Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 01-12-2020, 03:23 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone unknown View Post
This will be my primary focus for prepping for my second sitting. I felt adequately prepared for this exam in all regards except for time management. When exam day came, I let my nerves get to me and quickly became flustered on the exam. I believe the ability to keep a calm head and work quickly are the main prerequisites for passing this exam.

I am curious to see the Fall 2019 pass rate however. My prediction is it will be close to that of Fall 2018, if not lower.
This is my first sitting and that's disheartening to hear... Working quickly is far and away my biggest weakness on exams (and at work).

I'm aiming to finish reviewing all the CA Material by the first week of February, allowing me to spend the next 2.5 months doing timed problems. Hopefully that's overkill...

Unrelated, but while I'm thinking about prep-strategy, I noticed from this link (https://question-information.coachingactuaries.com/) that there's a lot more level 8 SOA questions than 4-7. Since I'm trying to overprepare for this exam, I'm going to try to do a bunch of those questions too.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:38 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
Favorite beer: I like girly drinks

Taking this a third time. Seeing as how I got a 5 and was way above the multiple choice threshold, definitely focusing on time management with the WA this go around.
First time I took this exam I didn't even get through all of the material (due to conflicts between Q4/year-end close and study hours) and walked out after the minimum time was called.
Will be switching from TIA to CA this time and renting the source text. No way I'm failing again.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:10 AM
SOA

College: Bellarmine University Alumni

My third time too.. first sitting didn’t get MC graded, second sitting got a 5... trending upwards I guess, but so ready to be done this beast.. plan to go through the material again since I don’t remember a thing. Plan to finish by March and then have about 50 days for problems..
APC
Old 01-14-2020, 10:34 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for LTAM
College: Drake University Alum
Favorite beer: New Glarus Spotted Cow

LSB Checkpoint

I got to the end of the first chapter in the Coaching Actuaries manual last night. Not too terrible, although I can tell some of the expectation of life questions are gonna get real convoluted. I managed to have about 80% success on level 4-5 practice problems which I feel is good start.

It seems Coaching Actuaries doesn't have much in terms of practicing written-answer questions. Is there a good source out there with written-answer questions that I can practice on?
Old 01-15-2020, 02:14 AM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocustStreetBlues View Post

It seems Coaching Actuaries doesn't have much in terms of practicing written-answer questions. Is there a good source out there with written-answer questions that I can practice on?
Have you checked out "LTAM Written Answer Questions" available under Resources on your Coaching Actuaries dashboard? You will find exam tips, written-answer questions by topics, as well as written-answer practice exams there. That's plenty of written-answer questions for you to practice from.

Note that if you have a subscription to Adapt + Learn, we also provide a one-time grading service on one of the written-answer exams.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-15-2020, 02:18 AM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelayMeMaybe View Post

Unrelated, but while I'm thinking about prep-strategy, I noticed from this link (https://question-information.coachingactuaries.com/) that there's a lot more level 8 SOA questions than 4-7. Since I'm trying to overprepare for this exam, I'm going to try to do a bunch of those questions too.
We recommend getting comfortable with questions from level 4 - 7, as they are more representative of the difficulty of the current exam. Also, invest time on practicing the written-answer questions as well. Make sure to check out "LTAM Written Answer Questions" under Resources on your Coaching Actuaries dashboard.

All the best!
Old 01-15-2020, 09:44 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for LTAM
College: Drake University Alum
Favorite beer: New Glarus Spotted Cow

Thanks Tong!

It appears I'm just really blind and didn't see that part of the dashboard.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:42 PM
SOA

College: Bellarmine University Alumni

What’s the recommended strategy for taking this exam multiple times? I am on my third attempt and am not sure how to go about studying. First attempt was no chance, second attempt I got a 5.. for my second sitting I went through all the material again in detail since I did poorly round 1. should I do that again since it’s been forever since I looked at the material and don’t remember anything? Or do a speed read through to allow more time for review and practice problems?? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
APC
Old 01-17-2020, 07:45 PM
SOA

Default Chance of zeroized reserves showing up on the exam?

I've studied these before, but probably wouldn't have been able to do the calculations if it had shown up on the Fall 2019 exam. I'm having a hard time thinking of how they could ask a question relating to this material.

Does anyone know if this material has shown up before on an old MLC exam?
Old 01-20-2020, 09:04 PM
SOA

Hey guys, I've been planning to sit for the April LTAM exam but when I go onto SOA's website the online registration is closed even though the registration deadline says 23 March 2020. Just wanted to confirm is the online registration not opened yet? If so, does anyone know when will it open for registration?

Thanks in advance!