Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-17-2020, 03:54 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello, My Baby View Post
It leaves the person in a state of not really knowing where they stand for an indefinite period of time. This can really take a toll on someone's psyche. Just be up-front, at minimum say they're not under consideration.
Right, but calling it passive-aggressive implies intent (Westley's reasoning, which you cropped out of your response, seems a more likely motive to me).
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 01-17-2020, 03:59 PM

Yeah, we're not really disagreeing over what's happening, just over what PA means. Your response, toll on your psyche, etc is really not relevant to whether or not it's PA, IMO.

If the HR person is trying to avoid giving an answer because they don't want confrontation... PA IMO. If they just come in to work each day and say "OK, what's the next role I have to fill, don't have time to send emails to people we're not currently pursuing", not PA IMO. Rude either way.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:59 PM
SOA

Studying for DP

It's frustrating when this happens - in my EL search I encountered this a lot and would wait 90 days after a final stage interview without getting a "sorry, we're moving forward with someone else." This is mostly a function of there being way more EL candidates than positions.

..now that I'm past the "get the EL job" step I know who to steer clear of. You don't want to work for companies where ghosting is acceptable in their culture and I won't try to get a position at those places again even if I'm in more demand with cred, experience, etc..

I haven't tried hopping to a role that requires cred yet but I imagine ghosting happens way less then unless there's a reputation issue or something
Old 01-17-2020, 04:03 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello, My Baby View Post
Has ghosting become the new normal during the job search?
I don't think it's new. I've looked for jobs on and off for the past 20 years and have had ghosting at points since the beginning.

I've also been on the employer's side. The reasoning is usually that the candidate is our second choice, so we don't want to tell them "no" until we figure out what's going on, so we delay...
Old 01-17-2020, 04:06 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Didn't know this before. If your user name is long, it shrinks the main text box. That's annoying.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:14 PM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
I don't think it's new. I've looked for jobs on and off for the past 20 years and have had ghosting at points since the beginning.

I've also been on the employer's side. The reasoning is usually that the candidate is our second choice, so we don't want to tell them "no" until we figure out what's going on, so we delay...
This. Might have seen a decent candidate but are still looking hoping for a better fit.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:00 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for years

This was the way 12 years ago as well. Some situations were outrageous. Extremely unprofessional practice.
Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
... I've also been on the employer's side. The reasoning is usually that the candidate is our second choice, so we don't want to tell them "no" until we figure out what's going on, so we delay...
Agree. When I was involved in recruiting we might have ranked three or four interviewees, and made an offer to the first. But candidates are interviewing at multiple places, and often have their own preference order of employers. So they stall / don't respond for a few weeks.

Depending on how urgently we needed to fill the position (e.g. current vacancy vs. next year's EL graduate recruit) we might be prepared to wait. It doesn't look good to say to a candidate "you're the second/third choice, and we waiting to hear from the others". And then the same thing can sometimes happen if we have to offer it to the second candidate etc.

So we might not reject any interviewees until we have definitely filled the postion. But agree it is rude not to eventually respond to everyone.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:38 AM
SOA

Quote:

I can see this. after you go through the whole hiring process for the candidate you actually hire it would be easy to forget the rest of the pack. Could be months between the interview process and actually getting some one in the door. And your #1 could drop out at any time if they get a good counter offer from their old employer.

Agree with others that its still lazy/sloppy HR practice. I have had on sites that resulted in no response. Annoying when it happens, but when interviewing you should always just move onto the next opportunity. Dont just interview and then wait by the phone for a response.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:39 PM
SOA

I had a phone interview where the interviewer called me 20 minutes late, opened with “Why should we hire you?”, and then ended the conversation after 4 minutes, saying that they had to interview someone else and would call me back to finish later that day, which never happened.

It’s not complete ghosting, but still quite rude IMO.

Tags
ghosting