Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-29-2018, 03:18 PM
SOA AAA

Default 2019 MLB Baseball Thread

Congrats to the Red Sox.

Now the new season starts.

Of course, there is a power ranking released today.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...2019-offseason

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 10-29-2018, 03:20 PM
ASPPA COPA

Studying for Nothing.
Favorite beer: Massive Quantities

at those prelim rankings - hey Boston just won 108 games and buzz sawed NYY, HOU, LAD in the playoffs let's rank them 4 below those those other 3 for maximum troll effect!
Old 10-29-2018, 03:25 PM
SOA AAA

They're due, for more losses!

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 10-29-2018, 03:33 PM
CAS

Well, it's not just about how teams finished, it's about predicting their offseasons. If a team has a bunch of free agents leaving, you need to take that into account. For Boston, they consider the fact that Kimbrel is a free agent, and that Sale has some shoulder trouble.
But yeah, I still don't get how they're not in the top 2.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:39 PM
SOA AAA

BoSox all getting a year older, and won't think they need to improve. Dodgers and Yankees are going to try to improve using money and smarts. Astros are still young, I think, so getting a year older is actually better.

WTF knows, though. Just a stupid exercise in clickbaiting.

Good questions now are how much does baseball think Harper and Machado and Kershaw (if...) are worth. I'm guessing not as much as their agents think they're worth. And since they might want to go only to playoff-caliber teams, that really narrows the market.
Probably should sign with the Marlins for two years, then get traded to playoff caliber team next July.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:50 PM
CAS

I'm not so sure Kershaw will opt out - I think he tries to work a new deal with LA instead of becoming a free agent.
Here's what I'd like to see for LA this offseason (I'd posted it in the 2018 thread as well):
If Kershaw opts out, let him walk. I know, he's been the face of the franchise for so long, it's tough. But with his injuries and lack of any real postseason success, he'd not worth the money he's going to demand. Let some other team deal with it.
Don't even attempt to get Machado. The guy is a punk, and is poison in the clubhouse. He doesn't play hard, but does play dirty. You don't need that.
Either tell Roberts not to go with the stats all the time, or just let him go. LA should have had a way better record than they did, and his postseason management was terrible. They didn't get to the World Series because of him, it was in spite of him.

In the free agent market, there are some great names available. If Kershaw leaves (or maybe even if he doesn't), try to sign Patrick Corbin and/or Eovaldi as starters. Familia and Kimbrel are free agents as is Adam Ottavino, and they can shore up the bullpen and also provide backup to Jansen.

Resign Grandal as there are no better catchers available. Make a strong play for Bryce Harper, but don't go all-in - he's not as great as he was a few years back, and Trout may be available in a couple of years.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:19 PM
SOA AAA

That's a thing about stats. Use them as a strategy for a whole season, and you should win a lot of games.
Like, launch angles, and changing pitchers after so many pitches.

But, to win a specific game, and to win four before you lose four, a different strategy might be needed. Not once did these guys choke up on two strikes, there were LOTS of two-strike counts. It's always swing for the fence. It's almost always ignore the shift (I did see one possibly accidental flare to left field).

Old 10-29-2018, 06:55 PM
Non-Actuary

I said this about the Phillies at the start of the 2018 season:

Quote:
My bold prediction: Phillies will be garbage in 2018, maybe a little better than they finished in 2017. In 2019, they'll finish close to 0.500. In 2020, they'll make the playoffs. In 2021, they'll win the World Series. They're getting the young talent now, and they're going about the rebuild thing correctly.
So far, it’s looking like this timeline is on track, maybe even a year ahead of schedule (they finished at 80-82 in 2018). I’m still calling for roughly the same timeline. They might be a little better than 0.500 in 2019, but will miss the playoffs. They’ll make the playoffs in 2020, and win it all in 2021. Braves will win the NL East in 2019, followed by the Phillies, the Mets, the Nationals, and the Marlins in that order.

Anyone want to kick off the Bryce Harper speculation? Yankees have come out saying they’re not all that interested, but obviously still monitoring the situation. I’m guessing he wears a different uniform in 2019. The Nationals’ window seems to be closing. Giving Bryce a huge extension basically bets the team’s chances for the next decade on a single player with notable reliability issues (An excellent 10 WAR in 2015, but just 1.1, 1.5, and 1.3 WAR in 2014, 2016, and 2018 respectively). He’s clearly an above-average player, but I don’t think he’s worth betting the club’s future. Build around Scherzer / Turner / Soto / Robles instead (plus all the cash they won’t be paying Harper), and you have a contender even if Bryce’s production falls off. Bet the farm on Bryce, and maybe you get a title or two out of it, but you could also be a bottom feeder until the 2030s if it doesn’t pan out.

As for the Dodgers, I think Kershaw stays, but Machado goes somewhere else.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:26 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeetripper View Post
at those prelim rankings - hey Boston just won 108 games and buzz sawed NYY, HOU, LAD in the playoffs let's rank them 4 below those those other 3 for maximum troll effect!
I can understand the logic - Yankees followed their magical 1998 season with 98 wins, with the only major roster change being replacing Wells with Clemens. It's tough to expect players to maintain that type of focus after a historically great season, and with the Yankees expected to spend big in the FA market as well as their younger players (and manager) benefiting from another year of experience it's not a stretch to say that the Sox will dip below them this year but still be good enough to make the playoffs and then some.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:18 PM
SOA AAA

Harper turns down $300M/10Y contract with Nats.
I'm wondering what will happen when no one matches or exceeds that, and then the Nats pull this offer.

Reds take Dodger hitting coach off their hands. Thanks! I was wondering who was doing all the non-coaching of hitters, especially in a series where your team needs to win four before the other team wins four. Choke up! Put it in play! Hit the ball to a place on the field where the opposition is not positioned, as Wee Willie Keeler once said (paraphrased). Sure, going for the fences 100% will net some greater number of wins during a regular season against mostly lesser opponents. But not against the best teams. Like using cash game poker strategy and math in a tournament.