Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-29-2019, 11:57 AM
SOA

College: University of Rochester

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunson_abadeer View Post
I hope you've since figured this out, but for anyone else who may be struggling, this is how I FINALLY got it to work.

I'm running R 3.6.1 and RStudio 1.2.1335 on a 2017 Macbook Pro.

Step 1 - Download the checkp5_mac.zip file from Module 1.

Step 2 - Go to your Finder and locate the folder where you downloaded the file. Extract the folder. Now press Command + Shift + . [command + shift + period]. This makes the hidden files visible.

Step 3 - Go down this file path through the now visible folder: ‎⁨⁨‎⁨⁨checkp5⁩ ▸ ⁨.checkpoint⁩ ▸ ⁨2018-06-01⁩ ▸ ⁨lib⁩ ▸ ⁨x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0⁩

Step 4 - Here, you should find a folder named 3.5.0. Make a duplicate of this folder and rename it 3.6.1

Step 5 - Now continue with step 5 of the Installing the Frozen Version steps in Module 1. When you do step 8, it should finally open the checkp5 project in RStudio. My computer took about 20 seconds to make the switch.

The issue seemed to be the checkpoint function (which is called through the .RProfile file upon opening the checkp5 project), which gets hung up trying to install packages since they aren't already included in the version folder. The first time I tried following the module instructions, I left my computer overnight and it was STILL spinning its wheels the next morning.

Hopefully this helps someone! Fingers crossed we don't run into anymore issues down the road.
.....Did you ever know that you're my heeeeeeero......

Though in the file I downloaded today they added the 3.6.1 folder but it only has one file in it. I replaced the 3.6.1 folder with the copy and it worked.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:35 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for PA
College: IIT
Favorite beer: Stella, Guinness, Corona
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunson_abadeer View Post
I hope you've since figured this out, but for anyone else who may be struggling, this is how I FINALLY got it to work.

I'm running R 3.6.1 and RStudio 1.2.1335 on a 2017 Macbook Pro.

Step 1 - Download the checkp5_mac.zip file from Module 1.

Step 2 - Go to your Finder and locate the folder where you downloaded the file. Extract the folder. Now press Command + Shift + . [command + shift + period]. This makes the hidden files visible.

Step 3 - Go down this file path through the now visible folder: ‎⁨⁨‎⁨⁨checkp5⁩ ▸ ⁨.checkpoint⁩ ▸ ⁨2018-06-01⁩ ▸ ⁨lib⁩ ▸ ⁨x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0⁩

Step 4 - Here, you should find a folder named 3.5.0. Make a duplicate of this folder and rename it 3.6.1

Step 5 - Now continue with step 5 of the Installing the Frozen Version steps in Module 1. When you do step 8, it should finally open the checkp5 project in RStudio. My computer took about 20 seconds to make the switch.

The issue seemed to be the checkpoint function (which is called through the .RProfile file upon opening the checkp5 project), which gets hung up trying to install packages since they aren't already included in the version folder. The first time I tried following the module instructions, I left my computer overnight and it was STILL spinning its wheels the next morning.

Hopefully this helps someone! Fingers crossed we don't run into anymore issues down the road.
Thanks a bunch! It worked for me.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:09 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: Ohio State University

Just saw tonight that Actex delayed the release of its manual (again) (and the ASM has also delayed theirs). I pre-paid for the Actex manual and am starting to get extremely frustrated. I want to know when I can honestly expect the study guide to be available - I want to be studying with it already. I have the SOA modules and the source texts, so I suppose I can keep trying to grind those, but this is really disappointing. I basically expect Actex to delay again next week.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:21 PM
SOA

College: University of Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanvalk View Post
Just saw tonight that Actex delayed the release of its manual (again) (and the ASM has also delayed theirs). I pre-paid for the Actex manual and am starting to get extremely frustrated. I want to know when I can honestly expect the study guide to be available - I want to be studying with it already. I have the SOA modules and the source texts, so I suppose I can keep trying to grind those, but this is really disappointing. I basically expect Actex to delay again next week.
We are deeply sorry for the delays. We are undergoing the last stage of proofreading for the first component of the ACTEX manual. This component of the manual contains two introductory chapters, one on basic R programming and one on data visualization using the ggplot2 package, and will be released by the end of next week. I will post sample pages on Tuesday and will keep you posted as soon as the first component of the manual is released.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:14 PM
SOA

The ACTEX manual author is above the comment, but is this study note written by ASM manual author? https://www.soa.org/globalassets/ass...rest-rates.pdf

