Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Advanced Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Group & Health Advanced Exam Old Group and Health Company/Sponsor Perspective Forum

Old 08-20-2019, 03:00 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarchArvor View Post
Because of the way they are going to grade this exam

The total score on the two parts is deemed sufficient to pass this as a full exam. The candidate receives credit for both segments and has now completed both the DP and FV requirements in full.

How are they going to do that with 2 different candidate IDs for the same person?

My understanding is that if you get 10/10 on DP-A and 5/10 on FV-A, your overall score is sufficient to pass both exams... If someone has 2 different candidate IDs, he might fail FV-A
Ah, that makes sense. I have no idea how the SOA will handle this, but hopefully someone in the SOA has thought it through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:39 PM
SOA

Studying for GHADV
College: Université Laval

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarchArvor View Post
How are they going to do that with 2 different candidate IDs for the same person?
They still know you are the same person. I guess they will grade them as a bundle first, and if you pass, then both IDs will be included.

Not sure how they will handle the lists, but a logical way to do it would be to only release a list for full FV and full DP. In our case, passing FV-A gives us FV credit, and passing DP-A gives us DP credit, so we would be in those lists for the parts we pass.

Do we know if people registering for DP-A & DP-C or FV-A & FV-C only have 1 ID?
Old 08-22-2019, 01:27 PM
SOA

College: University of Manitoba
Default Studying for GH FV

Are you studying for the new GH FV exam? Come join @actuarylovescameras and collaborate on syllabus topics to give yourself an edge on passing this exam.

https://www.fellowshipforums.com/t/a...n-reports/2244

A structured forum to connect actuarial students together to collaborate and challenge syllabus concepts on FSA exams.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:23 AM
SOA

joining this mess a little late, failed spring GHA(4). My notes on the 'rules' for us legacy folks:

•DP-A is Oct 30 8:30 AM, FV is next day 1:30PM*see below for concern on this*
•No case study for either exam (yay)
•L.O. 4+5 for DP; L.O. 1+2 for FV
•interventions replaced by EV

Still going through the syllabus to see what the old Mate covered and what I need to get. Given my current life situation, I may be hitting the DP-A with everything I got (although I would much rather hit both given it looks like FVA may be soft this go around).

overall I see the trans rules as a win for us. good luck all.

*concern for FV PM only on the 31st. Every exam I have sat for (3 FSA 5 hours) does NOT start at 8:30. they do that thing where they reset the clock 20 times so you have no idea what time it is. But that means the morning session does not end at exactly 12:45, and they usually structure the break relative to the ending of the morning exam. Thus the afternoon exam has never started at 1:30. Shouldn't be a big deal (as they usually start later than 1:30, so you are not going to miss it if you show up on time)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:46 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
•DP-A is Oct 30 8:30 AM, FV is next day 1:30PM*see below for concern on this*

*concern for FV PM only on the 31st. Every exam I have sat for (3 FSA 5 hours) does NOT start at 8:30. they do that thing where they reset the clock 20 times so you have no idea what time it is. But that means the morning session does not end at exactly 12:45, and they usually structure the break relative to the ending of the morning exam. Thus the afternoon exam has never started at 1:30. Shouldn't be a big deal (as they usually start later than 1:30, so you are not going to miss it if you show up on time)
My experience (it's been a little while, but from the Atlanta exam centers) - yes, the morning exam always started approximately 20-30 minutes late, as the instructors had to read all the directions word for word, check people in, check calculators, etc. They would then manually turn back the clock in the room to show 8:30 as your start time. You have the 15 minute read-through and then 3 hours of exam time. If you're writing the time for each question on the top of the page, be sure to be consistent if you're doing it off the official clock or your watch, as those will show different actual times.

With this delay, the ending time was always closer to 12:15 or so. (I think your post saying 12:45 is off by an hour because that would be a 4 hr exam.) However, the second session didn't start until 1:30, so you still had plenty of time to eat lunch, try to relax a bit and get back to the room for the next session. At the next session, you again had to do all the check-in, calculator checks, etc. So my point is that they never started the 1:30 session later than expected as a result of the morning session going a bit over because there's a large buffer built into that lunch break. As you said, it's certainly not going to start early, but if the other morning exam that day is a little behind schedule, you may have a tiny delay, but I wouldn't think it would be significant.

Quote:
•L.O. 4+5 for DP; L.O. 1+2 for FV
•interventions replaced by EV

Still going through the syllabus to see what the old Mate covered and what I need to get.
Unless you have the old Specialty materials, a lot of Objective 2 for FV is going to be new for you.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:56 AM
SOA

thanks for walking through that, Derek. Im trying to run through the events on exam days to be prepared so this is very helpful to see.

agree that LO2 for FV (EV) is all new material (I have not taken specialty).

Last loose end for me is trying to get company to give me 2 days off for exam sittings.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:57 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money

Quote:

Last loose end for me is trying to get company to give me 2 days off for exam sittings.
This was a close call for me, but ultimately I was able to talk them into it. Basically I said that I wasn't going to be any good to work the afternoon after an exam (they agreed) and I said I would be too focused the morning before an exam to do any real work (they agreed with that as well). So while I think it probably pained them to give someone 2 days for 1 exam, there's really no way around it.

I'm taking Friday off on PTO because I don't want to come into work after a 2 day exam

Quote:
Old 09-03-2019, 02:24 PM
SOA

Studying for everything

So basically, from most favorite to least favorite

1. LO1: Calculate different types of reserves
2. LO4: Antiselection / Credibility (the "pure" underwriting part is so easily forgettable)
3. LO3: ACO savings / monitoring providers (this is where I understood why your healthcare system is ***** in the US)
4. LO2: Put a price on an insurance company

This exam seems more calculation oriented than Core and I like that
Old 09-03-2019, 03:21 PM
SOA

Studying for everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdevil View Post
Do we know if people registering for DP-A & DP-C or FV-A & FV-C only have 1 ID?
Just asked one of my colleagues who is sitting for GHDP, he received 2 candidate IDs so it's all good
Old 09-05-2019, 10:26 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money

I just registered, and my two candidate IDs are just one number apart. Hopefully I don't mix them up on exam day!

Quote: