Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-18-2019, 12:10 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
:
I'm definitely pro-1 page. The point of the resume is to get to a longer conversation, so in my view the 1 page is the top page of information about me. If you have 2 pages of information then that first page must be incredible and they'll hear all about the second page in the interview.

I don't list my "experience" by job, I have a section for experience that highlights projects and/or experience that are relevant to the position. Work history is a completely different section and it is literally just names of companies and dates of employment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Yeah, don't have an education "section", just list it someplace. I have two degrees and they take two lines. FCAS and MAAA are a third line. They're at the top of the resume, with no special formatting or section breaks, before you get to the meat of the resume.
I have an education and professional designations section that includes my degrees and letters, usually in reverse chronological order so the degrees are at the bottom of the list.
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 10-18-2019, 12:15 PM

The one-page rule is obsolete after 5 or 6 years of experience. Just don't feel pressured to fill up that entire second page with random prattling and all will be good.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:07 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
I stopped following the one page rule a while ago.

I assume nobody will look past the first page, so I put the stuff I want them to see on there, but my full resume is 2 or 3 pages long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
Oh yeah, I missed this bit the first time. I think the one page rule is completely bogus. My resume is 2 pages. Make it as long as it needs to be.

I agree with the part about putting the stuff you want them to see on the front. The second page is for less relevant previous jobs, education, volunteerism, and "other" experience. I will say, though, that I know people are reading that page because I always get asked about my secondment, and that's in the bottom half of the second page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urysohn View Post
The one-page rule is obsolete after 5 or 6 years of experience. Just don't feel pressured to fill up that entire second page with random prattling and all will be good.
I agree that it's fine to have a resume longer than one page, as long as you have enough actuarial experience to back it up. EL's should stick to the one page rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:18 PM
Revered
CAS AAA

Studying for the Beach
Favorite beer: Carib

I would leave it on if just for the off chance it starts a conversation. I actually still have my high school because it is a unique one.
curls for the girls

Spoiler:

]
Old 10-18-2019, 01:36 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
20%??? Put it on one line, at the bottom.

I'd wonder if you left it off. I might wonder legal things, like whether you have a degree, and I might wonder illegal things, like whether you are trying to disguise the fact that you are an 86 year old career changer.

A woman in another industry told me that in her field, it's becoming common to only list the last 10 years or so of your experience. If that were the case, you could, of course, leave off the education. But we are a conservative industry and that would be weird here.
I haven't looked for a job in ages, but I approve of the only listing the last 10 years or so. how the heck am I supposed to even remember in detail a job I had left almost 14 years ago? I could see listing it just as a company name and title for completeness, but describing what you did there seems so old.
Spoiler:
Old 10-18-2019, 02:33 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
I haven't looked for a job in ages, but I approve of the only listing the last 10 years or so. how the heck am I supposed to even remember in detail a job I had left almost 14 years ago? I could see listing it just as a company name and title for completeness, but describing what you did there seems so old.
Yeah you know what, I might even forget what school I attended...eventually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

As I see it, you should be ready to talk at depth about anything you put on your resume (regardless of length).

If something like school is left off, it might be brought up in an interview; so you should be ready to talk about it to some extent (perhaps not to the same extent as things on your resume).

But things I can see someone would be interested in is major (possibly minors if interesting) and school type (public, private, big name, online-only presence, etc.)

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 10-18-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
I recently changed jobs and stuff I did 20 years ago suddenly became relevant. And it turned out that with a little brushing up, I was still pretty knowledgeable in that area.

But everyone's situation is different. I certainly agree that you shouldn't put anything on your resume that you aren't prepared to discuss.