I thought most ASM manuals were written by Professor Weishaus. I got to take the exam again and wished there's a formal manual existed before this June sitting.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:00 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by windows7forever View Post
The ACTEX manual author is above the comment, but is this study note written by ASM manual author? https://www.soa.org/globalassets/ass...rest-rates.pdf

I thought most ASM manuals were written by Professor Weishaus. I got to take the exam again and wished there's a formal manual existed before this June sitting.
Yes Michael Bean is the author of both the study note and the ASM Study Manual. Abe has written many of the ASM manuals but there are quite a few others who write ASM manuals for exams they know well.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:51 PM
SOA

College: Towson University

Hey, I just found out I passed the June exam with a 9 after failing the December exam with a 4.

Some advice I'll give.
When it comes down to it, this exam is more of a speed writing exam than a predicitive analytics exam. I don't think they care if your analysis results are useless and terrible. All they care about is if you can explain what you did well.

Also, the modules are absolutely terrible. Reading the CAS Monograph 5 helped me a lot. Chapters 1, 2, and 6 are most relevant for the exam.
https://www.casact.org/pubs/monograp...hare-Tevet.pdf

Last, here are my model notes

Model Type Notes

## GLMs

Glms are comprehensive models that take all significant variables into account, assesing the relative importance of each predictor while also creating an easy to implement formula to calculate a prediction for a given oberservation

Advantages
- Produce easy to implement formula to calculate a prediction for a given observation
- Good for modeling continuos response variables (as opposed to tree based methods)
Disadvantages
- Inherintly do not capture no linear relationships well
- Risk of multicolinearity producing less than optimal models
- Have assumptions which may not always be met

#Family

Famliy refers to the distribution that the target variable is assumed to follow
This will impact how the algorithm fits the model
This has to do with the error terms of the target variable

In GLM function in r

. binomial
- Takes on values of 0 and 1 (FALSE and TRUE respectivley)
- Mean equals proability of a 1, p
- Variance equals p * (1 - p)

. gaussian
- Ranges all real numbers
- Symetric
- Constant variance

. Gamma
- Ranges all positive numbers
- Skewed with long right tail
- Variance equals the mean squared

. inverse.gaussian
- More skewed than gamma with longer right tail and higher peak
- Variance equals the mean cubed

. poisson
- Count variable that ranges all positive integers including 0
- Variance equal mean
- Skewed with right tail, but as the mean increases, the distribution becomes normal

. quasipoisson
- In real data sets usually variance is higher than the mean
this adds a dispersion parameter to the poisson distribution to account for that
- Coefficients will be the same as poisson distribution
but p values will be different which can impact feature selection

. quasibinomial
- Similar to quasipoisson. Variance accounts for overdispersion
- Coefficients will be the same as binomial distribution

. quasi
- ????

Other
. tweedie
- Has discrete probability at 0 and continuos probability for positive values
- variance equals the mean to a power p which can be specificed
- if p = 0, the distribution is gaussian
if p = 1, the distribution is poisson
if p = 2, the distribution is gamma
if p = 3, the distribution is inverse gausian
- this is commonly used in insurance to measure total claim amount
thus p is selected to be between 1 and 2 so that it is somewhere in between
poisson to model number of claims and
gamma to model claim severity

#Link Function

g(u.i) = B0 + B1*X1.i + ... BP*Xp.i

u.i = g'(B0 + B1*X1.i + ... BP*Xp.i)

where i is the ith observation in the dataset
u.i is the mean predicted target variable value for the ith observation
p is the number of predictors
B0, B1, BP are the coefficients of the model
X1.i, X2.i, Xp.i are the predictor values for the ith observation
g() is the link function

The linear component of the function above predicts a function of the mean
The linear component is on the range of all real numbers (from -infinity to +infinity)
The link function can be used to force the mean of the prediction for a specific observation to be on a specific range

In GLM function in r

. logit
- g(u) = log(u / (1 - u))
- g'(u) = exp(u) / (1 + exp(u))
- log odds
(coefficients can be explained as multiplicative impact on odds)
- mean of predicted value must be between 0 and 1
- cannonical link function for binomial family

. probit
- Standard normal CDF
(coefficients can be explained as impact on z value for standard normal distribution)
- curve is almost identical to logit
main difference is how to interpret

. cauchit
- Cauchy CDF (note that Cauchy is symetrical)
- has heavier tails than logit and probit
- can be prone to overfitting

. cloglog
- curve is asymetrical
curve near probability of 0 is round
curve near probability of 1 is sharp

. identity
- mean of predicted value can be any real number
- canonical link function for gaussian family
- a one unit change in a predictor will be a coefficient change in the prediction

. log
- mean of predicted value must be positive number
- canonical link function for poisson family
- coefficients can be expained as multiplicative impact

. sqrt
- mean of predicted value must be positive number inclusive of 0

. 1 / mu^2
- canonical link function for inverse gausian family
- ????

