Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 02-09-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
...and I'm seeing other issues brought up in the blog post comments.

I think Mahler has some good things in his:
http://blog.casact.org/2012/02/08/an.../#comment-1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Mahler
I think a goal should be that the students have enough time to demonstrate everything they know. Time pressure should not be an issue for most students on most exams.
i'm glad he stated this (and other commenters have stated it too).

i've sat for four upper-levels. not only have i never finished an exam, but i have never answered more than 90% of the points. still, i have managed to pass two of the four sittings, including this sitting of exam 6U on my first attempt.

time pressure is an issue for me on every exam. in fact, i would go so far as to say that it's the only issue i worry about; i never doubt my knowledge of the material, only my ability to answer enough questions in the allotted time.

there is another excellent comment by Jeremy Fogg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Fogg
Research has indicated that the best way to assess the higher levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy is through projects and open-ended assignments–reflecting the need for a considerable amount of time by the student–and not through timed-exams. In situations that require some form of timed examination, the exam should be focused solely on the specific task at the higher level being assessed.
i hope the CAS is asking themselves whether making every exam a time crunch is an effective way to assess knowledge of material.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:00 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourKicks View Post
i hope the CAS is asking themselves whether making every exam a time crunch is an effective way to assess knowledge of material.
But this is the problem. Many people felt time wasn't an issue. People who do seem to have this problem on every exam, so you can't isolate this one.

So apparently Mahler's comment was sent after mine and he adds one more option which is that the EC could be lazy because they didn't take the time to fully assess the quality of the exam. I can't assess that so it doesn't enter my binary world.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tude View Post
But this is the problem. Many people felt time wasn't an issue. People who do seem to have this problem [have it] on every exam, so you can't isolate this one.
I added what I'm interpreting the post was intended to say; please correct me if I'm wrong.

The balancing act between time spent on a problem and writting enough on a problem to get most (if not all) credit is a concern.

You're right in that time may not be the (only) issue that needs to be addressed, but it does need to be considered and not just dismissed simply because most students have not expressed concern about it.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 02-09-2012, 04:54 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Er, no, not at all. There is an enormous difference between trying to restrict membership based on pure numbers and having a good or bad method of distinguishing who "demonstrated minimum qualifications". I don't think the exam committee was offended by comments that their process might have flaws. Rather, they were offended by claims that they were just screwing over candidates to restrict membership in the club. And those claims were, imo, offensive to the volunteers who work their butts off trying to do the right thing.
I agree that "there is an enormous difference between trying to restrict membership based on pure numbers and having a good or bad method of distinguishing who 'demonstrated minimum qualifications.'" My position is that commenting at all on the age old generic charge of artificially restricting membership was overly defensive and inappropriate. It sort of puts them on the level of the trolls on the AO that make such charges.

Frankly, even though I may agree that the outcome of the current exam program is to artificially restrict entry, I don't believe that it's the personal goal of any material number of exam committee members. For someone to make a public and professional charge of setting an artificial barrier to entry is offensive. For some blow hard on the AO to bellyache along those lines may be offensive, but dealing with that sort of thing should have been done in another fashion.

The balance of the committee's original comments were very strongly weighted to the lack of appropriate preparation of the candidate pool with no material acceptance of the possibility that there was a problem with the system. This is the position that prevented any meaningful discussion of any role that the process may have had on the aberrant outcome without throwing the committee under the bus.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
With the agreement of the Vice President – Admissions and the Chair of the Examination Committee, I have directed CAS staff to engage a professional education consulting firm to perform an independent review of our process.
The SOA will be reviewing your process, and recommend that the CAS stop administering exams altogether - you would be better served as an SOA specialty track.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:24 PM

Studying for a field sobriety test
Favorite beer: Grizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who View Post
The SOA will be reviewing your process, and recommend that the CAS stop administering exams altogether - you would be better served as an SOA specialty track.
Get your SOA loving self out of here!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arbitrary View Post
Get your SOA loving self out of here!
Resistance is futile!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Weasley View Post
The balance of the committee's original comments were very strongly weighted to the lack of appropriate preparation of the candidate pool with no material acceptance of the possibility that there was a problem with the system. This is the position that prevented any meaningful discussion of any role that the process may have had on the aberrant outcome without throwing the committee under the bus.
I agree with this. It's not how I read your prior statements.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
but scary that it's probably being considered by some....

Rickson: He is simply taking away from other discussions, a drain on the AO.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:

Since when is the SOA a
Quote:
professional education consulting firm
??

Or for that matter, any part of that description?