Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:33 AM
SOA

College: Purdue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-FEM, Pro-RPM View Post
But what is it about typing into little boxes on the AO that makes us all type "Tuscon" when we mean "Tucson?" You don't type like that in a report or a client letter. Just on teh AO.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Favorite beer: Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
I, for one, am very pleased that this was settled. I applaud both sides for setting aside issues of personal vindication and ego and focusing on the greater good. It did the profession no good to have this ugly story play out in the courts and the New York Times.

There is still a lot of work to be done at the ABCD to sort out the professionalism issues, and at the AAA to reform the sloppy governance that brought us to this pass. At least this woke up the passive membership. If changes are not made now, we have no one to blame but ourselves.
But what good is a settlement if it doesn't change how teh AAA is governed or doesn't adequatley punish the directors that abused and missused the authority given to them? A settlement is akin to sweeping this under the rug hopeing it goes away.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:45 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: The one in my hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Thanks.

You can't accept the SOA in your heart and believe they save life insurers from a fiery hell and have that be enough to get your fellowship. - KIRY commenting on why Southern Baptist origins do not prepare you for the actuarial field

Spoiler - :

Old 10-01-2009, 11:46 AM

Favorite beer: Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gile View Post
I don't. (BTW, the word you are groping for is "principles".) I believe that Bruce did simply want to be reinstated. That possibility disappeared when the judge nixed a TRO. Bruce got screwed. Payback is definitely in order.
If that was the case then he should have taken this to court so all could have seen how terrible certain directors attacked. Now they can all claim to have done nothing wrong.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:12 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by _BullDog_ View Post
But what good is a settlement if it doesn't change how teh AAA is governed or doesn't adequatley punish the directors that abused and missused the authority given to them? A settlement is akin to sweeping this under the rug hopeing it goes away.
Not if the Academy membership demands change. If we take it upon ourselves to to require changes (and we have the power - we pay the dues) the change can get made. Not without pain and not without more attention than we have paid to the Academy in the past, but it can be done.

Settlement just moves the venue away from the courts and places the burden on the membership, where it should rest.

And I have a great deal of interest in changing the AAA governance to prevent this type of appalling performance in the future. I have next to no interest in "punishment".
Old 10-01-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
In the law $$$ are a punishment. May not be discipline but the AAA has managed to reduce that word to a meaningless jumble of letters.

Quote:
If that was the case then he should have taken this to court so all could have seen how terrible certain directors attacked. Now they can all claim to have done nothing wrong.
I don't know. The discussion here has been fairly blunt in the assessment of certain directors. Blunt to the point of being possibly defamatory and requiring the site administrator to remove certain posts and thread but not before many saw them. And many threads and posts that didn't cross the line but have the same result are still here for all to see.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
Not if the Academy membership demands change. If we take it upon ourselves to to require changes (and we have the power - we pay the dues) the change can get made. Not without pain and not without more attention than we have paid to the Academy in the past, but it can be done.

Settlement just moves the venue away from the courts and places the burden on the membership, where it should rest.

And I have a great deal of interest in changing the AAA governance to prevent this type of appalling performance in the future. I have next to no interest in "punishment".

I have two interests here:

1. Updating the voting process

2. Changing the governance structure [specifically, getting rid of the special director ex officio positions from other organizations]

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-01-2009, 12:47 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

The first step would be to allow the members to vote without being physically present at the AAA meetings. That particular requirement is archaic and makes direct participation unaffordable for many.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Completely agreed.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-01-2009, 01:00 PM

Default updated reference links

FWIW, yesterday I updated the prior reference summary of links to identify that the lawsuit is now resolved:

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...93#post3928893
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...74653&page=105

For the summary, I did not include the following link to the Award of Arbitration document itself, as it seems to be identified as a temporary link:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...&#post3939583&