Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActSciMan View Post
Speaking of the YYYY-MM-DD format, I like when people run a report monthly and they put it in a new folder each month and they type the date like "Jan 2017", "Feb 2017", Mar 2017", so that when you look at the folder, it's not in any way organized by order of when the report was run. Just do 2017-01, 2017-02, 2017-03 and then it's perfect.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-26-2017, 04:47 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

http://www.ksby.com/story/36685143/s...er-human-error

Quote:
SLO County budget surplus now a deficit after 'human error'

An $8 million mistake. That's what San Luis Obispo County found in next year's general budget forecast.

"It was human error. The $8 million was overlooked, unfortunately," said County Budget Director Emily Jackson.

Earlier this month, the county projected a surplus in the budget of $3-5 million. However, after discovering an oversight, that surplus is now a deficit of $2.8-4.8 million.

"It's common, it's human, everyone does that. I'm glad I'm not responsible for it though," said Bobby Gallow, San Luis Obispo resident.

The county says recently approved salary increases were "inadvertently omitted in the calculations." Basically, someone forgot to include those numbers in the spreadsheet.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-26-2017, 10:51 PM
SOA

Studying for gonzo?
Favorite beer: gonzo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
auto formatting can GO TO HELL!
Old 10-27-2017, 01:42 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActSciMan View Post
Speaking of the YYYY-MM-DD format, I like when people run a report monthly and they put it in a new folder each month and they type the date like "Jan 2017", "Feb 2017", Mar 2017", so that when you look at the folder, it's not in any way organized by order of when the report was run. Just do 2017-01, 2017-02, 2017-03 and then it's perfect.
You organize your folders by name, ActSciMan?
Old 11-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

https://www.fin24.com/Economy/Eskom/...ifies-20171108

Quote:

Eskom made R1.5bn spreadsheet error in Optimum fine - Daniels

Suspended Eskom head of legal Suzanne Daniels said Eskom’s board tender committee recommended she settle about R200m lower than what the calculations showed regarding the Optimum fine.

The struggling Optimum mine was bought by Tegeta Exploration & Resources, a company owned by the Gupta family and President Jacob Zuma's son Duduzane, after it went into business rescue.

The original fine had been R2.2bn (which saw the firm go into business rescue), but when Daniels met with a committee to discuss this, they discovered there had been an error in the spreadsheet.

“I was shocked at the answer,” she said. “There was an error in the spreadsheet. At that point, I was beyond furious. We have gone out in the media to say it was R2.2bn.”

“The final analysis of the claim showed the fine should have been R722m. I was quite pleased to hear Mr Marsden (Optimum business rescue practitioner) estimated it to be around R700m.”

“I was quite perturbed as there was reputational issue and risks for Eskom.”

She took this new information to the tender board committee. Here, board member Pat Naidoo said she should settle at no less than R500m, according to Daniels.

She was not happy with this, as it should have been around R700m. She said she eventually settled with Optimum (and Tegeta) at R577. R248m had already been paid, so Optimum owed the balance to paid over duration of contract, which ends next year, she said.

Suspended Eskom chief financial officer Anoj Singh told media in July 2017 that the fine was reduced because of a problem with the coal crusher.

Eskom struck a deal with Tegeta on the fine in March during arbitration. However, the power utility refused to disclose the details of the agreement, citing a confidentiality agreement. "Eskom went into this process with legal opinion saying it should settle this claim," said Singh.

He said the underlying nature that gave rise to the claim was that Eskom was disputing coal quality from the mine. The poor quality was because of a change in sampling equipment in 2010, said Singh.

"The change meant it was different than the original sampling equipment. The new design had a crusher, which increased the reject coal put in the plant. It gave a false positive of quantity of reject coal. This was the outcome of investigations over three to four years," he explained.

"We realised the contract was punitive and poor quality coal was being delivered. That is why the amount ramped up so quickly. When we realised the crusher was the problem, we understood that we had sufficient information that the crusher was causing this.

"That is why we went into settlement. The contract manager said the claim should be R700m. This was then discounted to R255.4m."
R1.5bn = $23m

LinkedIn Profile

Tags
machine learning, predictive analytics, speadsheet error, spreadsheets