Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 11-01-2017, 09:06 PM
SOA

Verizon. Like a chump.
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:07 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
Verizon. Like a chump.
The only difference between the Verizon and Google version is the locked boot loader.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:42 PM
SOA

Google will ship on the 5th at the earliest and only has the Black version. I'll wait a couple more days.
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:45 AM
SOA

So I contacted Verizon and there was some issue with my payment that they A) didn't notify me about and B) was not on the order on my account page that I had checked every couple of days since the 19th. I wonder when I could have had the phone if I'd known there was an issue. Oh well, it will be here Monday.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:47 PM
CAS

If you are a case guy, I'd recommend the Caseology Parallax.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:53 PM
SOA

Liking the phone so far. Feels very high quality. My samsung felt so fragile with the glass back that I wore a case but I typically don't. I like the slim feel but it's very slippery. I've had it slide off my couch a couple times. May get that case but I'll keep thinking.

The screen glass being rounded at the edges is something I am not wild about. Sometimes there is an X to kill an ad or whatever in the corner and it's hard to get it to recognize the touch.

I've just been running the stock launcher. I miss folders and having everything organized but it seems like this phone wants you to use search for everything. It's google so that works well but I'm still adjusting to it. The google assistant works very well.

The only issue I've had is that sometimes I am trying to scroll a page and it keeps snapping back to the top. It can be very annoying. I have to kill the app and reopen and that has fixed it so far.

The other thing is that it's HUGE. It feels like a plate-glass window in my pocket. I think I've found the upper limit on how big my phone can be. A touch smaller would even be appreciated. Popsocket is a must for one handed operation.

LOVE the keyboard. Works very well and does the best job of guessing what word I am typing and even which word I will want next before I start typing of any phone I've ever had. Works well as tap type and as swype.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:51 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
Liking the phone so far.
The battery life is pretty amazing.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:57 PM
SOA

Yes it's been good. I was charging my samsung twice a day. This is once per day and I still have 30% when I go to bed. And I'm using it more since it's new and shiny. Impressive stuff.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Non-Actuary

The battery has been very impressive so far. I can get between 7-9hrs screen usage (probably a bit more than half of that on LTE, mostly Reddit, Twitter) between charges. I'll be travelling a bit soon so that will be greatly appreciated.

My old phone (Nexus 5x) I would get maybe 3hrs of screen usage
Old 11-15-2017, 04:02 PM
CAS

I agree. The battery life is pretty incredible. I would definitely HAVE to charge my 6P at work (halfway through my day, 11a-3p) to make it till bedtime. My 1st gen Pixel XL would have to be charged at work if I knew I was going to be using it more than moderately. With the Pixel 2 XL, I've actually never gotten it down to "battery saver" level (<15%) and I've only charged it at work on occasion (once or twice a week) because I already had the cable out and just plugged it in, just cause. Very impressive.