. inverse
- ????

# Regularized Regression
An additional term is added to the linear component of the GLM

B0 + B1*X1.i + ... BP*Xp.i + lambda||B||

This is to penalize coefficents to avoid overfitting the model
The parameter lambda is a positive value and controls the strength of the penalty
As lambda approachs infinity all coefficients approach (or are set to exactly) 0

Ridge Regression
. ||B|| = SUM(B1^2 + B2^2 + ... + BP^2)
. This will make coefficients close to, but not exactly 0

Lasso Regression
. ||B|| = SUM(abs(B1) + abs(B2) + ... + abs(BP))
. This will allow coefficients to be set to exactly 0
. Thus, this performs feature selection

Elastic net
. The penalty is a weighted average of ridge and lasso
. The parameter alpha is the weight of the lasso penalty

Important Note
. Predictors must be scaled prior to using this algorithm
. Otherwise predictors with high orders of magnitued
will force all coeficients to be unreasonably small

Advantages
- Feature selection is automatic and uses cross-validation error to minimize prediction error
- Binarization is always done and thus each factor level is treated as a seperate feature
Disadvantages
- Due to features being scaled, the model coefficients are difficult to interpret
- The R package only works with a limited number of model choice
- We may be trying to optimize a value other than prediction error, such as AUC

## Tree based methods

# Decision Trees

Decision trees are easily interpretible models based on a series of if/then statements that clearly highlight key factors, interaction, and non-linear relationships

Advantages
- Easy to interpret
- Highlight interactions
- Automatically performs feature selection (by having features not show up in the tree)
- Can capture non-linear relationships
Disadvantages
- Prone to overfitting even with cost complexity pruneing (high variance)
- Splits made for continuos results may suggest discontinuits where little difference exists

# Random Forests

A random forest is an algorithm that creates many trees using different samples of predictors and data for each tree. The prediction is then the mode or average of all trees.

Advantages
- Reduces variance in predictions by taking an average result of all trees
- Captures interactions
- Captures non-linear relationships
- Uses cross-validation to set the tuning parameter
Disadvantages
- Not easily interpretable. Can be considered "black box" model
- Prone to overfitting
- Requires high computational power and thus takes a long time to run
- Difficult to implement

# Gradient Boosting Machines (GBMs)

A gradient boosting machine is an algorthime that fits a series of trees
Fitting each subsequent tree with more weight placed on the observations that were not predicted well in the previous tree. The prediction is a weighted average or mode of all trees with the first tree having the most weight, and each subsequent tree being weighted less.

Advantages
- Improves accuracy by placing weight on poor predictions in subsequent trees (reduces bias)
- Reduces overfitting (reduces variance)
- Captures interactions
Disadvantages
- Sensitive to hyperparameters
- Requires very high computational power and thus takes a very long time to run
- Difficult to implement
Old 09-04-2019, 02:47 PM
SOA

College: Loyola Marymount University
Favorite beer: Pilsner/Blonde

To follow up Josh Peck's advice:

Here are 3 recommendations from someone who just got a 9 on the June '19 sitting after getting a 1 on the Dec.'18 sitting:

-- 1. Finish writing the Executive Summary because it is worth the most amount of points (write, write, write). Read through all of their posted papers/executive summaries and form an algorithm you know by heart of what you will write about regardless of what data they throw at you.

-- 2. Since this is a relatively new exam, they are still trying to write questions and scenarios that cover all of the topics on the syllabus. Focus on obscure and difficult topics in the slides that the published sample projects / exams have not discussed or utilized. This strategy paid off 3 times on the June sitting. I think Weights and Offsets are a good bet.

