Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:24 PM
R Daneel Olivaw R Daneel Olivaw is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
College: Western Kentucky University
Posts: 6,404
Default 2019-20 NBA Season

So normally this would wait until the finals were over. But given the situation.

If Durant does have a serious achilles injury does he opt in for his final contract year with the Warriors?

It's $31M+ and he'd be rehabbing almost the entire year. This has all kinds of implications for free agency this and next year given Warrior's luxury tax, Klay's free agency, AD's trade request/free agency next year, ...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Chronus's Avatar
Chronus Chronus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Daneel Olivaw View Post
So normally this would wait until the finals were over. But given the situation.

If Durant does have a serious achilles injury does he opt in for his final contract year with the Warriors?

It's $31M+ and he'd be rehabbing almost the entire year. This has all kinds of implications for free agency this and next year given Warrior's luxury tax, Klay's free agency, AD's trade request/free agency next year, ...
I'd say it would depend on what the market is saying to him. Would it be crazy for the Knicks to still offer him the max with a torn achilles? Even if it is crazy, would it stop them from actually doing it? If they've had a wink/wink deal for months would they risk losing Durant forever if they back out of the deal because of the injury?

If it's not the case that someone would sign him to a long term deal then I think he definitely opts in with the Warriors. Either way it definitely shakes things up from what we were expecting about the off season.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:35 PM
yankeetripper's Avatar
yankeetripper yankeetripper is offline
Member
ASPPA COPA
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Left of Center
Studying for Nothing.
Favorite beer: Massive Quantities
Posts: 46,548
Default

One of 3 things will happen with KD
1 opts into 31m, basically doesn’t play and hits FA next summer
2 warriors offer 5 year super max and he takes it
3 supposedly a number of teams are already willing to offer 4 year max deal gotta assume Knicks are one even with injury

So financially KD gonna be OK but he loses a year of his NBA career. I think when they took a look at players who had same injury average time frame is 8 months so basically March if he wants to make a playoff run but some players were never the same after injury and any set back in rehab would be longer.
__________________
Baseball is life;
the rest is just details.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:44 PM
Cooke Cooke is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Vancouver BC
Favorite beer: Dark Matter
Posts: 3,394
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
I'd say it would depend on what the market is saying to him. Would it be crazy for the Knicks to still offer him the max with a torn achilles? Even if it is crazy, would it stop them from actually doing it? If they've had a wink/wink deal for months would they risk losing Durant forever if they back out of the deal because of the injury?

If it's not the case that someone would sign him to a long term deal then I think he definitely opts in with the Warriors. Either way it definitely shakes things up from what we were expecting about the off season.
KD looks pretty risky. It is sad that he may have been rushed back into the playoffs too early.

There is a pretty good crop of potential free agents this year. I would argue that Kahwi as much as KD could turn a good team into a great team. To date, most of the talk about Kahwi has been him going to the Clippers if he doesnít stay in Toronto but does KDís situation open up a lot more interest in Kahwi? Although Southern California does have non-financial advantages to Kahwi that northern teams donít so not sure how other teams could entice him.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:47 PM
MooBeay MooBeay is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeetripper View Post
One of 3 things will happen with KD
1 opts into 31m, basically doesnít play and hits FA next summer
2 warriors offer 5 year super max and he takes it
3 supposedly a number of teams are already willing to offer 4 year max deal gotta assume Knicks are one even with injury

So financially KD gonna be OK but he loses a year of his NBA career. I think when they took a look at players who had same injury average time frame is 8 months so basically March if he wants to make a playoff run but some players were never the same after injury and any set back in rehab would be longer.
Is that possible? I thought the super max could only come from the team that drafted you?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-11-2019, 01:19 PM
Kid Rock's Avatar
Kid Rock Kid Rock is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Favorite beer: Wicked Weed sours
Posts: 5,496
Default

He will opt in for the $31M. Nobody will pay max money for an Achilles injured 31 YO player that will be 32 when he will play again for his 32-36 years...unless that team is the Knicks. If he's out, the Knicks won't get the other player they would need to pair with him. What player would sacrifice a year of their own to maybe get an injured superstar a year later. He will opt in for Warriors.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Westley Westley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 29,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
If they've had a wink/wink deal for months
Is that what people believe? I have to think that his agent was screaming at him not to play last night, unless they already had a done deal. Kinda weird that he came back unless doctors were 100% comfortable and just wrong about the situation.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 97,517
Default

Knicks are that stupid. It is known.


It is known.
__________________
"Facebook is a toilet." -- LWTwJO

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Chronus's Avatar
Chronus Chronus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Is that what people believe? I have to think that his agent was screaming at him not to play last night, unless they already had a done deal. Kinda weird that he came back unless doctors were 100% comfortable and just wrong about the situation.
I don't find that weird at all. We see athletes play through injuries all the time. They come back before they should even if they know the risks. These guys are extremely competitive and want to be out there trying to win. This is the finals and his team needed him. I'm sure he knew that rushing back this quickly was risky but he still wanted to do it anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-11-2019, 02:02 PM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 97,517
Default

Agreed. It was a must-win. Players play in those games all the time. Willis Reed, anyone? Jack Youngblood?
The off-season is just a game away. Plenty of time to heal then.
__________________
"Facebook is a toilet." -- LWTwJO

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.15853 seconds with 9 queries