Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 01-16-2019, 03:26 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
I started a bit before Christmas. I'm enjoying it so far. Planning to go down to 3x5 sooner than I might otherwise since doing it on top of the other stuff I'm doing has been rough.

There is a really good Stronglifts app that they put out. I "purchased" the full version with some Google Play credit that I had no other use for. It's definitely not necessary, but I like not having to think too much about what to do for warmup sets, etc when I'm getting into this. I can't remember which features are on the free vs. paid version.
Also have the paid version.

It has more customization for adding extra exercises, warmup set instructions, plate calculator (you input what you have available and it does all the math for you), csv file export, automatic changeover to 3x5/3x3/1x3 at recommended plateaus, Google Fit link (and Apple Health IIRC if you are on IOS), lock screen support so you don't have to lock your phone awake or keep tapping the screen to keep it awake during rest phases, account support (cross-platform, migration, etc), and other TBD future features.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:15 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polevault1 View Post
I think hes talking about an Arnold press.
Thank you, yes, that's what I was describing.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:17 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
Also have the paid version.

It has more customization for adding extra exercises, warmup set instructions, plate calculator (you input what you have available and it does all the math for you), csv file export, automatic changeover to 3x5/3x3/1x3 at recommended plateaus, Google Fit link (and Apple Health IIRC if you are on IOS), lock screen support so you don't have to lock your phone awake or keep tapping the screen to keep it awake during rest phases, account support (cross-platform, migration, etc), and other TBD future features.
Thanks for the details! I'll have to pay for that version when I pick it back up (probably in 2 months).
Old 01-17-2019, 12:48 PM
CAS

I’ve used 5x5. It can be part of an effective testosterone boosting regimen that is totally natural and hormone/drug free
Old 01-18-2019, 09:33 AM

I couldn't find the 2.5# plates at the gym this morning, and ended up going up 10# total for each of bench press and row. I am early enough into this that it wasn't a big deal, but about to order plates to bring with me in case I can't find them again in the future. My arms are feeling it.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:37 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo the Clown View Post
I couldn't find the 2.5# plates at the gym this morning, and ended up going up 10# total for each of bench press and row. I am early enough into this that it wasn't a big deal, but about to order plates to bring with me in case I can't find them again in the future. My arms are feeling it.
I've always been able to find them, but they are sparse at my gym. I thought about getting a couple 2.5s to bring along if it becomes a problem.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:49 AM
SOA AAA

A-holes keep stealing them imo

At one point, my gym was keeping them behind the desk and I'd would have to leave my driver's license to borrow them.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 03-19-2019 at 05:53 PM..
Old 01-18-2019, 11:57 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
A-holes keep steal them imo

At one point, my gym was keeping them behind the desk and I'd would have to leave my driver's license to borrow them.
I figured that was the case. All the ones at my gym are branded, so at least if I brought my own they wouldn't think I was stealing them on my way out. There are a bunch of Smith machines right behind the racks, and those are usually good for a couple sets of 2.5s when I need them.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:07 PM
SOA

I'm new to weights and I looked at this program.

I kept getting hung up on the fact that it seemed likely I would drop the weights on myself and die. I'd usually be doing this at my gym at work and I wouldn't expect to have a spotter. It seemed like using the machines would be much safer, even though real weights people seem to scoff at machines.

So, how is this done safely?
Old 01-18-2019, 12:26 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
I'm new to weights and I looked at this program.

I kept getting hung up on the fact that it seemed likely I would drop the weights on myself and die. I'd usually be doing this at my gym at work and I wouldn't expect to have a spotter. It seemed like using the machines would be much safer, even though real weights people seem to scoff at machines.

So, how is this done safely?
It is not all that likely.
Aside: How do you get yourself to drive anywhere, with all the likelihood of a crash and dying and all that? Do you eat, with the likelihood that you might choke on your food?

1. Don't try to lift weight that you've never lifted before. No one's making you throw 300lbs on the bar on your first try. Besides, form is important for safety, and form takes practice at lower weight amounts.

2. It does help immensely to work out with someone who knows how to lift, even if you spend a lot of time taking his/her weights off the bar for your set then putting them back on for his/her set. Consider it supplemental exercise. They can usually provide helpful (safe) tips for lifting.
There are often people waiting for you or resting between sets that can help spot you. Gotta get up the courage to ask them, though.

3. Machines are a bit safer, but they don't work out the muscles in the same way. The squat with a proper form is more than legs.

DISCLAIMER: Not an expert.

Here is what I just read on the website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stronglifts
If you’ve never done these exercises before, haven’t done them in years, or you’re intimidated by free weights, then start with the lowest weights possible. This way you can build up your confidence and practice proper form. Here are the recommended starting weights if you’re new to lifting…

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art