Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 01-27-2013, 03:40 AM
Non-Actuary

I just did a silly left/right brain test online and came out right brained. Maybe I have your whatchamacallit disorder too.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Howe View Post
Hmmm... I buy into Briggs Meyers personality types, to a large extent. It is obviously not the be all and end all of how people think, but it helps me make sense of it a little bit.

Maybe the N versus S is relevant. N's are more abstract thinkers. A lot of the math people tend to be N's. S's are concrete thinkers. They rely on examples. specific cases etc. more. This makes me think S's would be more likely to try to learn specific cases first, rather than think about the general concept.

I am an N, and have trouble talking to S's sometimes. My father is an S. When I talk to him, it feels like he is randomly pointing out facts around a certain topic, without an overall point. I adopted a strategy where if he does that, I let go of whatever I was asking about, and say something random but related. He seems to be happy with that. I met some artist types which are similar, the same strategy worked with them too. I am not sure if all S's are like that or not, probably not. Still, at least some S's seem to like to chat without needing an overarching point.

With geometry versus analysis, I am not sure. I am quite good with geometry and drawing. Some other, brilliant people who are excellent in analysis and string theory, are not. I was surprised, but I never even thought we had a different way of thinking because of this.

Some people have exceptional memory, like photographic memory, others can recall something they heard, like an audio recording. I have some of this audio recording thing, but it's not very good. Just enough to play annoying music in my head over and over again. I will remember random conversations verbatim. Otherwise than that, I am like you. I will remember whatever the overall meaning or pattern I thought was there, and I will remember everything else in relation to that. Come to think of it, I did have more trouble learning history than some others I know. I guess that is because I can't see the pattern before learning all the little facts. I do have a good memory though. I score very high on memory games and all.
Is it possible for N-types to learn to be more S? Is it possible for S-types to learn to be more N?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:46 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
Is it possible for N-types to learn to be more S? Is it possible for S-types to learn to be more N?
I believe so, yes. It's just your personality, it's not like people's personality can't change.

ETA: Ah, the old switcharoo... I don't think it would be easy for me to turn into an S, though.

I don't want to either. I am an ENTP, and like all ENTP's, I believe I am teh awesome.

Last edited by Annie Howe; 01-27-2013 at 04:56 AM..
Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for GED
Favorite beer: Scieoclean

Quote:
I just did a silly left/right brain test online and came out right brained. Maybe I have your whatchamacallit disorder too.
i can never take those things cause i hate deciding between two answers when neither really suits me, and i'm just kinda bored at how easy they want to make their opinion.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by algebrat View Post
i can never take those things cause i hate deciding between two answers when neither really suits me, and i'm just kinda bored at how easy they want to make their opinion.
I know, right? It was very silly. Would your friends say you are more likely to invent a time machine or get lost in the mall

Would you visit a historical building or a science center in Europe?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Practice. Practice. Practice.

Research. Research. Research.

That's what interviews invariably come down to. You won't get better until you get out of your comfort zone. Also, you need to stop making excuses as to why you didn't get hired. (even if they may be accurate)

This has been brought up before: Tape yourself. In interviews it's not just the content of what you're saying that is important, it's also how you express it. Connecting to the person that is interviewing you is extremely important, and you have to learn how to do that. I know this is difficult for an introverted person, but it's really the only way you'll get better at this.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 AM

I'm probably a worse interviewee than you. There is hope!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
I believe so, yes. It's just your personality, it's not like people's personality can't change.

ETA: Ah, the old switcharoo... I don't think it would be easy for me to turn into an S, though.

I don't want to either. I am an ENTP, and like all ENTP's, I believe I am teh awesome.
It's preference, as in you prefer intuition and can get drained if you're forced into repeating a skill. Your type doesn't change, although people's test results will as a lot of people aren't honest enough with themselves when taking the test.

Sounds to me like the OP is an INTP who hasn't developed his social skills enough. Seriously, that's my type and I recognize the thought patterns in his writing, but he's not making the jump from, "they don't understand what I'm saying," to "I'm not communicating my points correctly."

Interviewing is a skill, not something people just do. If you find yourself bragging, you're doing it wrong.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
It's preference, as in you prefer intuition and can get drained if you're forced into repeating a skill. Your type doesn't change, although people's test results will as a lot of people aren't honest enough with themselves when taking the test.
Does that mean if you are an S, you can never develop N skills? I am a type S according to all the tests, but I've always valued abstract and conceptual thinking, though I have never been very good at it and wish I was better at it...
Old 01-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
Does that mean if you are an S, you can never develop N skills? I am a type S according to all the tests, but I've always valued abstract and conceptual thinking, though I have never been very good at it and wish I was better at it...
I don't think the type has to do with skill. You can prefer to think abstractly, yet suck at math.

Pretty sure you can improve your abstract thinking skills. Reading philosophy or logic should help. So would going through the fundamentals of math. Analysis for example. Or going through simple proofs till you can do proofs you haven't seen before.