Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
My wife is willing to let me get two of the GIK Acoustics Monster Bass Traps for my birthday. It's 2 months away, but I'm trying to figure out if I really want to drop $458 on room treatments.

I came up with the idea of getting 2 because I'm struggling with whether I would want the optional Scatter Plate added. I'm thinking I would, but scattering is not generally recommended for first reflection points. So if I got two, I could play around with placement, see where scattering provides the most benefit, where straight-up absorption helps most, etc. Plus, with two of these, I would get more bass trapping, which apparently actually improves bass perception, interestingly enough.

When I first reached out to GIK, they recommended getting 3 cheaper standing bass traps, because I would have a lot of flexibility for placement. I think it will be hard enough to find storage for 2 of these things when I need to leave the room "visitor friendly."
After talking with the guy at GIK some more, I've landed on getting:

2 Tri-Traps. These are 4 feet long triangles that you stick in the corners of the room. You get the best impact when you buy 8 of them, so you can stack them in each of the 4 corners of your room to combat bass standing waves that make the bass sound monotone. By getting 2, I can try putting one in each of my front corners, where I can kind of hide them behind stuff, but start getting an impact. I can also experiment with stacking both in a single corner to see where I get the most improvement.

1 Monster Bass Trap. Though it's a bass trap, it's also a broad-band absorber, and should do a fantastic job at the point of first reflection on my troublesome right side, and will help supplement the bass trapping from the Tri Traps.

It's going to stink if I fix the reflections on the right side, only to find out I have a problem on the left side. If that happens, I'll try sticking one of the Tri Traps in a position to help with first reflections on the left side.

From all the reading I'm doing online, the guy I'm working with is a well-known expert in this field. He's been incredibly patient with me, even knowing that my order (at least my first) is going to be relatively small. I'm just super impressed.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:49 PM
SOA

Fun serendipitous moment tonight! We had friends over this weekend, and sat outside with the fire pit. It was a little too cool even with the fire going, so my wife got a bunch of blankets out for guests. After the party, we stacked them up on a stool, right in the same place where I plan to put a sound treatment next month, to stop first reflections from that side.

Started listening to music tonight ... and it sounds awesome! Much improved stereo imaging, as previously the same instrument would jump around in space, depending on the note, a sure sign of reflection problems. Similarly, I'm getting a more balanced soundstage. Vocals are a good bit clearer. Yay!

Really looking forward to the impact I'll get from acoustic treatments actually designed for the purpose. I especially want to know what bass traps will do for me. My bass region seems very uneven right now.

Just another month or so left to wait!

Last edited by Egghead; 10-04-2017 at 12:14 AM..
Old 10-04-2017, 08:38 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Haha, very cool.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:16 AM
SOA

The most shocking thing out of my "poor man's sound treatment" is what it did to the balance. Before the blankets, I was having to bump up my right speaker 3.5 dB to get the phantom center where it should be. I figured that was just my lousy hearing. But the blankets forced me to set the balance back to even between left and right.

How weird is that, though? The blankets placed on that side made the sound seem to be coming MORE from that side. Intuitively, I would think it would be the opposite. But this is consistent with my reading, that really bad early reflections can actually cancel out some sound. Really freaky physics.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Yeah, acoustics are complicated. Your ears play tricks on you based on timing issues, and they aren't intuitive. The only way you can really hear the source correctly is if you take out those early reflection points. It's crazy what a difference it makes.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:20 PM
SOA

Yep, another benefit of absorbing the early reflections is the "height" of the soundstage. I'd achieved that effect one other time with an arrangement of the speakers that looked really crappy but sounded great (speakers pulled WAY out into the room).

I still don't have the best "depth" to my soundstage. Again, I've been able to achieve that in the past by pulling the speakers way out. I'm not sure if I'll have enough absorption to achieve the same effect while leaving my speakers where I've got to have them for aesthetic purposes. But we'll see. It's definitely fun playing with all this and hearing my system sound better and better.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:25 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
Yeah, acoustics are complicated. Your ears play tricks on you based on timing issues, and they aren't intuitive. The only way you can really hear the source correctly is if you take out those early reflection points. It's crazy what a difference it makes.
Read an interesting article that says this gets more important with age. Older ears not only don't hear the full frequency spectrum as well, but older brains struggle more than younger ones to make sense of the reflections and turning them into location of sound in space. So treatment of early reflections may be more important the older one gets.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Read an interesting article that says this gets more important with age. Older ears not only don't hear the full frequency spectrum as well, but older brains struggle more than younger ones to make sense of the reflections and turning them into location of sound in space. So treatment of early reflections may be more important the older one gets.
Very interesting.