Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 01-15-2020, 06:17 PM
SOA

College: Bellarmine University Alumni

Whatís the recommended strategy for taking this exam multiple times? I am on my third attempt and am not sure how to go about studying. First attempt was no chance, second attempt I got a 5.. for my second sitting I went through all the material again in detail since I did poorly round 1. should I do that again since itís been forever since I looked at the material and donít remember anything? Or do a speed read through to allow more time for review and practice problems?? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
APC
Old 01-16-2020, 10:42 AM
SOA

College: FSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuarial Brewski View Post
Whatís the recommended strategy for taking this exam multiple times? I am on my third attempt and am not sure how to go about studying. First attempt was no chance, second attempt I got a 5.. for my second sitting I went through all the material again in detail since I did poorly round 1. should I do that again since itís been forever since I looked at the material and donít remember anything? Or do a speed read through to allow more time for review and practice problems?? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I didn't pass, so take this with a grain of salt. Towards the end of my studying for the exam, I did start to really love the material. I'm excited that I've found a career path where I'm quite interested in the subject matter. I wish I passed the exam on the first sitting, but I know that next time I sit for it, I will have the material mastered, which is the way it should be.

I've passed four exams before this, all on their first sitting. Each time, before I took an exam, I knew I had the material covered before sitting. This time, I didn't have that same feeling. ( I still did well on MC, but got my butt handed to me on WA.)

What I'm going to try and do this time around is: enjoy the processs, and looking forward to having important subject matter mastered.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:45 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Wow, TotalBro, I wish I had your attitude haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuarial Brewski View Post
I prefer to go through the material quickly to have more time for practice problems. I found that going through all of the old exam WAs and the coaching actuaries sample WAs really thoroughly helped me a lot.

I would also recommend reviewing the newer sections pretty thoroughly. There aren't as many practice problems on these, and I feel like some people didn't focus as much on it, but some of the questions are SUPER easy (even though the formulas look complicated), it's definitely worth taking the time to know that stuff well
APC
Old 01-17-2020, 10:53 AM
SOA

College: Alumnus of University of Kentucky

The detailed transcript was released today for those interested in seeing how they did on the WAs. Seeing how bad my scores were on them (7, 4, 2, 1, 1, 2), I'm shocked that I still managed to squeeze out a 5. WA is clearly the area I need to work on. Good luck to everyone retaking with me.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:01 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynewebb View Post
The detailed transcript was released today for those interested in seeing how they did on the WAs. Seeing how bad my scores were on them (7, 4, 2, 1, 1, 2), I'm shocked that I still managed to squeeze out a 5. WA is clearly the area I need to work on. Good luck to everyone retaking with me.
Thanks for that update. My scores were similar to yours.

I wish I tried a bit harder/smarter to eek out some partial credit.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:13 PM
SOA

Passing percentage is out, too. 41.2% passing, 50.2% effective pass rate.

I don't feel so bad about my 5.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:22 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBro View Post
Passing percentage is out, too. 41.2% passing, 50.2% effective pass rate.

I don't feel so bad about my 5.
Bro.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:51 PM
SOA

Studying for IFM
College: University of Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynewebb View Post
Where can you find the detailed transcript of your scores?
Old 01-18-2020, 07:47 PM
SOA

College: University of Missouri, 2nd year
Default Official solutions

Does anyone know when the official solutions will be posted by the SOA?
Old 01-19-2020, 02:13 AM
SOA

College: Alumnus of University of Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubztohawks View Post
Where can you find the detailed transcript of your scores?
Go to the "Exam Results" page on the SOA website and click the "Online Transcript Access". Log in, then next to your exam score will be a link that says "Details". Click that and you're there.

Tags
nimpo fsa no jutsu.