Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MAS-I
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

MAS-I Old Exam S Forum

Old 10-01-2019, 10:02 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Old Nation M43
Default General MAS-I Questions

I may be sitting for the 2020 Spring testing period, which I'm guessing is in April.

1. Pass or not, approximately how much time did you spend studying for an exam sitting? (Example: 6 months averaging 10 hours per week OR 3 months averaging 25 hours per week)

2. What study materials would you recommend? (I used CA manual/adapt for P, FM, and IFM. Currently, CA only offers the adapt product for MAS-I. However, I reached out to them and they told me that they're planning to release a manual in Fall 2019, so that should be coming out soon)

3. Which topics or concepts would you say are the most difficult to master?

4. How does the volume of material compare to that of the preliminary exams?

Edit for adding another question:

5. What exam sequence did you follow for subsequent exams after the third preliminary exam?

Last edited by Zim; 10-04-2019 at 06:53 PM..
Old 10-04-2019, 05:44 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-1
College: Somersby School
Favorite beer: Bulldog Root Beer

This isn't a great answer, but

1. I'd suggest something more like 6 months averaging 25 hours a week.

2. Everyone says to read the source materials. I have enjoyed the ASM manual quite a bit so far, and I've been reading all of the source material along with it.

3. I haven't done a full tour through the material yet. Statistics seems more challenging than probability models. I haven't read extended linear models or time series yet, though I have the impression that many people find time series the most difficult.

4. This exam feels immense. I'll probably log 1,000 hours by the time I sit for it. But I'm going about it in a less than efficient way.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:55 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5
College: NYU
Favorite beer: Lagunitas

1. Sitting 1 - Studied 165 hours and got a 5; Sitting 2 - Studied 90 hours and got a 4; Sitting 3 - Studied 188 hours and got a 5; Sitting 4 - Studied 150ish hours and hoping to get a 10

2. I highly recommend reading the source materials. If you are stubborn like I was before this sitting, and are going to refuse to read the textbooks, purchase Mahler. In my opinion, he has the best and easiest study manual to understand. I've used CA, ASM, TIA, and I don't think any of these are super effective. Can you pass using all of these? Of course, but reading the textbooks and having Mahler on the side as a supplement is the best thing to do IMO.

3. For your first sitting, all topics will be difficult. However, once you've spent some time with the material, the Probability Models will likely come the easiest. Then Time Series. Then Statistics. Then Extended Linear Models.

4. The volume of the materials is much, much greater than the prelims and also much, much more difficult.

5. I took P, then FM, then MFE, then C, now MAS-1 for the 4th time coming up. I didn't fail any of the prelims.

As for "how many hours do I study?" everyone is different. Some study 200 hours for a prelim and fail, while some study 100 for a prelim and pass. It depends.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:11 PM
CAS SOA AktŁerler Derneği

Studying for MAS-1
College: Binghamton University - Alumni

You guys must be insanely smart and confident to even sit down for an exam after studying only 100-200 hours. I haven't put anything less than 300-400 hours for every prelim exam and got a 6 from all.

I think I have around 250 hours (this is a random number I don't keep track of it but I've been studying for 3 months 15-20 hours a week) for MAS-I and I feel like I won't be even getting a 1 from the exam after going through the 2019 spring exam.

I am currently using TIA with ASM. I underestimated how much material this exam has so halfway through the ASM manual I stopped and continued with the video lessons on TIA. I will definitely take my time with the manual and source materials for the Spring sitting.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:49 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I
Favorite beer: Bone Shaker

Can we create the Spring 2020 MAS-I thread yet? What's the general rule around here for when it gets created?
Old 10-25-2019, 02:47 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-1
College: Somersby School
Favorite beer: Bulldog Root Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_canada View Post
Can we create the Spring 2020 MAS-I thread yet? What's the general rule around here for when it gets created?
Pretty sure it's a race to see who gets their name on the thread. However, if you create it, there is a rule that your inaugural post says only "First."