return requirement or suggestions for what I should be focusing on in the model in relation to the return?
Old 04-01-2017, 08:11 AM

You probably want the fund to remain solvent
Old 04-01-2017, 08:34 AM
SOA

Yes, that's definitely important! But in terms of setting the return requirement, should the actual return requirement be some specific guideline that can be used to ensure the fund is solvent, or is generally stating "the return on assets must be great enough to remain solvent" sufficient?
Old 04-01-2017, 08:58 AM

That's for you to figure out. Read the provided information and determine how you should approach this. Unless you suggest something incredibly stupid and/or justify poorly - you will pass.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:06 AM
SOA

Determining the risk/reward requirements is a big part of the FA. The reward requirement is particularly subjective.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:41 AM

Can someone point me to the Module/Section where risk/return requirement is discussed? Or even textbook reading pages? TIA
Old 01-19-2018, 11:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaznstylegrlx View Post
Can someone point me to the Module/Section where risk/return requirement is discussed? Or even textbook reading pages? TIA
Bump
Old 03-19-2018, 11:03 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaznstylegrlx View Post
double bump
Old 03-19-2018, 01:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorngrrrrrrrl View Post
double bump
I didnít see it in the slide readings.

This is why I made this post http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=330243
Old 03-19-2018, 01:47 PM
SOA

I put something like return requirement is return metrics satisfies blablabla, and risk requirement as risk metrics satisfies blablabla, blablabla being numbers. Any thoughts?

Tags
cdef