Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:42 PM
CAS

College: ITT Tech
Default Has anyone done a migration to Office 365?

For security reasons, our company is planning to move ALL our network files to the online Sharepoint site. We are currently using a shared network drive.

So far the process has been poorly explained. But apparently we can use our local Excel programs to access the online files. How will this affect any links to other spreadsheets and our macros that open other files? There isn't any apparent functionality like Google Drive or Dropbox where the local files are synced online. It's all stored online only. And when accessing SQL servers, you need a local DSN file right? So many things that can go wrong

Has anyone else gone through this? What other things would concern you? I feel like this has potential to totally ruin our workflow.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:45 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Ask for OneDrive.

It drives me nuts how much people love SharePoint.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: Statistical Inference, Bayesian Data Analysis
Old 11-11-2017, 11:38 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
And when accessing SQL servers, you need a local DSN file right? So many things that can go wrong
Depends on what you're trying to access it. If you're using SSMS you can just connect directly by using your credentials. with a programming language, you'll need the appropriate connection string.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:44 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
For security reasons, our company is planning to move ALL our network files to the online Sharepoint site. We are currently using a shared network drive.

So far the process has been poorly explained. But apparently we can use our local Excel programs to access the online files. How will this affect any links to other spreadsheets and our macros that open other files? There isn't any apparent functionality like Google Drive or Dropbox where the local files are synced online. It's all stored online only. And when accessing SQL servers, you need a local DSN file right? So many things that can go wrong

Has anyone else gone through this? What other things would concern you? I feel like this has potential to totally ruin our workflow.
The problem can be solved by just getting rid of spreadhseets. I don't use Excel for any serious work, except for keeping track of my calorie intake. I use MS Azure as my centralized data store.

Most analytical work is done via scripting with web technology (Javascript/CSS/HTML) as a reporting layer for dashboards and presentations.

If you want to keep it limited to MS, you can do something like:

(Data stored in Azure) -> (Analytics with Spark, Microsoft R HDI) -> (Presentations with power BI)

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:09 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

I have to use sharepoint and it is annoying as f*ck.
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 11-11-2017, 01:19 PM
CAS

So does everyone agree that OP should go back to management and say, "don't do it, some guys from the AO tried it before and said it was a bad idea." ?

Quote:
Old 11-11-2017, 04:02 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
This.

SharePoint has got to be one of the worst products ever produced.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:15 PM
CAS AAA

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
Which version of SharePoint?

The older versions of SharePoint are annoying as f*ck.

I've only casually played with the current version of SharePoint (friends at Microsoft = free Office365 subscription), but it seems much better behaved as regards Office applications, approaching the level of being almost indistinguishable from networked drives at first glance.

I'd be interested in hearing if my impression is incorrect.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:19 PM
CAS AAA

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
The problem can be solved by just getting rid of spreadhseets.
Unfortunately, some of us have to work with non-actuaries whom we're lucky to get to basic level of Excel proficiency.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:31 AM
CAS

College: ITT Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto's Sidekick View Post
Unfortunately, some of us have to work with non-actuaries whom we're lucky to get to basic level of Excel proficiency.
this, our teammates would rather quit than replace Excel for their work. i confirmed that we can open the cloud files with local Excel to edit, but i don't know how the linking/calling between files would work.