Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MAS-I
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

MAS-I Old Exam S Forum

Old 04-29-2019, 12:43 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco_pabs View Post
I've seen multiple posts/comments about using the source material instead of TIA/CA. I think I am going to go this route for this sitting. Does anyone know if all of the books should be read completely or if some of them have only sections that are applicable to the exam?
The syllabus tells you for each topic which chapters from the textbooks are relevant, there's no textbook that is required reading in-full. The study notes are fully required.

https://www.casact.org/admissions/syllabus/ExamMASI.pdf

There's also a mapping of the stats and extended linear models topics to their available textbooks on the CAS website.

https://www.casact.org/admissions/sy...SI_Mapping.pdf
Old 04-29-2019, 03:11 PM
CAS

Quote:
I've seen multiple posts/comments about using the source material instead of TIA/CA. I think I am going to go this route for this sitting. Does anyone know if all of the books should be read completely or if some of them have only sections that are applicable to the exam?
When I studied for this exam I personally liked the Time Series book even though not a ton of material from TS was covered.

I also liked the ISLR book as an actual good read.

They both have lots of R, which I highly recommend trying out and seeing what happens (esp. if you're struggling with understanding things conceptually).
Old 05-13-2019, 12:33 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherCareerChanger View Post
When I studied for this exam I personally liked the Time Series book even though not a ton of material from TS was covered.

I also liked the ISLR book as an actual good read.

They both have lots of R, which I highly recommend trying out and seeing what happens (esp. if you're struggling with understanding things conceptually).
About to start preparing for the fall sitting, and I keep seeing the source material being strongly recommended over other offerings. For this, do you have to buy each of the books, or is there a better way to go about it?
Old 05-13-2019, 12:42 AM
CAS AAA

Some of the readings are free, you just download them from the CAS website.

Other books you can borrow from the CAS library if you do not want to purchase them.

That said, I would actually recommend buying the Ross book and the Tse book. Ross is a good basic statistics book that I reference frequently, and the Tse book is used extensively for MAS II also.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:38 AM
CAS

College: Wartburg College

The Ross textbook provides solutions to starred questions only in each chapter. Do we know where we can acquire a solutions manual or instructor's version of this text?
Old 05-13-2019, 12:28 PM

Studying for No More... maybe ST9
College: U of Michigan 2008
Favorite beer: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout

Quote:
The Ross textbook provides solutions to starred questions only in each chapter. Do we know where we can acquire a solutions manual or instructor's version of this text?
Quick googling got me 10th edition for free... Found the 11th edition behind a paywall (chegg). Not sure how different the 10th and 11th edition textbooks are.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:37 PM
CAS

College: Wartburg College

Quote:
Originally Posted by merson View Post
Quick googling got me 10th edition for free... Found the 11th edition behind a paywall (chegg). Not sure how different the 10th and 11th edition textbooks are.
Thanks, I'll look through the 10th and compare it to the 11th. Maybe there aren't many changes in the sections used in MAS-I.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:43 AM
CAS

College: graduated

In for the Fall 2019 sitting, I'll be doing my usual and reading the source material.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:37 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-1
College: Somersby School
Favorite beer: Bulldog Root Beer

I just signed up for TIA to supplement the ASM material I've been using. I've read some comments saying that TIA is overkill on some sections - has anyone found any of the content to be particularly helpful?
Old 06-05-2019, 12:38 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-1
College: Somersby School
Favorite beer: Bulldog Root Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM Section 19.2
The syllabus includes Ross Section 9.5, but none of the learning objectives or knowledge statements mention the main topic of this section, increasing failure rates.
Is anyone bumping into material or questions about increasing failure rates (IFR) or increasing failure rates on the average (IFRA) in their study material?

I searched for "IFR" and "IFRA" and "increasing failure rate" in the TIA forums, but didn't come up with any results. IDK if that means that they don't cover it, or that I'm searching for it wrong. Has anyone seen it covered in Coaching Actuaries or Mahler?