Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 05-15-2013, 05:03 PM
SOA

College: UDLAP
Post Practice "new-syllabus" exercises more in line with the REAL exam type of questions??

Just took MLC and didn't do very well. Do you know where I can find updated exercises according to the new syllabus and more in line with the real exam type of questions?

After taking the exam this spring. I realized that most of the Sample Questions that the SOA posted on its website were clearly below the difficulty level of the actual exam. Probably practicing with the last 3 exams that the SOA released - counting spring 2013 (and that are actually in line with the difficulty level and in context with the new syllabus) is not enough to be well prepared for the REAL exam (even If someone has cleared all the syllabus topics)

Everyone knows that practice is key and I have also observed that most of the exercises available in the study manuals and other materials are somewhat out of the real exam context and also designed under a different scope???. I dont know if some of you share the same feeling or if my perspective is wrong please tell me

I plan to re-take MLC on november (just before the written component will be added) and I'm worried because about 10 questions in this spring 2013 exam seemed weird to me (and not because I didn't know the theory but because I didnt know immediately how to attack the problem and I panicked because of the time pressure) I suppose that was because I didn't worked out the right exercises. Please help!
Old 05-15-2013, 05:08 PM
CAS AAA

My recommendation is ADAPT, forever and always.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:19 PM
SOA

I would recommend the TIA seminar, I knew the process for every problem (although did fall into a few tricks, but that was me rushing)
Old 05-15-2013, 05:24 PM

I feel the same way that I did not have enough time to analyze the problem. Time pressure got me. I looked the test questions today and was able to do most of the one i couldn't answer. My plan is to rework ASM manual again and get adapt for the month prior.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:40 PM
SOA

Studying for DMAC
College: UC Berkeley Alumni
Favorite beer: Hoegaarden

the only practice i did was the 13 practice exams in ASM (after reading through ASM of course, and doing the quizzes along the way) and the last 2 released exam, and i knew how to do every problem on this sitting
Old 05-15-2013, 05:59 PM
SOA

Studying for Group Health Specialty
College: Ball State University Alumni

I used TIA seminar and ADAPT and was very prepared. TIA is quite pricey though.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

ASM is sufficient if you can self teach, but I found my buddy's TIA and ADAPT are better if you'd like a little more direct instruction (although Abe is pretty helpful here to deal with issues as well).

One peeve on TIA is that the practice exams only had video solutions, and I don't get why he wouldn't include the PDF since that is sometimes sufficient for the student. When I was working with my friend on questions he missed in those practice exams, it took us longer than necessary for some that were rather trivial problems and we just wanted to see if the instructor used a different methodology.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:07 PM
SOA

College: Concordia University

Adapt. Get to level 7+, exams anywhere between level 5 and 7 are similar to the real thing. Go through ASM again and try to figure out how to do some of the problems using first principles and not just using the formulas presented. Many of the exam questions have a solution which you can arrive at quickly if you are able to answer (set up) questions intuitively.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: NONE! Whatever gets the job done!

I'm 7.1 on ADAPT and got a 19 on the PAK.

No longer an undergrad.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 PM
SOA

Adapt is the sh*t. It helped me pass MFE in August and now I'm sitting on a 19 for the MLC PAK. Just get to their suggested earned level and you have a great shot.

Tags
exercises, mlc, mlc spring 2013, soa, study