Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 10-01-2012, 12:32 AM
water water is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 59
Blog Entries: 2
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peetie Skunk View Post
No, if you read the whole post I'm implying that non-decent people who are also reclusive introverts typically don't make good employees, especially in a highly social corporate environment where verbal communication skills are paramount.
I am an introvert according to all the personality tests. However, I feel like I get a long with everyone in the office well. For example, in one job I had years ago, the very first time they started employee of the month, my co-workers quite unanimously voted for me for it and I won it. And they gushed a bunch of good things about me, "always helpful, helps out, always on top of things etc etc". In my current job, the boss announced before the team meeting that she would be ordering pizza during the meeting because the team had received several accolades over the past few weeks. But when she described the 3 accolades during the meeting, they were all about me! Two of the team members called me out for handling things very well during two separate crisis situations. And someone outside the office (outside customer) called me out because I always deliver and am always very thorough.

I don't understand why if I did not have extracurricular activities in college and am introverted, why this means during the interview I cannot get along with people
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-01-2012, 12:46 AM
lllj's Avatar
lllj lllj is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
I am an introvert according to all the personality tests. However, I feel like I get a long with everyone in the office well. For example, in one job I had years ago, the very first time they started employee of the month, my co-workers quite unanimously voted for me for it and I won it. And they gushed a bunch of good things about me, "always helpful, helps out, always on top of things etc etc". In my current job, the boss announced before the team meeting that she would be ordering pizza during the meeting because the team had received several accolades over the past few weeks. But when she described the 3 accolades during the meeting, they were all about me! Two of the team members called me out for handling things very well during two separate crisis situations. And someone outside the office (outside customer) called me out because I always deliver and am always very thorough.

I don't understand why if I did not have extracurricular activities in college and am introverted, why this means during the interview I cannot get along with people
Wait, so you have a job? Are you a career changer? Why are they asking you about your college extracurriculars then? Why not just your current hobbies? In that case, it's not too late to get a hobby. You don't have to be great at anything; just say, "I'm trying to learn piano," or "I just started playing tennis and have been spending a lot of time practicing," or something. Or start volunteering somewhere. You just need enough so that you have literally one thing you can say as a response to that question.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-01-2012, 12:51 AM
water water is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 59
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
Wait, so you have a job? Are you a career changer? Why are they asking you about your college extracurriculars then? Why not just your current hobbies? In that case, it's not too late to get a hobby. You don't have to be great at anything; just say, "I'm trying to learn piano," or "I just started playing tennis and have been spending a lot of time practicing," or something. Or start volunteering somewhere. You just need enough so that you have literally one thing you can say as a response to that question.
I have a temp job that I have been working for over half a year now. It is ending soon.

(Incidentally, one of my co-workers let it slip to me while we were in the kitchen that they are going to throw a pot-luck for me on my last day).
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:42 AM
kyotousa kyotousa is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
I have a temp job that I have been working for over half a year now. It is ending soon.
.
This is some out of the world thread!! I sense a troll
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM
lllj's Avatar
lllj lllj is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyotousa View Post
This is some out of the world thread!! I sense a troll
The fact that there are two threads, the other of which is obviously the same OP being a troll, adds evidence to that.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Westley Westley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 30,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
I tutored my last 2 quarters of college when I had a lighter course load.
So, you're saying that you really enjoyed teaching and so to fill your time you took advantage of the opportunity to do something you liked while making some extra money? That's interesting tell me more about your interests!

Seriously, get a book on interviewing. You're getting all caught up on a very straightforward question that any mediocre book would tell you how to handle.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Annie Howe's Avatar
Annie Howe Annie Howe is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,134
Default

Geez, another troll. I wish trolls were funnier, it is all very boring.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM
FormLetter's Avatar
FormLetter FormLetter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 49,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I disagree. Some people don't have basements, and I'm pretty sure most of them end up with jobs, imo.
So the OP should get a hobby doing cement work, fill their parents' basement with cement, put "cement work" on their resume as a hobby, and then they will get a job either because there is no basement in their parents' house or because they now finally have a hobby on their resume.
__________________
Come join the AO Rap Battle Tournament 2013:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...33#post7082433
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-01-2012, 05:17 PM
osaat osaat is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
Wait, so you have a job? Are you a career changer? Why are they asking you about your college extracurriculars then? Why not just your current hobbies? In that case, it's not too late to get a hobby. You don't have to be great at anything; just say, "I'm trying to learn piano," or "I just started playing tennis and have been spending a lot of time practicing," or something. Or start volunteering somewhere. You just need enough so that you have literally one thing you can say as a response to that question.
This is the quesiton I've had since pages ago. Sounds like OP has a job at a company that has an actuarial opening? So why is he not applying there already if he has such a good reputation at work? Why is OP going on and on about COLLEGE activities when he has so much to talk about at his CURRENT employer? And isn't he the one that would not stop talking about how he became totally paralyzed and not able to function after an internship where he learned nothing? Really bizzare thread.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-01-2012, 05:24 PM
clam clam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osaat View Post
This is the quesiton I've had since pages ago. Sounds like OP has a job at a company that has an actuarial opening? So why is he not applying there already if he has such a good reputation at work? Why is OP going on and on about COLLEGE activities when he has so much to talk about at his CURRENT employer? And isn't he the one that would not stop talking about how he became totally paralyzed and not able to function after an internship where he learned nothing? Really bizzare thread.
This is correct. He has probem talking his college activites as well as his current job assignment in the interview. And yet, all of his posts are about how good he is with current coworkers and how fast he learns in the current position.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.42912 seconds with 11 queries