Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-11-2019, 12:24 PM
SOA

College: Western Kentucky University
Default 2019-20 NBA Season

So normally this would wait until the finals were over. But given the situation.

If Durant does have a serious achilles injury does he opt in for his final contract year with the Warriors?

It's $31M+ and he'd be rehabbing almost the entire year. This has all kinds of implications for free agency this and next year given Warrior's luxury tax, Klay's free agency, AD's trade request/free agency next year, ...
Old 06-11-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Daneel Olivaw View Post
So normally this would wait until the finals were over. But given the situation.

If Durant does have a serious achilles injury does he opt in for his final contract year with the Warriors?

It's $31M+ and he'd be rehabbing almost the entire year. This has all kinds of implications for free agency this and next year given Warrior's luxury tax, Klay's free agency, AD's trade request/free agency next year, ...
I'd say it would depend on what the market is saying to him. Would it be crazy for the Knicks to still offer him the max with a torn achilles? Even if it is crazy, would it stop them from actually doing it? If they've had a wink/wink deal for months would they risk losing Durant forever if they back out of the deal because of the injury?

If it's not the case that someone would sign him to a long term deal then I think he definitely opts in with the Warriors. Either way it definitely shakes things up from what we were expecting about the off season.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:35 PM
ASPPA COPA

Studying for Nothing.
Favorite beer: Massive Quantities

One of 3 things will happen with KD
1 opts into 31m, basically doesn’t play and hits FA next summer
2 warriors offer 5 year super max and he takes it
3 supposedly a number of teams are already willing to offer 4 year max deal gotta assume Knicks are one even with injury

So financially KD gonna be OK but he loses a year of his NBA career. I think when they took a look at players who had same injury average time frame is 8 months so basically March if he wants to make a playoff run but some players were never the same after injury and any set back in rehab would be longer.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:44 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Dark Matter
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
I'd say it would depend on what the market is saying to him. Would it be crazy for the Knicks to still offer him the max with a torn achilles? Even if it is crazy, would it stop them from actually doing it? If they've had a wink/wink deal for months would they risk losing Durant forever if they back out of the deal because of the injury?

If it's not the case that someone would sign him to a long term deal then I think he definitely opts in with the Warriors. Either way it definitely shakes things up from what we were expecting about the off season.
KD looks pretty risky. It is sad that he may have been rushed back into the playoffs too early.

There is a pretty good crop of potential free agents this year. I would argue that Kahwi as much as KD could turn a good team into a great team. To date, most of the talk about Kahwi has been him going to the Clippers if he doesnít stay in Toronto but does KDís situation open up a lot more interest in Kahwi? Although Southern California does have non-financial advantages to Kahwi that northern teams donít so not sure how other teams could entice him.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeetripper View Post
One of 3 things will happen with KD
1 opts into 31m, basically doesnít play and hits FA next summer
2 warriors offer 5 year super max and he takes it
3 supposedly a number of teams are already willing to offer 4 year max deal gotta assume Knicks are one even with injury

So financially KD gonna be OK but he loses a year of his NBA career. I think when they took a look at players who had same injury average time frame is 8 months so basically March if he wants to make a playoff run but some players were never the same after injury and any set back in rehab would be longer.
Is that possible? I thought the super max could only come from the team that drafted you?
Old 06-11-2019, 01:19 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Wicked Weed sours

He will opt in for the $31M. Nobody will pay max money for an Achilles injured 31 YO player that will be 32 when he will play again for his 32-36 years...unless that team is the Knicks. If he's out, the Knicks won't get the other player they would need to pair with him. What player would sacrifice a year of their own to maybe get an injured superstar a year later. He will opt in for Warriors.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
If they've had a wink/wink deal for months
Is that what people believe? I have to think that his agent was screaming at him not to play last night, unless they already had a done deal. Kinda weird that he came back unless doctors were 100% comfortable and just wrong about the situation.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:57 PM
SOA AAA

Knicks are that stupid. It is known.

It is known.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 06-11-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Is that what people believe? I have to think that his agent was screaming at him not to play last night, unless they already had a done deal. Kinda weird that he came back unless doctors were 100% comfortable and just wrong about the situation.
I don't find that weird at all. We see athletes play through injuries all the time. They come back before they should even if they know the risks. These guys are extremely competitive and want to be out there trying to win. This is the finals and his team needed him. I'm sure he knew that rushing back this quickly was risky but he still wanted to do it anyways.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:02 PM
SOA AAA

Agreed. It was a must-win. Players play in those games all the time. Willis Reed, anyone? Jack Youngblood?
The off-season is just a game away. Plenty of time to heal then.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art