Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-29-2016, 01:15 PM
SOA AAA

From the article, Rovi is buying, but will keep the TiVo name. TiVo products are still damn good. Interface is awesome, and I hope that doesn't change (seems Rovi owns "TV program guides").
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:20 PM
CAS

Studying for nothing at all

I wonder if Rovi is going to try to go after other DVR makers for perceived violations of TiVo patents?

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular
Old 04-29-2016, 07:14 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Bump, for uh-oh:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...429-story.html

Hoping for not too much change.
Your hope will turn into frustration. RIP TiVo.

They're expecting to save $100 million/year from this acquisition. Say we estimate $200K per employee (including overheads), that's 500 employees ... out of only 1700 combined in the two companies.

These aren't competing companies, so it's not as if there's a ton of duplication below the top management levels. If they really cut that many, the TiVo product and customers will be seriously hurting.

But this acquisition will enable the top executives to enlarge their bonuses based on the proclaimed savings that don't ultimately materialize, or which materialize but are outweighed by a larger magnitude of lost revenue.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:39 PM
SOA AAA

Bump, for TiVo issue.
Been looking online, but I trust some of you will know which solutions are more valid.

On Monday, the Power Company turned off the power for 8 hours. Everything was fine on Monday with the TiVo.
But, yesterday during the day, the TiVo was restarting every six minutes or so. I recorded a soccer game, and there were 22 snippets of the game recorded. Six minutes on, then 4 minutes off to reset.
Wife also had some recording do the same.
Last night, I fiddled a bit with it, I reconnected with TiVo, and it turned out fine for the rest of the evening.

Today, it started acting up again. So, naturally, the wife is upset about this.

After the research I narrowed it down:
1. "Bad" electricity from power company. Surges or droppages are causing TiVo to reboot. Can be fixed by yelling at the Power Company or getting an Uninterruptible Power Supply like this:
https://www.amazon.com/APC-BE425M-Un...3&sr=1-12&th=1

Everything was fine after I reconnected with TiVo.

2. Bad TiVo hard drive, possibly due to whatever the power company did on Monday. This sucks, as it is only 27 months old.

3. Bad Cable Card, possibly due to whatever the power company did on Monday. Can call for a new card or call them to "refresh"(?) it.

4. Bad Power Supply. Involves popping TiVo box open. Doesn't seem too difficult, but I can make it so with my ten electrically-charged thumbs.

Wife says everything is fine now, but I'll post again for advice if it acts up for a third consecutive day.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:01 PM
SOA AAA

Site called "weaknees" has this:

http://www.weaknees.com/repair.php

Quote:
TiVo REBOOTS / RESTARTS FREQUENTLY

Possible Causes:
•Bad hard drive (most likely)
•Bad power supply
•Bad power
•CableCARD issues (Series3 only)

Suggested Solutions:

If you have pixellation or other video/audio problem in between reboots, then consider a hard drive replacement kit.

If you have no other problems and your picture quality is otherwise fine, you might consider getting a UPS or a replacement TiVo power supply.

If you have a Series 3 TiVo that is rebooting or restarting constantly, then you should see the instructions here for resolving that problem.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:13 PM
Non-Actuary

You still have time to salvage the recordings onto another hard drive before the bad drive becomes unreadable. But you don't know how long that will be, so don't procrastinate or hesitate.

Probably the simplest way is to clone it byte-for-byte to another identically sized hard drive, using one of those dual-SATA USB docks which has built-in cloning functionality.

But if you want to do something else like copy the recordings to a bigger hard drive, you'll need to roll up your sleeves and learn the technical steps for how to do it, or send it to weaknees and pay them to do it.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:36 PM
SOA AAA

Thanks for the advice.
Worked well the rest of the week. So, will hold off buying a new drive or power supply or uninterruptable power source.
Just wondering if power company caused this, what ever this is.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:10 PM
SOA AAA

Bump ....

... for twig. I don't think TiVo works with DISH, so dump DISH.

Recent issues: there are none. Everything is awesome! I've added the TiVo app to my phone and can quickly set a recording anytime I want!
Old 11-03-2017, 03:38 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
I've recently decided I want to go back to TiVo after 6-months of using Comcast's X1 system. The X1 box is actually pretty nice when it's working right. However, far too often it gets laggy. Press number, wait 5 seconds, number shows up. Lag is really frustrating FF/REW through recorded shows.

I also miss having Amazon/Netflix/Youtube available right there in my interface. It's not a big deal to switch over to the PS4, but the convenience of the Roamio is nice.

All of this coupled with the fact that Tivo is bringing the Skipmode feature from the Bolt to the Roamio really makes me want to switch back.
Still using the X1...mainly because my wife has no interest in switching and I don't really have the drive to convince and/or insist. I think the main problem is that we'd have to shell out for two TiVo minis and my wife doesn't think it's worth the extra cost.

X1 is still gets really laggy, but they've added Netflix and Youtube in the last year or so, which is nice.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:41 PM
SOA AAA

Feeling for you bro.