Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 PM
CAS SOA

Default Wondering if I can still get into actuarial, or if I should just forget about it...

I haven't been able to get into the actuarial field. I have tried a lot of alternative things, like doing an internship after graduating, and getting "any job" in an insurance company.

After the internship, the CA said on my last day that he would definitely give me a recommendation. He also said as I ran into him in the parking lot as I was leaving that he wanted me to call him and let him know when I found my first job. Well I was never able to call him with any good news because I wasn't able to find a job. Also, I was never able to use him as a recommendation because I never got to the point where someone would call him.

I also took jobs at insurance companies that were mainly data-entry type jobs but I could not progress anywhere past that. At my last temp job at an insurance company, on my last day the boss said (as I was giving her my badge) that I could definitely use her as a reference and that if I needed any help getting into actuarial, she would help me... But the insurance company only has 3 credentialed actuaries on staff, and, I looked at the employee directory while I was there and there were only about 6 total actuarial staff. I've never seen the place hire actuaries...

Also, I have passed all the preliminary exams, but I still couldn't find a job. I read a recent post on here that said if you have 3 exams and can't find a job, you should stop taking them because you'll likely never find an actuarial job... Well the reason why I continued to take the exams was because I wanted to have a better chance to get into the field and show my commitment to get into the field. But I read in the post that if you have 5 exams and are still looking for a job, nobody will want to interview you anymore since they know everyone else has rejected you so there must be something wrong with you. Well, this is true in my case because I don't even get interviews anymore. So at this point, I don't know if I should just forget about getting into the field or what...
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Non-Actuary

Are you in the US or Canada?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:20 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Howe View Post
Are you in the US or Canada?
USA.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Non-Actuary

Hmmm this is silly because it is tougher to get a job in Canada usually, but why not try Canada? They like exams more up here.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Hmmm this is silly because it is tougher to get a job in Canada usually, but why not try Canada? They like exams more up here.
Yeah I never thought of that. I thought it only worked the other way around.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:22 PM
CAS

Studying for FCAS

Did you apply to every opening you could find in the US? If you're not even getting to the phone interview stage, there might be an issue with your resume.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukelampard View Post
Did you apply to every opening you could find in the US? If you're not even getting to the phone interview stage, there might be an issue with your resume.
Yes.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 PM
SOA

Studying for GH Advanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
Yes.
Did you post your resume on AO so that everyone could tear it apart and explain how you failed in every way?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Non-Actuary

Hmmm maybe post your resume on here and let the nice people rip it to shreds. They are very good at it on here.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 PM
SOA

Studying for GH Advanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Math Addict View Post
Did you post your resume on AO so that everyone could tear it apart and explain how you failed in every way?
Quote:
Hmmm maybe post your resume on here and let the nice people rip it to shreds. They are very good at it on here.
ha! idea jinx!