Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 10-21-2019, 01:22 PM
SOA

Thereís no way the Nationals will outhit the Astros with Verlander, Cole, and Greinke in their SP lineup. The WS winner was already set to be the Astros or Yankees. Yankees fans didnít deserve a World Series the way they acted
Old 10-21-2019, 02:03 PM
ASPPA COPA

Studying for Nothing.
Favorite beer: Massive Quantities

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Thereís no way the Nationals will outhit the Astros with Verlander, Cole, and Greinke in their SP lineup. The WS winner was already set to be the Astros or Yankees. Yankees fans didnít deserve a World Series the way they acted
The Astros just hit .179/.281/.318 v the Yankees and didn't have to hit against Scherzer or Straburg. I mean sure Astro are big favorites to win the WS but Yankees were big favorites in 2003 after the Yankee Red Sox "World Series" but the the Marlins won that one. So I wouldn't say the result is a foregone conclusion before the first pitch.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:04 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
For posterity.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 10-21-2019, 02:54 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
Seemed that the Dodgers were set to represent the NL, so much for Hollywood endings.... And while I agree that the drunk obnoxious fans didn't deserve a World Series, I would say that guys like yankeetripper and me who suffered for 10 long years since our last title very much deserved a World Series. I have experienced it just 7 times in my lifetime
Old 10-21-2019, 03:00 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

It wasn't about hitting, but execution. Astros played better fundamental ball and fielded better.

Isn't Happ a starter? Why use him in relief and only for two innings? I don't get using 7 pitchers, what would have happened if the game went to extra innings? How many arms were left?
Old 10-21-2019, 03:21 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
It wasn't about hitting, but execution. Astros played better fundamental ball and fielded better.

Isn't Happ a starter? Why use him in relief and only for two innings? I don't get using 7 pitchers, what would have happened if the game went to extra innings? How many arms were left?
As someone with a 4.91 ERA Happ wasn't really starter worthy. By shelling out big bucks to setup guys like Britton and Ottavino the Yankees were using the Brewers/Rays model of shortening the innings pitched by starters. Over a season, you run the risk of burning your guys out. Until a team that uses this model shows that it is capable of winning a championship, it seems to me that the best teams out there are the ones with the top starters.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:28 PM
ASPPA COPA

Studying for Nothing.
Favorite beer: Massive Quantities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post

The series was actually really close. Yes the Astros played better defense and that may have been the difference plus they had 2 walk off HRs. A couple of the games came down to who hit HRs with men on base v who hit solo HRs. Both teams sucks all series with RISP I think they both something like 5/32 each with RISP give or take.

But I think having to rely so much on Green/Kahlne/Britton in particular during the series caught up with them in G6 as none of them looked very sharp in G6.

I think the only team so far to rely heavily on the BP in the post season and win it all is KC - though Boston was close last year but several of the guys coming out the pen were starters not traditional relievers like the Yanks tried this year.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:14 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeetripper View Post
I think the only team so far to rely heavily on the BP in the post season and win it all is KC - though Boston was close last year but several of the guys coming out the pen were starters not traditional relievers like the Yanks tried this year.
They were kind of forced into it, having lost Severino and Montgomery for most of the year and not willing to give away Deivi Garcia or any other top prospects, much less pay the luxury tax for an ace-caliber starter.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:05 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Newcastle - Brown Ale rules

Quote:
There’s no way the Nationals will outhit the Astros with Verlander, Cole, and Greinke in their SP lineup. The WS winner was already set to be the Astros or Yankees. Yankees fans didn’t deserve a World Series the way they acted
At this point I'm ok with either Astros or Nationals winning but I disagree this would be a cakewalk for Astros. Astros may still win but not the lopsided favorites most predict.

Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg, Corbin, and Sanchez are just as potent. The only question mark is whether Soto, Rendon, and Kendrick will come back to the form in NLDS and NLCS. The only hurdle in the past was getting past NLDS but with this rotation anything can happen.

I'll be very surprised if Nationals just roll over in 4 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeetripper View Post
The Astros just hit .179/.281/.318 v the Yankees and didn't have to hit against Scherzer or Straburg. I mean sure Astro are big favorites to win the WS but Yankees were big favorites in 2003 after the Yankee Red Sox "World Series" but the the Marlins won that one. So I wouldn't say the result is a foregone conclusion before the first pitch.
I always felt Red Sox didn't lose ALCS 2003, they simply wore out the Yankees and by the time they reached WS they were burned out. It's like Red Sox helped Marlins win WS.

Last edited by neofan; 10-23-2019 at 07:50 AM..
Old 10-23-2019, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofan View Post
I'll be very surprised if Nationals just roll over in 4 games.