Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Exams - General Sub-fora: CFA exams
Non-specific topics and complaint department

Old 06-10-2018, 06:39 PM
Non-Actuary

Default Reasking the classic question

I've heard a wide variety of opinions on ADAPT earned level versus actual test difficult. At what earned level would you all rate the exams? Also (AND PERHAPS MOST IMPORTANTLY), is it more useful to spend most of my study time creating custom exams within this difficulty (of the actual test) rather than doing (for example) earned level 9 difficulty tests?
Old 06-10-2018, 09:05 PM
SOA

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question. I suspect it is either not the classic question you see it as, or usually it is phrased very differently.

Are you asking about US actuarial exams? You would probably get a better response if you posted in a different part of the forum.

See the note above in this section:
Quote:
General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.
Thanks
Old 06-10-2018, 11:34 PM
Non-Actuary

I am asking about the website coachingactuaries, and the best utilization of that tool.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:48 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

That's not a classic question.

Beyond that, follow Woodrow's advice.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 06-11-2018, 03:50 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspringactuaryvp View Post
I've heard a wide variety of opinions on ADAPT earned level versus actual test difficult. At what earned level would you all rate the exams? Also (AND PERHAPS MOST IMPORTANTLY), is it more useful to spend most of my study time creating custom exams within this difficulty (of the actual test) rather than doing (for example) earned level 9 difficulty tests?
Depends on the exam but for the exams P, FM, MFE, and C (the exams I used the ADAPT system on) I would say that sticking to something around EL 7 exams was about where the actual exams sat. There is some tendency for MFE & C exams, especially, to just have more computationally time consuming questions at EL higher than 7.

You should really ask (as someone else recommended) in the exam specific fora.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:53 PM
CAS SOA

I recommend asking this question in each exam-specific sub-forum, one at a time as you study for that specific exam, as the answer could vary.

Personally, I thought the prelims were generally around a 6 and I would keep taking practice exams 1-2 levels above that. That's what worked for me by YMMV and the exams are constantly being updated anyway, hence my first paragraph.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:24 PM
CAS

This is an older graph. CA themselves would be best to equipped to answer your question.