Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Exams - General Sub-fora: CFA exams
Non-specific topics and complaint department

Old 03-07-2018, 10:23 AM
SOA

Default New mom and FSA exams

Hi! I just got my ASA and I am expecting my first child this year. I am trying to decide whether or not it is worth it to get my FSA. I was able to get through the prelims without failing an exam, but I had plenty of time to study. What have others experienced being a parent and also taking exams? Were you able to balance everything?

At my work, getting an FSA is encouraged but not required. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 04-07-2018, 11:17 AM
SOA

Studying for FSA modules

Really generic advice - But don't give up. I've seen many parents who have qualified. Studying for the exams are cumulative. Even if you fail a few times, you do become better at it. Your learning technique can also get better with time, requiring you lesser effort for the same material in later exams.

And at the worst case, you get to learn work related material. The FSA study material can actually make you much better at your work - not from a practical standpoint, but from a stronger conceptual basis. Your thinking becomes wider because the material is not specific to the company. You can appreciate your work, and make theoretical suggestions for improvement based on the material.

Also, the FSA exams are different from the prelims. Some people are better at them "by nature" than others. If you don't try, you won't know.

Coming from a guy who isn't a parent. But I've had a lot of difficulties passing the exams.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:49 PM
SOA

Studying for Taleo Avoidance

I'm a dad, not a mom, but still a parent of two kids under 5 taking exams (pre-ASA).

Your SO situation is a huge factor from a practical standpoint of whether or not it'll be hard(-er than FSA exams already are). It's a lot easier with a partner who is on board.

I didn't start taking exams until my first son was around 2 and my wife worked full-time as well. There was a month or so before exam time where we'd get the calendar out and block out the 2 weeknights per week I would commit to being home for bedtime. That part was no fun.

I also found that time expands once a plan is made and followed. You figure out what to cut out of your life.

tl;dr - I found kids have made me far more productive. Go for it.

Tags
exams, fsa, fsa exams, mom