Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:49 PM
CAS SOA

College: Iowa State University Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourgfish View Post
I'm in for the December sitting as well! Should be my last requirement for ASA, assuming I pass FA.

SOA has the exam dates as Dec 12-13 - does anyone know if we can be sure that we'll be sitting on the 12th? I am planning a flight for the very next day and want to be totally sure I won't have to sit for PA on the 13th instead.
For what it's worth, this past June sitting had two days open to sit for it.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:33 PM
SOA

College: University of Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourgfish View Post
I'm in for the December sitting as well! Should be my last requirement for ASA, assuming I pass FA.

SOA has the exam dates as Dec 12-13 - does anyone know if we can be sure that we'll be sitting on the 12th? I am planning a flight for the very next day and want to be totally sure I won't have to sit for PA on the 13th instead.
According to the SOA (see a list of FAQs here), "[e]xam registration windows are typically open for six weeks." The registration deadline for the Dec 2019 PA exam is Nov 12 (the CBT exam schedule is here), so it is expected that registration will start six weeks before then, or Oct 1. You may want to sign up for the PA exam right on Oct 1 to secure a good spot on Dec 12.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:54 PM
CAS SOA

Thanks guys. I think as long as I schedule with Prometric right when registration opens, I should be able to secure a spot on the 12th.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:32 PM
SOA

Studying for SAT math section
College: 800 university
Favorite beer: 800 minute ipa

My local Prometric only allowed June 13 even shortly after the registration window opened. It could be the case that your local center has a weird restriction like that too. Unlikely, but possible.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:30 PM
SOA

College: Purdue University Alumni
Default Study Material

I know that there will be study manuals from Actex and ASM available for this sitting, but I already have some material that I have created. I will post a link to the current draft of the slides.

https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

This is meant as a free resource and guide for building your own versions. All I ask in return is for is honest feedback and to let me know of any errors or improvements so that this becomes a growing knowledge source until the exam. Wait until 7/26 to download the revised versions that will hold through the end of August.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:48 AM
CAS SOA

Hey guys!

A couple of quick questions -

1 - If you fail the exam, do you have to pay the $1125 fee every time? Or is there a separate fee for just the exam, if you've already completed the modules?

2 - What materials are needed for the exam? I see there's 4 textbooks in the syllabus, are they all needed, or could you get by with just the upcoming manual?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2019, 11:25 AM
SOA

Studying for Undecided
College: University of Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutTier View Post
Hey guys!

A couple of quick questions -

1 - If you fail the exam, do you have to pay the $1125 fee every time? Or is there a separate fee for just the exam, if you've already completed the modules?

2 - What materials are needed for the exam? I see there's 4 textbooks in the syllabus, are they all needed, or could you get by with just the upcoming manual?

Thanks!
You have to pay it again
Old 07-26-2019, 08:49 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambroselo View Post
According to the SOA (see a list of FAQs here), "[e]xam registration windows are typically open for six weeks." The registration deadline for the Dec 2019 PA exam is Nov 12 (the CBT exam schedule is here), so it is expected that registration will start six weeks before then, or Oct 1. You may want to sign up for the PA exam right on Oct 1 to secure a good spot on Dec 12.
Can I go ahead and register for the modules (and pay the exam fee as well) now or do I have to wait until Oct 1 to do so?
Old 07-26-2019, 09:15 AM
SOA

College: University of Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmomin1 View Post
Can I go ahead and register for the modules (and pay the exam fee as well) now or do I have to wait until Oct 1 to do so?
As far as I know, the modules can be purchased anytime (the full $1125 fee has to be paid at this time), but registering for the PA exam is possible only during the six-week registration window (Oct 1 - Nov 12 for the Dec 2019 exam). There is a link to the exam registration page on Slide 22 of Module 9. That page is here.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:08 AM
SOA

Studying for PA

I'm planning to register for the modules in August and start studying the week after Labor Day. I've only used R for a few quick projects since my college stats classes in 2013..