-- 3. Whatever code they give you to use is very intentional. I recommend figuring out how to use their code rather than figuring out something from scratch. They probably have the wrong values in it at the start and you just have to sub in the answer or fields that you really want to use. They honestly are trying to save you as much time as they can in their code. They know it is a 5hr exam and don't want you coding much of the time. Their intent is to take it easy on you with the coding they expect. Focus on learning the basics of R, which I think is best done in all of the Sample Projects / Exams rather than the slide exercises. But referring to my 2nd point, if they don't have a Project/Exam that uses it yet, it would be worth your extra study time to be comfortable with code that uses difficult topics. In short, use whatever code they give you! Unless you are either (a) successful the first try you have at coding it yourself or (b) you are an R expert and can just "wing it", a 2nd attempt code fail not using their code is a sign you just wasted a bunch of time. Go back to their code and figure out why it should be of good use.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:07 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Peck View Post
Hey, I just found out I passed the June exam with a 9 after failing the December exam with a 4.

Some advice I'll give.
When it comes down to it, this exam is more of a speed writing exam than a predicitive analytics exam. I don't think they care if your analysis results are useless and terrible. All they care about is if you can explain what you did well.

Also, the modules are absolutely terrible. Reading the CAS Monograph 5 helped me a lot. Chapters 1, 2, and 6 are most relevant for the exam.
https://www.casact.org/pubs/monograp...hare-Tevet.pdf

Last, here are my model notes

Model Type Notes

## GLMs

Glms are comprehensive models that take all significant variables into account, assesing the relative importance of each predictor while also creating an easy to implement formula to calculate a prediction for a given oberservation

Advantages
- Produce easy to implement formula to calculate a prediction for a given observation
- Good for modeling continuos response variables (as opposed to tree based methods)
Disadvantages
- Inherintly do not capture no linear relationships well
- Risk of multicolinearity producing less than optimal models
- Have assumptions which may not always be met

#Family

Famliy refers to the distribution that the target variable is assumed to follow
This will impact how the algorithm fits the model
This has to do with the error terms of the target variable

In GLM function in r

. binomial
- Takes on values of 0 and 1 (FALSE and TRUE respectivley)
- Mean equals proability of a 1, p
- Variance equals p * (1 - p)

. gaussian
- Ranges all real numbers
- Symetric
- Constant variance

. Gamma
- Skewed with long right tail
- Variance equals the mean squared

. inverse.gaussian
- More skewed than gamma with longer right tail and higher peak
- Variance equals the mean cubed

. poisson
- Count variable that ranges all positive integers including 0
- Variance equal mean
- Skewed with right tail, but as the mean increases, the distribution becomes normal

. quasipoisson
- In real data sets usually variance is higher than the mean
this adds a dispersion parameter to the poisson distribution to account for that
- Coefficients will be the same as poisson distribution

. quasibinomial
- Similar to quasipoisson. Variance accounts for overdispersion
- Coefficients will be the same as binomial distribution

. quasi
- ????

Other
. tweedie
- Has discrete probability at 0 and continuos probability for positive values
- variance equals the mean to a power p which can be specificed
- if p = 0, the distribution is gaussian
if p = 1, the distribution is poisson
if p = 2, the distribution is gamma
if p = 3, the distribution is inverse gausian
- this is commonly used in insurance to measure total claim amount
thus p is selected to be between 1 and 2 so that it is somewhere in between
poisson to model number of claims and
gamma to model claim severity

#Link Function

g(u.i) = B0 + B1*X1.i + ... BP*Xp.i

u.i = g'(B0 + B1*X1.i + ... BP*Xp.i)

where i is the ith observation in the dataset
u.i is the mean predicted target variable value for the ith observation
p is the number of predictors
B0, B1, BP are the coefficients of the model
X1.i, X2.i, Xp.i are the predictor values for the ith observation
g() is the link function

The linear component of the function above predicts a function of the mean
The linear component is on the range of all real numbers (from -infinity to +infinity)
The link function can be used to force the mean of the prediction for a specific observation to be on a specific range

In GLM function in r

. logit
- g(u) = log(u / (1 - u))
- g'(u) = exp(u) / (1 + exp(u))
- log odds
(coefficients can be explained as multiplicative impact on odds)
- cannonical link function for binomial family

. probit
- Standard normal CDF
(coefficients can be explained as impact on z value for standard normal distribution)
- curve is almost identical to logit
main difference is how to interpret

. cauchit
- Cauchy CDF (note that Cauchy is symetrical)
- has heavier tails than logit and probit
- can be prone to overfitting

. cloglog
- curve is asymetrical
curve near probability of 0 is round
curve near probability of 1 is sharp

. identity
- mean of predicted value can be any real number
- canonical link function for gaussian family
- a one unit change in a predictor will be a coefficient change in the prediction

. log
- mean of predicted value must be positive number
- canonical link function for poisson family
- coefficients can be expained as multiplicative impact

. sqrt
- mean of predicted value must be positive number inclusive of 0

. 1 / mu^2
- canonical link function for inverse gausian family
- ????

