Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Individual Life and Annuities Track > Life Pricing Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Life Pricing Exam Old Individual Life & Annuities Design and Pricing Forum

Old 08-27-2019, 03:19 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA

College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundy View Post
Does anyone who failed the prior sitting feel a bit pressed for time to review all older material AND learn the new stuff on the syllabus?

I started studying again mid-July and barely even touched on much of the new material, aside from the new stuff that is sprinkled in with the older stuff. I'm starting to feel like I won't even have time to learn, review, and retain all of the new stuff in time, all while trying to review the old material, do flash cards, practice problems, etc.

As much as I don't want to, I'm thinking of skipping the source material and just going straight to the study manual and video lessons (using TIA). I hope this plus drilling flash cards and practice problems will be enough but can I really pull this off in only two months?

Is anyone else in the same boat?
There is definitely a lot, and when the dust settled from our updates, I had the feeling that even though the page count is about the same or less than LP was, it feels like there is more information per page of source material on LPM. There is a lot to unpack.

I always recommend referencing the source material if you have time because it facilitates more of an active studying approach, but it is far more critical to cover the whole syllabus. Therefore, I would definitely recommend relying more on lessons if it helps you get through the material fast enough to cover everything in the time you have left. It's far better to be "mostly proficient" in all readings than being highly proficient in some of the readings but no knowledge of others. Considering that only 1/3 of the LPM syllabus was also on LP, there is quite a lot of new material to cover, so please make every effort to do that before October. Good luck!

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LPM | LFMU | LFMC | LAM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI PM | QFI IRM | G&H DP | G&H FV | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 08-27-2019, 08:19 PM
SOA

Studying for Life Product Management
Favorite beer: Root Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adapt and Chill View Post
What's your normal study strategy? Source material first, then video lessons, then study manual+flash cards?
I had a lot more time to prepare so my prior strategy was to go through all video lessons, then re-watch video lessons + source material + study manual for each lesson in order, and then study manual+ flash cards + practice problems closer to the exam. I revisited a few harder lessons and used the condensed outline as a review towards the end too.

I'm definitely a slow learner so that's why I'm concerned with the time I have for the new material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
There is definitely a lot, and when the dust settled from our updates, I had the feeling that even though the page count is about the same or less than LP was, it feels like there is more information per page of source material on LPM. There is a lot to unpack.

I always recommend referencing the source material if you have time because it facilitates more of an active studying approach, but it is far more critical to cover the whole syllabus. Therefore, I would definitely recommend relying more on lessons if it helps you get through the material fast enough to cover everything in the time you have left. It's far better to be "mostly proficient" in all readings than being highly proficient in some of the readings but no knowledge of others. Considering that only 1/3 of the LPM syllabus was also on LP, there is quite a lot of new material to cover, so please make every effort to do that before October. Good luck!
Thanks - I will continue to go through the lessons and gauge how I feel before the exam registration deadline. It feels like such a time crunch with the sheer volume of new stuff!
Old 09-13-2019, 02:38 AM
SOA

How are you guys doing? Now that I started doing some practice problems and re-reading some sections I can finally feel things start to come together. Just 48 more days!!
Old 09-13-2019, 02:52 PM
SOA

Just finished going through TIA detailed study manual last week, and now just working through the video lessons and taking/organizing my own notes. Yea, I feel the concepts start to come together as well. Hang in there guys!
Old 09-13-2019, 03:09 PM
SOA

College: Oklahoma State

Almost done with the last section on TIA video lessons/study manual. Made my own set of notes going through all the videos so hopefully that will help me remember things a little better when going back through and reviewing.

Did anyone read all of the study notes for the exam? I read the shorter, < 10 page ones and most of the textbook readings, but some of the lengthier study notes/online readings I feel could be substituted for TIA material if in a time crunch.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:15 PM
SOA

I always skip reading textbooks so I only use TIA's detailed study manual. That has been sufficient for me to pass exams.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:42 PM
SOA

I read the first 5ish study notes and found they were just too long and didn't give much benefit over the study manual. “Why waste time say lot word when few word do trick”

Pretty much all of my friends that took 2019 Spring LP just studied off the manual and they all easily passed so seems like a legit strategy.

Also, how was objective 5 for you guys? Most of it just felt like a whole lot of pointless details of all the huge amount of financial products you can use. Half was a reminder of FM and MFE, and the other half I just forgot immediately after turning the page lol
Old 09-16-2019, 11:07 AM
SOA

Studying for DMAC
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceBrah View Post
I read the first 5ish study notes and found they were just too long and didn't give much benefit over the study manual. “Why waste time say lot word when few word do trick”

Pretty much all of my friends that took 2019 Spring LP just studied off the manual and they all easily passed so seems like a legit strategy.

Also, how was objective 5 for you guys? Most of it just felt like a whole lot of pointless details of all the huge amount of financial products you can use. Half was a reminder of FM and MFE, and the other half I just forgot immediately after turning the page lol
I read the source material for LP and LFV, and in hindsight it was a waste of time cause the TIA DSM summarizes the source material excellently. Reading the source material is just not an efficient use of your study time.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:58 AM
SOA

I've just finished the first read through of the materials, using TIA. What should I do now? re-read again, flashcard, Drill problems, or relevant past Qs?
Old 10-04-2019, 01:22 AM
SOA

i actually have no idea whats going on in obj 5. like we arent doing QFI track, why do I care about 14 tranche types in CMOs or why municipal bonds are risky.