Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2016 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 08-20-2013, 02:05 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Why do you need a company box for HBO? I get HBO and Showtime.

Is this "chip" you are referring to a CableCARD?

Were you like a Series 1 TiVO owner and haven't used them since? It sounds like a lot of your info is outdated (or your local cable provider is looney tunes).
I've been back-ninja'd! (edited my prior post after others have posted the same information.)
Yes, to both those last two statements. I still have the TiVo upstairs next to the TV.
Quick question, to the know-it-all (used respectfully): I have an old lifetime service. Can I transfer it to one of these new-fangled TiVo's?

Gonna check to see how much the CableCard costs.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 08-20-2013 at 02:11 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I've been back-ninja'd! (edited my prior post after others have posted the same information.)
Yes, to both those last two statements. I still have the TiVo upstairs next to the TV.
Quick question, to the know-it-all (used respectfully): I have an old lifetime service. Can I transfer it to one of these new-fangled TiVo's?

Gonna check to see how much the CableCard costs.
Lifetime service is purchased for a specific box. So no, you have to buy a new lifetime service for each new box.

CableCARDs are rented from company just like boxes. They can range from $0-5/month. Comcast doesn't not charge me for one, but they are a PITA because they "require" a technician to install them.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:23 PM
SOA AAA

OK, I'm back!
Current multiroom DVR (I have two, not sure how much second one costs) is $20/month.
Cable Card will cost $5/month.
Tivo will be $15/month, or lifetime deal (which I would do).
But, having TiVo over FIOS DVR (one of them is acting up, a prior one also acted up) makes this a no-brainer.

So, any idea how I'm going to hook up one TiVo box to two (well, three) TVs? Where will the TiVo box be located? My knowledge is early 2000's on this.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:27 PM
SOA

Only way I know is TiVo Mini - $100 device that has a $150 lifetime service price. It uses one of your primary TiVo's tuners for live TV and can access the main box's recorded shows.

Your current TiVo is probably too old to network with the current TiVos (but I'm not 100% certain about that).
Old 08-20-2013, 02:47 PM
SOA AAA

Old one is not even hi-def.

OK, this just got a little more expensive. I was hoping that one box would do it all.

Well, it's only one more box. And a lot of ethernet cable. (Router is upstairs, main TV is downstairs. Rooms are right together, though. Simple hole should take care of it.)

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 08-20-2013 at 02:53 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 03:37 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Old one is not even hi-def.

OK, this just got a little more expensive. I was hoping that one box would do it all.

Well, it's only one more box. And a lot of ethernet cable. (Router is upstairs, main TV is downstairs. Rooms are right together, though. Simple hole should take care of it.)
That's the point of MoCA it seems. Just need a MoCA adaptor it seems.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:40 PM
SOA

Actually it seems that Roamio has a built in adaptor to turn your coax network (presuming each room is wired for cable) into a coax/ethernet network. So no rewiring or adaptors, mayhaps?

https://tivo.com/my-account/how-to/w...w-to/what-moca

Quote:
TiVo Roamio Plus or Pro and TiVo Premiere 4 or XL4/Elite DVRs with a wired Ethernet connection
Connect an Ethernet cable and a coax cable to your DVR. This will let you use the MoCA Network adapter built in to the DVR to enable MoCA throughout your home.

Quote:
Need a MoCA Network Adapter? Shop now

TiVo Roamio (four-tuner only) and TiVo Premiere or XL DVR owners

You will need two MoCA Network Adapters: one that connects to your home network and one that connects to the back of your DVR.

TiVo Roamio Plus or Pro and TiVo Premiere 4 or XL4/Elite DVRs

You will need one MoCA Network Adapter if your DVR cannot use a wired Ethernet cable to connect to your home network. If your DVR can use a wired Ethernet connection, you do not need a MoCA Network Adapter; just connect a coax cable to your DVR, and you’re all set!
Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for unpacking boxes
Favorite beer: Bombadier, London Pride, Any Samuel Smith Beer

Hmmm...
I had TiVO back in the day. Had a series 1. had a series 2 even.

Right now I have FiOS. I have a mutlrioom DVR + a second HD cable box.

Current Cost
HD Set Top Box Rental 11.99
Multi-Room DVR - High Definition 19.99

Is it worth it to switch from FiOS DVRs to a TiVo setup.

cable card is $4 a month right now. Might be going up.

So I would need to drop 400 + 500 for lifetime
Old 08-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

It really sucks that the Plus and Pro don't support OTA. I wonder what kind of kickback TiVo gets from the cable mafia for that.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Actually it seems that Roamio has a built in adaptor to turn your coax network (presuming each room is wired for cable) into a coax/ethernet network. So no rewiring or adaptors, mayhaps?

https://tivo.com/my-account/how-to/w...w-to/what-moca
I don't know. I'm just an unfrozen caveman actuary. Your picture boxes confuse and scare me.

OK, so here's how I picture it in my house:
1. TiVo Loverboy box in Master Bedroom, connected to TV via HDMI and from cable feed (router?) via coax or ethternet.
2. TiVo Mini in Family room, connected to TV via HDMI.
3. Coax from the wall to Mini.

Voila! (See second picture on Mini page.)

Current set up is that FIOS has cable coax all over the house for TV, and it is the internet (ethernet to the router) and phone (standard phone wire). And somehow you can see the DVR list of both boxes on each box. All coming from some FIOS box outside the house.