Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-17-2019, 03:34 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Started playing DS3. Really enjoying it a lot so far.

Since I'm avoiding online guides or info, only thing I want to know is if there's a point where I lose access to the DLCs? Or can I do it basically whenever without restriction?
Doing the same with Bloodborne. Had a few things happen where I went "wtf?" and still haven't figured out. Like right outside the Oedon Chapel I picked up an outfit, then just above it this blue hole thing kept flashing and disappearing. I naturally decided to walk in it, teleported up in the air, it flashed "FRENZY" on the screen, and then teleported me back to the ground with like 10% health. No damn clue what I did or if it had any lasting affects on the game.

Souls games provide very little direction on how to play, it's one of the major hurdles in the early game.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:39 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poley McPoleface View Post
I haven't found any use for the gun in boss fights though, aside from Father Gascoigne they just charge right through the bullets. May as well be holding a squirt gun.
Also now realizing this is a good argument for investing in a higher damage gun. The spread of the blunderbuss is helpful in crowds but not a lone target and I also can't stun the bosses, so may as well switch to a higher damage gun so I can get some free damage in. Probably get some good use when the boss has around 2 hits left, just fire off a couple shots to end it while I'm not in range of taking damage.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:48 PM
CAS

Quote:
Also now realizing this is a good argument for investing in a higher damage gun. The spread of the blunderbuss is helpful in crowds but not a lone target and I also can't stun the bosses, so may as well switch to a higher damage gun so I can get some free damage in. Probably get some good use when the boss has around 2 hits left, just fire off a couple shots to end it while I'm not in range of taking damage.
Quite a few bosses are parryable. Rule of thumb is the really huge monsters can't be parried, but the smaller guys can.

The pistol has a wider parry window than the blunderbuss though, which makes it easier. Unless you're going for a specific build, gun should really only be used to parry, not for damage.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:49 PM
CAS

Quote:
Doing the same with Bloodborne. Had a few things happen where I went "wtf?" and still haven't figured out. Like right outside the Oedon Chapel I picked up an outfit, then just above it this blue hole thing kept flashing and disappearing. I naturally decided to walk in it, teleported up in the air, it flashed "FRENZY" on the screen, and then teleported me back to the ground with like 10% health. No damn clue what I did or if it had any lasting affects on the game.

Souls games provide very little direction on how to play, it's one of the major hurdles in the early game.
grant us eyes imo
Old 06-17-2019, 04:08 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Quite a few bosses are parryable. Rule of thumb is the really huge monsters can't be parried, but the smaller guys can.
"Smaller" for a souls games means around the size of an elephant. But yeah that's about what I figured. 3/4 that I've fought have been big so far.
Quote:
The pistol has a wider parry window than the blunderbuss though, which makes it easier. Unless you're going for a specific build, gun should really only be used to parry, not for damage.
Ooooohh didn't realize they gave different parry windows, probably should've guessed that. Blunderbuss was a useful handicap with the early crowds of angry peasants though so I'm fine with how things have gone. Will read descriptions of the other guns and consider a replacement.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
Pre-ordered Bloodstained Ritual of the Night.
Seldom pay full price for a game, but this time I will make an exception.
Iím so torn on this game. I like the idea of a co-op Castlevania, but everything i have seen worries me.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:09 AM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
I’m so torn on this game. I like the idea of a co-op Castlevania, but everything i have seen worries me.
I'm okay. Just want to scratch the SOTN itch.

Currently hunting for CAS Exam 8 Platinum Trophy

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 06-20-2019, 10:36 AM
CAS

Mcleftclick is pretty good right now imo.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:49 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Divinity Original Sin is a much bigger game than I expected. I don't know why I thought it wouldn't be so big... but I just got to Hiberheim, and I still haven't finished all of Luculla Forest... and I'm pretty sure there's still a long ways to go.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:56 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

I haven't touched any game in over two weeks. Not really missing it. I just don't have the time any more. I'm a fan of the big, 100-hour games. Try to do those an hour or two at a time is an exercise in futility.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one