Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Exams - General Sub-fora: CFA exams
Non-specific topics and complaint department

Old 03-12-2016, 09:47 AM
SOA

Studying for MFE
Default Eating/drinking strategy just before the exam

What's your strategy for eating and drinking before the exam? I'm trying to figure out how to position myself such that i'm not overwhelmingly hungry or thirsty, but never feel the need to use the bathroom during the exam.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:54 AM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthActuarius View Post
What's your strategy for eating and drinking before the exam? I'm trying to figure out how to position myself such that i'm not overwhelmingly hungry or thirsty, but never feel the need to use the bathroom during the exam.
Eat and drink normally and use the bathroom before the exam. It's only a few hours.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:22 AM
SOA

Studying for MFE

Come on AO I can't be the only one that has this problem. I have a normal bladder and can go 3 hours without using the bathroom in normal life but the past two exams I was extremely distracted because I had to pee so bad half-way though. I take MFE tomorrow so today and yesterday I'm experimenting with how much water to drink how many hours before the exam. Yesterday I drank water 2 hours before and used the bathroom right before the exam, but still had to go during my simulated exam. AM I THE ONLY ONE??
Old 03-14-2016, 01:31 PM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

They let you pee in the exam centre as long as it's only one at a time right?

Caffeine is a diuretic, it will make you need to pee.

Dunno, eat something really salty half an hour before, it'll make you thirsty, but as long as you don't drink, it should also keep you from needing to pee by increasing the amount of water you body needs to retain to offset the salt.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:46 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: University of Cincinnati
Favorite beer: Left Handed Milk Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthActuarius View Post
I always try to have one or two alcoholic beverages before the exam. If you are used to drinking, this just takes the edge off of you and makes you not so nervous. I perform better on exams when I'm relaxed, opposed to just being nervous and up tight.

I discovered this strategy quite by mistake in high school. I signed up for the ACT 3 times: the first two times I got the exact same score -- since I figured I couldn't do any better I went out drinking the night before my 3rd ACT. I was pretty hung over the next morning and I even fell asleep briefly at one point during the ACT (I wasn't nervous at all though). Boy was I surprised when I got the score of my third ACT back and it improved by 3 points (from a 28 to a 31).

I've always seemed to do better than most by following a drinking exam strategy since.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhlenzp View Post
I always try to have one or two alcoholic beverages before the exam. If you are used to drinking, this just takes the edge off of you and makes you not so nervous. I perform better on exams when I'm relaxed, opposed to just being nervous and up tight.

I discovered this strategy quite by mistake in high school. I signed up for the ACT 3 times: the first two times I got the exact same score -- since I figured I couldn't do any better I went out drinking the night before my 3rd ACT. I was pretty hung over the next morning and I even fell asleep briefly at one point during the ACT (I wasn't nervous at all though). Boy was I surprised when I got the score of my third ACT back and it improved by 3 points (from a 28 to a 31).

I've always seemed to do better than most by following a drinking exam strategy since.
Do you keep a flask with you to make sure you keep the buzz going? Sounds like a good strategy for interviews as well. Actually, sounds like a good strategy for life. I may have to try that!

Old 08-28-2017, 04:47 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Michigan Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhlenzp View Post

If you have Xanax or Klonopin, taking a pill or two prior to your exam should help you relax too. But it is not recommended to mix them with alcohol.