Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 10-07-2019, 03:22 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Default Kids who do awesome stuff for people and I say WTG!

https://ktla.com/2019/10/06/4-norcal...ekhwtq-1yFf8bw

Quote:
4 NorCal Kids Dubbed ‘Junior Detectives’ Help Find Missing 97-Year-Old Woman
Spoiler:
A group of “junior detectives” in Roseville, California, saved the day by helping police locate a missing 97-year-old woman.

The Roseville Police Department alerted the public on September 30 that Glenneta Belford, who has dementia and is mostly non-verbal, had gone missing.

“Help us locate a missing person,” the police department said on Facebook and over loud speakers throughout the community.

Logan Hultman, Kashton Claiborne and Makenna Rogers, all 10, and 11-year-old Hope Claiborne heard the call and immediately sprang into action.

“My friends Hope and Makenna were playing and they heard a helicopter saying a 97-year-old lady was missing,” Logan told CNN.

“So, they came to grab me and my friend Kashton and told us about the missing lady. We all grabbed our bikes and started searching.”

The four children rode around their neighborhood, on sidewalks, streets and nearby trails. They also searched a park near a local middle school.

They even climbed to the top of a hill to get a better view, because police said Belford was known to hide. But on their way down, Logan fell off his bike and scraped his arm and leg.

Slightly fazed, but not discouraged, the group returned to Logan’s home to apply bandages and eat dinner before resuming their mission.

Nearly two and a half hours after Belford was reported missing, they spotted her.

“She was talking to herself and kept saying ‘Go away, go away, I’m talking to my friend,’ but nobody was there,” Logan said. “Hope called 911 and we waited with her until they arrived.”

CNN has reached out to Belford’s family for comment, but has not received a response.

Logan said the group of friends were excited and happy to have found the woman safe.

“We had a party in my tree house eating goldfish and watching TikToks to celebrate,” said Makenna.

Alyssa Hultman, Logan’s mom, said the parents were “humbled and proud” of their kids for the help they provided.

“They are a great group of caring kids and its events like this that will really help shape them into their future selves,” added Kristina Rogers, Makenna’s mom.

The Roseville Police Department shared a photo of the group on Facebook and said dispatchers were surprised to get a call from the “junior detectives.”

“This is a great example of our exceptional community coming together to lend a helping hand,” Roseville Police said. “This proves a great point, age is just a number and anyone can help out in a time of need.”

When asked why they decided to help, Logan, who now wants to be a detective when he grows up, replied: “Because when someone needs help, you help them.”
Great going, junior detectives!

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-08-2019, 10:16 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1695814 View Post
Kids who do awesome stuff for adults and I say WTG!

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/...ling-for-help/

Quote:
Precocious Northern California preschooler helps save mother’s life by calling for help
4-year-old rings 911, gives dispatcher address when mother has heart attack

By Robin Epley | Chico Enterprise-Record Contributor
PUBLISHED: April 6, 2019 at 2:39 am | UPDATED: April 6, 2019 at 6:43 am

CHICO — Ancient Greek goddess Athena was known for her courage, wisdom and strength.

Modern-day Chico heroine, Athena Spear, 4, has certainly taken her namesake’s skills to heart.

The preschooler called 911 on Wednesday morning when her mother, Yvonne Spear, suffered a massive heart attack and stopped breathing while they were getting ready for school.

After Athena called 911, Yvonne suffered a second massive heart attack in the ambulance and it took almost 15 minutes for emergency crews to revive her heart, said a family member.

Athena’s mother is currently in the intensive care unit at Enloe Medical Center in Chico, but her brother Jason Spear said she is up and able to talk to them about what happened. Yvonne is likely suffering from a host of medical and neurological issues due to the severe heart attacks, her brother said, but “she is recovering” and they are hoping she will be out of any danger soon.

Unfortunately, Athena isn’t able to visit her mother in the ICU, and regardless, the family is hoping to spare her the sight of her mother in a hospital bed, Jason Spear said.

“We are all very proud of her, she did a miraculous job,” he said.

“I came up from Napa and the moment I stepped out of the elevator … first thing I did was scoop up Athena,” he said. “I told her I absolutely loved her for saving her mommy’s life and I would never ever forget it.”

Ann Nelson, administrator of Smart Start Preschool in Chico said the school works with the children on how to call 911 at least once a year, and police and fire personnel often visit in full uniform so the kids aren’t scared during an emergency situation.

Athena has been at the preschool for at least two years, and will be entering kindergarten in the fall, so she’s been through the program a couple of times, Nelson said. The school also encourages parents to work with their children at home on the skills.

“I said, ‘Did mom tell you to call?’ and she said ‘No, I just knew,’” Nelson said. “I love that mom followed through.”

Nelson said Athena told her 911 was, “an easy number to remember.”

“I used it on the phone and I practiced with mommy,” Athena said.

The precocious preschooler said a woman answered the 911 call, but she doesn’t really remember what happened after that, just that “the doctors” arrived and took her mommy to the hospital.

Jason Spear said not only did Athena call 911 and give her address correctly, but she also helped the responding ambulance crew locate her mother’s phone, and then her father’s number in it. Yvonne told him that she doesn’t remember if she told Athena to make the phone call or if her daughter did it on her own, but either way, the 4-year-old knew exactly what to do.

“(Yvonne) was sprawled on the floor, and Athena made the phone call,” Jason Spear said. He said she “absolutely, without a doubt” saved her mother’s life.

“It’s something to be exceptionally proud of,” he said.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:45 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

LinkedIn Profile