. inverse
- ????

# Regularized Regression
An additional term is added to the linear component of the GLM

B0 + B1*X1.i + ... BP*Xp.i + lambda||B||

This is to penalize coefficents to avoid overfitting the model
The parameter lambda is a positive value and controls the strength of the penalty
As lambda approachs infinity all coefficients approach (or are set to exactly) 0

Ridge Regression
. ||B|| = SUM(B1^2 + B2^2 + ... + BP^2)
. This will make coefficients close to, but not exactly 0

Lasso Regression
. ||B|| = SUM(abs(B1) + abs(B2) + ... + abs(BP))
. This will allow coefficients to be set to exactly 0
. Thus, this performs feature selection

Elastic net
. The penalty is a weighted average of ridge and lasso
. The parameter alpha is the weight of the lasso penalty

Important Note
. Predictors must be scaled prior to using this algorithm
. Otherwise predictors with high orders of magnitued
will force all coeficients to be unreasonably small

Advantages
- Feature selection is automatic and uses cross-validation error to minimize prediction error
- Binarization is always done and thus each factor level is treated as a seperate feature
Disadvantages
- Due to features being scaled, the model coefficients are difficult to interpret
- The R package only works with a limited number of model choice
- We may be trying to optimize a value other than prediction error, such as AUC

## Tree based methods

# Decision Trees

Decision trees are easily interpretible models based on a series of if/then statements that clearly highlight key factors, interaction, and non-linear relationships

Advantages
- Easy to interpret
- Highlight interactions
- Automatically performs feature selection (by having features not show up in the tree)
- Can capture non-linear relationships
Disadvantages
- Prone to overfitting even with cost complexity pruneing (high variance)
- Splits made for continuos results may suggest discontinuits where little difference exists

# Random Forests

A random forest is an algorithm that creates many trees using different samples of predictors and data for each tree. The prediction is then the mode or average of all trees.

Advantages
- Reduces variance in predictions by taking an average result of all trees
- Captures interactions
- Uses cross-validation to set the tuning parameter
Disadvantages
- Prone to overfitting
- Requires high computational power and thus takes a long time to run
- Difficult to implement

# Gradient Boosting Machines (GBMs)

A gradient boosting machine is an algorthime that fits a series of trees
Fitting each subsequent tree with more weight placed on the observations that were not predicted well in the previous tree. The prediction is a weighted average or mode of all trees with the first tree having the most weight, and each subsequent tree being weighted less.

Advantages
- Improves accuracy by placing weight on poor predictions in subsequent trees (reduces bias)
- Reduces overfitting (reduces variance)
- Captures interactions
Disadvantages
- Sensitive to hyperparameters
- Requires very high computational power and thus takes a very long time to run
- Difficult to implement
Thank you. I hope my third time will be a charm. This time around I'm going to practice actually writing whole exams, which sounds so obvious, but I didn't do it.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:17 PM
SOA AAA

College: WPI - Alumni
Lightbulb

I passed the June sitting and I wanted to share some notes about my experience that might be useful.

1) The points assigned to each task are not proportional to the amount of time you will spend on them. The first four tasks took me about 3 hours to complete, leaving just over 2 hours for everything else. I initially skipped task 10 to write the executive summary instead, but ended up with plenty of time to go back to it afterwards.

2) They're not testing your ability to code. Probably 90% of the code that you need is already provided by your "assistant." Mostly you just tweak it to make it work. This is overwhelmingly an analysis exam and most of your time will be spent processing results.

3) With prior experience in predictive analytics, I was able to pass by studying the modules for about 6 weeks. I'd say if you've taken a graduate level course in predictive modeling, you will likely have a similar experience. The modules were more of a refresher than anything. I didn't feel I needed any of the recommended textbooks, but I did supplement with online resources where needed (Wikipedia).

4) The sample solution they provided was super helpful - much more than the modules were. It really lays out the SOA's expectations and is fairly easy to replicate. I think my most valuable time spent studying were the last couple days where I just went through the sample task by task and compared my answers to the ones given.

Hope this can be of some help to those getting started for December. Rest assured that you still have plenty of time, even if you've just begun!!