Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 AM

Extra wide green ledger pads. That was my spreadsheet before Lotus. Had to verify a number of worksheets had done to make sure there hadn't been any calculation mistakes. Way too time consuming!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
Extra wide green ledger pads. That was my spreadsheet before Lotus. Had to verify a number of worksheets had done to make sure there hadn't been any calculation mistakes. Way too time consuming!
Yes - red-dotting somebody elses greenbar sheets. That was mostly the first six months of my first job.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:51 PM
CAS

This was an entertaining re-read, nine years later.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:05 AM
SOA AAA

College: SUNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gile View Post
Lord, yes, in the 70s the actuarial programmer (me) was responsible for (a) creating the data on machines built in the 40s and 50s and (b) sending said cards to the computer operator for my runs. I remember that the pound sign on the card punching machine had a special (long forgotten by me) meaning! I remember punching cards for mortality table values. That was incredibly tedious and error prone.
I'm surprised no one mentioned the infamous "EOJ" card. You had to put it at the end of your deck when you read your punch cards in so the computer knew when the next person's job started. Otherwise, you got a bunch of junk at the end of your printout and the next person didn't get anything. People would get somewhat irate when this happened because it could cost them a significant amount of time between figuring out what happened, getting the right cards back, making sure they were still in the correct order, and then resending the job.