Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 01-23-2013, 02:58 PM
SOA

Studying for GH Advanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily."
i've yet tocome across a problem that can't be solved at least temporarily by drinking
Old 01-23-2013, 04:14 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
No one can answer this for you, it is a personal descision of ones own breaking point to throw in the towel. I almost felt bad for you but I don't know how long you have been looking.

My story: It took me 15 months after graduation to land my first job. That period of my life was like crawling through broken glass. I went through many crap jobs (Waiter, office drone, etc). Got fired from one of them because they found out I called in sick to interview for another job (it was actuarial). I also never got the job. The Girlfriend I was living with at the time started b***ing about how I'm broke (I was and living paycheck to paycheck), and "wasting time studying exams for a career that is a ghost". Many arguments with her over money. I became exremely depressed to the point I felt I was at rock bottom. I started drinking heavily which got increasingly worse. At one point I was drinking 6-7 days a week. I stuck through it albeit drunk, and eventually landed my first job. Do you know what? It was worth every minute of it. Three actuarial jobs later, I love my career, I'm on top of my game and have the world by the balls. I'm just trying to remain humble because I know how bad life can b*** smack you, and keep kicking you when your down.

That said answer this question for yourself. The only advice I would give is it sounds like you are a good candidate on paper, but may need to sharpen your interviewing skills.

Best of luck, and if you do land a job dig up this thread and post it.
Well yeah I have gone through a series of crap jobs too. You get shitted on by customers who take their anger out on you when all you are trying to do is your best job. But actually the worst part of the crap job is that it is actually hard to get a day off to go interview. They run on such a short margin at such jobs that if someone is absent, even with a few days notice in advance, it can screw everything up for the day. I felt bad taking even a personal day off at one crap-job and would give them months-in-advance notice if I would have to take a day off, like to take an exam. There was actually one crap-job I had where over a year's time I only took one day off, and that was to take an exam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clam View Post
You passed 5 exams. That's your PLUS. Did you pass these exams without studying days? That gives you extra points.

Data-entry job is not a small position in any insurance company. You are talking data quality. Without data quality, any actuarial analysis would be meaningless. You can talk about how you spot errors. Did you learn anything about insurance knowledge (coverage, premium, loss ratio, etc...)?

Also, you should expand your search in different city. A lot of companies are looking for career changers, not just fresh grads.
Yes, I passed the exams without studying days. I have never been in an actuarial student program. I actually passed them while working overtime too (40+ hours) at crap jobs.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
Well yeah I have gone through a series of crap jobs too. You get shitted on shat upon by customers who take their anger out on you when all you are trying to do is your best job. But actually the worst part of the crap job is that it is actually hard to get a day off to go interview. They run on such a short margin at such jobs that if someone is absent, even with a few days notice in advance, it can screw everything up for the day. I felt bad taking even a personal day off at one crap-job and would give them months-in-advance notice if I would have to take a day off, like to take an exam. There was actually one crap-job I had where over a year's time I only took one day off, and that was to take an exam.

Yes, I passed the exams without studying days. I have never been in an actuarial student program. I actually passed them while working overtime too (40+ hours) at crap jobs.
IFYP

On a more serious note:

Don't let the frustration get the better of you. But, ultimately, only you can decide the right course of action.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA

I'm not sure about your grammatical correction above. Let me call George Carlin.

Oh, he's dead. Too bad.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matamagato View Post
jesus christ
He had nothing to do with it.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9
College: tDEC survivor
Favorite beer: Capt'n Eli's root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
No one can answer this for you, it is a personal descision of ones own breaking point to throw in the towel. I almost felt bad for you but I don't know how long you have been looking.

My story: It took me 15 months after graduation to land my first job. That period of my life was like crawling through broken glass. I went through many crap jobs (Waiter, office drone, etc). Got fired from one of them because they found out I called in sick to interview for another job (it was actuarial). I also never got the job. The Girlfriend I was living with at the time started b***ing about how I'm broke (I was and living paycheck to paycheck), and "wasting time studying exams for a career that is a ghost". Many arguments with her over money. I became exremely depressed to the point I felt I was at rock bottom. I started drinking heavily which got increasingly worse. At one point I was drinking 6-7 days a week. I stuck through it albeit drunk, and eventually landed my first job. Do you know what? It was worth every minute of it. Three actuarial jobs later, I love my career, I'm on top of my game and have the world by the balls. I'm just trying to remain humble because I know how bad life can b*** smack you, and keep kicking you when your down.

That said answer this question for yourself. The only advice I would give is it sounds like you are a good candidate on paper, but may need to sharpen your interviewing skills.

Best of luck, and if you do land a job dig up this thread and post it.
You have no idea how encouraging it was to read this. My own job search has gone on for close to two years now, and in that time only two companies have so much as given me a phone interview. At times trying to get an EL job in this field really feels like you're just chasing air, especially for someone like me who's a career changer. Just knowing that it can be done is a huge amount of encouragement to keep at it. I just have to remind myself that once I have another exam or two under my belt things may turn around (I made the mistake of listening to that "taking more exams before EL is bad" advice that some recruiters seem to be spouting, and I didn't want to spend more money on exams than necessary).

The one thing I feel blessed by is that my girlfriend was nowhere near as b****y as yours. The financial limbo my job search has me in does cause her distress at times, but she's still very supportive. In fact she even went through with exchanging her "girlfriend" title for "wife" in the midst of this madness.
Course on Professionalism [✔]