Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Is it a resonance - i.e. you see it in the ETC waterfall, or just a big bump in the freq response? Or both, I suppose.

I'm not sure at what frequency the walls may resonate, that would be a tough one to tame. You're talking about a 28' wave at 40Hz, this may be a 'room mode' where you're getting a lot of constructive interference, and maybe if you're fat at 40Hz, some EQ would work.

Otherwise, yes, trying to damp at 40Hz is gonna be hard! Really hard. Would prob need to add multiple layers of drywall with some serious constrained layer damping in between. Yikes!
Yep, it's a resonance on the waterfall. Still ringing after 450ms. Yuck.

Not worth extreme measures in the current situation. That's our family room. Maybe in the next house, I can have a home theater set up like a dedicated listening room.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:54 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Yep, it's a resonance on the waterfall. Still ringing after 450ms. Yuck.

Not worth extreme measures in the current situation. That's our family room. Maybe in the next house, I can have a home theater set up like a dedicated listening room.
Yeah, you’re probably just going to live with this issue. Now I want to see this measurement in my room.

But first, hoping to test my sub isolation theory. And maybe build those synergy horns.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:40 PM
SOA

I'm opening the room treatments tonight! I wonder how much sleep I'll get.

Here's the gameplan:

1) Lower the volume on the subwoofer, and try running some tests to get it closer to leveled out with the main front L/R speakers. I might also try a lower crossover in bass management. Apparently, when I use the cleaner "direct" mode on my receiver, the bass management only limits the signal sent to the subwoofer. The mains are still getting the full-spectrum signal. So my low end, up to the crossover, is "doubled up."

2) Place a corner tri-trap in each of my front corners, and repeat the measurements to see how much improvement I get. (That is, I'll do one corner, then the other corner, and finally both together. The tests don't take too long, now that I know what I'm doing. It will be interesting to see which of the corners provides more value by treating.)

3) Add the monster trap, which should go in front of my fireplace, and repeat measurements.

4) Listen to a bunch of music and see how I like it qualitatively.

5) Tinker to my heart's content with the placement of the traps, taking measurements and writing up notes about how each configuration sounds to my ear.

I'm not sure if I'll get around to playing with surround speakers. I spent most of my time listening to 2.1 sound, and that's what I want to get right tonight. 5.1 and 7.1 sound will probably wait till Saturday.

Last edited by Egghead; 11-10-2017 at 03:50 PM..
Old 11-10-2017, 09:58 PM
SOA

So, my subwoofer blew a fuse. Bought a new fuse, only to have it blown as soon as I tried to turn the unit on.

Yay.

Fortunately, it's still under warranty. Unfortunately, I'll have to pay for shipping this 66 pound beast. If they cover the repair under warranty, they'll pay for the return shipping.

Really crummy timing. I was planning to use the whole weekend to "dial in" my sound. Oh well. At least I can concentrate on getting my main front L/R speakers right.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:24 PM
SOA

Wow, this software makes it possible to test a TON of layouts very, very quickly.

I got the most dramatic improvement by placing a single Tri-Trap in the corner behind my TV (between the two front speakers.) Completely wiped out the ringing I had at 20 Hz! I didn't expect that kind of improvement so quickly.

Adding another Tri-Trap in the corner by the sub made little difference. Then again, the sub isn't working. I suspect when it is, that Tri-Trap is going to be impactful.

So now I've been playing around with the Monster Trap. With the Tri-Traps in place, I still have a ringing at 30 Hz, though not a terrible one. I can make it a little better by putting the Monster on its side directly in front of the leather sectional.

One really interesting thing: my music sounds louder at the same volume level. I've read this can happen: the removed bass ringing is no longer disrupting the other parts of the sound spectrum. Pretty cool.

I still feel like stereo imaging could be better. I'll have to play around more with placement of the Monster Trap and see what I can achieve. But so far, I'm pretty pleased.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:05 AM
SOA

Finally figured out how to get the value from the Monster Trap! Because of the fireplace, I've always (before now) had to toe in the right speaker more than I liked. I moved it slightly (still toed in, but not as much) and all of a sudden, it's much better! I've got the Monster Trap in front of the fireplace, but angled parallel to my seated position. It's surprising that imaging got better, even while reducing toe-in.

How much difference did it make? Genesis' "Abacab" (the title track) sounds like I'm listening to a full surround sound system, even though I'm down to 2 speakers. This is the sound I've been striving for!
Old 11-14-2017, 01:19 AM
SOA

Outlaw Audio told me to remove the amplifier portion of my subwoofer and send just that part to them. So at least I'm not paying shipping for anywhere near the whole 66 pounds!

I saw a couple of comments from buyers who had the exact same problem I did. Both said Outlaw took good care of them, and they've been in good shape ever since. Hopefully that will be my experience as well!
Old 11-15-2017, 01:44 PM
SOA

Cost me less than $17 to ship back just the amp out of my sub. I imagine it would have been at least $50 more to send the whole sub.

Can't wait to get my sub up and running again. I'm completely bummed that I haven't yet been able to hear my complete system along with the acoustic treatments. I can tell the acoustic treatments are helping in some ways, but I definitely miss that really low end. There is a visceral component that is missing without that "bass you can feel."