Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-12-2018, 02:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Dojo View Post
Isn't one of the main points of the show that something is wrong with the way people are judged?
If we're retconning
Old 12-12-2018, 02:48 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
Yes technically, but

kind of makes the show more fun / less political / controversial.

If they'd made it a show about the Roman Catholic version of heaven / purgatory / hell or the mainline Protestant version of heaven / hell or the Buddhist version of afterlife it would be a serious detractor from the show, and there would be lots of criticisms any time they deviated even slightly from some official doctrinal position, which would be constantly.

As it is I can dismiss anything that doesn't jive with my beliefs about heaven / hell because it is clearly a fun fictional account that is not meant to be a serious interpretation of what actually happens to us after we die.
We're about to get a depiction of heaven that will almost certainly have nothing to do with God. That seems like a pretty big contradiction of any religious text I've studied. To have a heaven/hell dynamic at all already precludes Judaism and a number of other religions.

Sure, no one is going to look right at the camera and say "christianity gets it all wrong" but one hippie is shown to be getting it all right and none of the things he's concerned with are "accepting JC as his savior". You guys can say this stuff isn't religious but it's not hard to imagine a religious person getting their panties bunched over it.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:48 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
it's not hard to imagine a religious person getting their panties bunched over X
I know, I know.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:15 PM
SOA

Quote:
We're about to get a depiction of heaven that will almost certainly have nothing to do with God. That seems like a pretty big contradiction of any religious text I've studied.
I think everyone agrees on this. The point is that they are purposely deviating SO FAR from *any* religion that *anyone* takes seriously that it gives even fairly religious types the freedom to not take it seriously.

Like a lot of Christians (and I think some Jews too) had a big problem with the movie Noah, because it purports to be about this person who we believe was a real-life person who is particularly significant in our religious texts and Noah the movie deviates from things we believe to be true about Noah the man. (I haven't actually seen this one, and only sort-of remember the criticisms... I just particularly recall one of the pastors at my church calling the movie heretical.)

But that's hitting fairly close to religious doctrine.

But only the most uptight person would take a movie like Bruce Almighty seriously, and this is even more ridiculous than Bruce Almighty in terms of beliefs about the afterlife and the existence of a higher power and whatnot.

So yes, technically they are putting out these beliefs that contradict the actual religious beliefs of basically all 7.5 billion people on the planet, but they are so ridiculous that we can just enjoy the silliness.

Quote:
Sure, no one is going to look right at the camera and say "christianity gets it all wrong" but one hippie is shown to be getting it all right and none of the things he's concerned with are "accepting JC as his savior".
Didn't Ted Danson say almost exactly that in the pilot?

Quote:
You guys can say this stuff isn't religious but it's not hard to imagine a religious person getting their panties bunched over it.
Well someone somewhere will get their panties bunched over just about anything.

But unlike the movie Noah, which is purporting to put forth an account of actual religious beliefs, this is purporting to be pure fiction. I think that's the distinction that some of us are making.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:45 PM
SOA

Hmm, yeah I see it now. To me, these are equally valid conceptions of reckoning with our own mortality whereas to you, one is literally true and the other is just a work of modern fiction. I agree that it's not a viewpoint that's a threat to any established religion's power, which is what matters.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:53 PM
SOA

Quote:
I agree that it's not a viewpoint that's a threat to any established religion's power, which is what matters.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Dojo View Post
Isn't one of the main points of the show that something is wrong with the way people are judged?
I don't know. I've never seen the show.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:06 PM
CAS

I mean shirt, if the litmus test for religious is "something that might get religious people all verklempt" then...
Old 12-16-2018, 06:00 PM

Then even having cheese and crackers is sacrilegious.

weird, I thought I made a misspelling, and instead, I learned how to speel a werd
Old 01-12-2019, 02:17 AM

new episode was good. their favorite smells were hilarious.