Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 AM
SOA

Default TiVo Roamio

I think a lot of people end up settling for cable box DVRs or homemade PC/Linux boxes, but I'm still a TiVo customer. I have a Series 3 TiVo HD and it's really starting to feel like a dinosaur.

TiVo announced their new Series 5 boxes, branded Roamio. Base model is $200 and is a 4-tuner. The Plus/Pro models are $400/600 and come with 6-tuners (who the eff needs that many tuner?!), more storage, plus built in streaming to iOS devices and MoCA (I might need someone like ahow to give me a crash course on MoCA).

I'm really considering ordering one of these today. Storage is never a problem for us, so I need to decide if we'll actually use/need streaming and MoCA capabilities.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM
SOA

Ordered the "Plus" model. I think we'll use streaming to iOS devices.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:01 AM
CAS

MoCA is simple, but nice.

If you want to set up a second tivo, say a mini, the mini can get data from the main tivo without using ethernet (if you aren't wired or don't want powerline) or wireless(which is unreliable). It took a few tries to get it to connect, but I think that it's fine now that it is working.

As for 6 tuners, it might not be too much in a whole home set up. The mini's each use a dedicated tuner for streaming and any recording is done on other tuners. 4 tuners works well enough with one mini, but if there was even one other clients, it probably wouldn't be enough.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:26 PM
SOA AAA

OK, one question: where do you put six tuners??
I mean, who is your content provider that gives you six tuners?

Does your TiVo replace the tuner? That would be sweet, instead of relying on the TiVo to change the channel of the tuner. We had a TiVo hooked up to a Time/Warner box, and it didn't do that great of a job of changing the channels (I suspect T/W was the cause).

We have two DVRs (one for each TV) from FIOS, and they're connected somehow, so we can watch shows from either DVR on either TV.

Still, I'd love to go back to TiVo, as long as I could pay for service one time for life instead of monthly.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Still, I'd love to go back to TiVo, as long as I could pay for service one time for life instead of monthly.
They have lifetime service available.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:54 PM
SOA

Quote:
OK, one question: where do you put six tuners??
I mean, who is your content provider that gives you six tuners?

Does your TiVo replace the tuner? That would be sweet, instead of relying on the TiVo to change the channel of the tuner. We had a TiVo hooked up to a Time/Warner box, and it didn't do that great of a job of changing the channels (I suspect T/W was the cause).

We have two DVRs (one for each TV) from FIOS, and they're connected somehow, so we can watch shows from either DVR on either TV.

I'm not sure if you're missing something or if I'm not understanding your question.

Cable companies have been providing M-Cards (multi-stream cablecards) for over 5 years now. M-Cards can decode up to 6 channels simultaneously. However, cable boxes must be programmed to handle multiple tuners. Cable and Sat providers have only recently (last 2 years or so) starting pushing boxes with more than 2 tuners.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:55 PM
CAS

Quote:
Does your TiVo replace the tuner?
This.

I have RCN, they provide me with a tivo branded box. Before this was available, I had to rent a cable card from them to install in a tivo box that I provided.

http://dvr.about.com/od/tivo/a/Does-...Offer-Tivo.htm
Old 08-20-2013, 01:55 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
My issue is that they don't work well with cable/fiber-optic companies' machines. And I need the company box for HBO.
So, is there a way to bypass the company box yet? I heard about some chip that can be inserted into a TiVo box, but the companies don't want to give up that sweet box and DVR rental money.

ETA: Ah, the "cable card." I'll see if FIOS has that option.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 08-20-2013 at 02:00 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 01:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
Yup. Lifetime membership is $499; which seems like a lot to plunk down upfront, but it's roughly 2 years and 9 months of monthly payments. Since I've had my last TiVo for 5 years, clearly the lifetime membership was worth it.

Even sweeter is they are offering current TiVo customers $100 off lifetime service (dunno if this is a regular discount or a special due to the new boxes).
Old 08-20-2013, 01:59 PM
SOA

Quote:
My issue is that they don't work well with cable/fiber-optic companies' machines. And I need the company box for HBO.
So, is there a way to bypass the company box yet? I heard about some chip that can be inserted into a TiVo box, but the companies don't want to give up that sweet box and DVR rental money.
Why do you need a company box for HBO? I get HBO and Showtime.

Is this "chip" you are referring to a CableCARD?

Were you like a Series 1 TiVO owner and haven't used them since? It sounds like a lot of your info is outdated (or your local cable provider is looney tunes).