Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2016 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 11-12-2017, 11:57 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Question Condensed version of the PostgreSQL manual?

Duuuude, this thing is almost 3500 pages long! What could possibly be so important that it needs that many pages to express?

https://www.postgresql.org/files/doc...esql-10-US.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:27 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

In an attempt to take a shortcut, I started reading a shorter book called "Learning Postgresql" which I've concluded is pretty awful. I've gone through 75 pages and I have yet to get around to writing a single query. If you're going to write a SQL book, please don't start with cluster partitioning and hardware configuration or access control. Most people just want to go straight to creating/manipulating data. Thanks!

So, scratch that. I'll be doing this short little tutorial online that immediately starts with queries. I just want to learn the subtleties of this particular SQL implementation wrt DDL and DML syntax.

http://www.postgresqltutorial.com/

I'm thinking, other than these little tutorials, the official manual might be my best bet, despite its gargantuan length. The last 1400 pages just cover appendixes and the first 450 pages might be all I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.