Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I don't know. I'm just an unfrozen caveman actuary. Your picture boxes confuse and scare me.

OK, so here's how I picture it in my house:
1. TiVo Loverboy box in Master Bedroom, connected to TV via HDMI and from cable feed (router?) via coax or ethternet.
2. TiVo Mini in Family room, connected to TV via HDMI.
3. Coax from the wall to Mini.

Voila! (See second picture on Mini page.)

Current set up is that FIOS has cable coax all over the house for TV, and it is the internet (ethernet to the router) and phone (standard phone wire). And somehow you can see the DVR list of both boxes on each box. All coming from some FIOS box outside the house.
To get the Mini to work, you would need to connect both Coax AND ethernet to your primary TiVo Roamio box. That will allow the MoCA to work on your coax network.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 PM
SOA AAA

Sounds like it might be awesome.

Big Q: Will TiVo still be around in five years??

Another Q: how does the "cable card" know what premium channels I've ordered? Would I need to go get another card from FIOS if I were to add Showtime? Nearest FIOS store is 30 miles away, so I gotta ask.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:36 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Sounds like it might be awesome.

Big Q: Will TiVo still be around in five years??

Another Q: how does the "cable card" know what premium channels I've ordered? Would I need to go get another card from FIOS if I were to add Showtime? Nearest FIOS store is 30 miles away, so I gotta ask.
Cable coming into house carries your account details. Cable card just decodes what it is told from the coax signals.

It's very possible Tivo is obsolete in 5 years due to cloud DVRs.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 AM
CAS

I was looking up FIOS cable cards and noticed this bit about not being able to use On Demand. Is that a limitation of M-Cards in general, or one imposed by Verizon?

Quote:
Can I use the FiOS TV Interactive Media Guide or Parental Controls with a CableCARD?

No. Some of the advanced features of your FiOS TV service are not available using a CableCARD, such as the following:

FiOS TV Interactive Media Guide
On Demand
FiOS TV Widgets
Parental Controls
A Set-Top Box is required to access these services. If you want these advanced options, you may wish to obtain a Set-Top Box to ensure access to the full range of FiOS TV services. Call 1-800-VERIZON (1-800-837-4966) to request a Set-Top Box.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
I was looking up FIOS cable cards and noticed this bit about not being able to use On Demand. Is that a limitation of M-Cards in general, or one imposed by Verizon?
It's not clear to me why it's restricted. I think Cablecards in general are allowed 2-way communication, which is needed to make VOD possible. It could be a restriction all cable companies have set up or perhaps TiVo doesn't want to bother with developing technology to communicate VOD requests with various providers.

Part of me thinks it's gotta be a box-specific thing, because Comcast has created a VOD app that runs on Tivos to allow their customers to access On Demand (they also put the app on other devices, like Xbox). If Comcast were blocking TiVo from accessing VOD, they wouldn't then turn around and give them an app.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 AM
CAS AAA

I think you're right mlschop. I don't think they're actively blocking the content from working, but I'm pretty sure VOD services are actually software apps that run on the boxes, so it'd be up to the provider to build an app to work on the Tivo, which Comcast has done (out later this fall or something I read). Verizon has not done this yet for FIOS on Tivo, but they do have iOS apps; so maybe it's coming eventually too.

They probably had little incentive to create the apps before since it reduced set top box rental income and revenue from subscriptions; but now they need to provide their services in a broader manner (like Xbox) to be competitive and stave off cord-cutters.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:45 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for unpacking boxes
Favorite beer: Bombadier, London Pride, Any Samuel Smith Beer

I don't think I've used on demand in months. Too hard to find things that I want.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:58 AM
CAS

The RCN branded tivo box has VOD, but won't allow netflix.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

I keep seeing the tread title and reading it as "Tony Romo" and wondering why it's in the Tech forum.

/interruption
Old 08-21-2013, 12:10 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Cable coming into house carries your account details. Cable card just decodes what it is told from the coax signals.
Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
It's very possible Tivo is obsolete in 5 years due to cloud DVRs.
The only reason TiVo still exists is because its recording devices work so much better than the cable boxes' recording device. Current example at my house is that I cannot slo-mo with any quality a recording from "the other box" (e.g. I'm upstairs watching something recorded on downstair's box.) It jumps around, rendering the tool useless. I expect TiVo to be better. When we had T/W, the box didn't allow skipping ahead some fixed (but changeable) number of seconds. That was the main reason we switched to FIOS as soon as we could.

Still awaiting my wife to tell me the password to FIOS so I can look at my bill and decide. She's not too keen on it, as she finds the FIOS recording tool acceptable. I think it's not acceptable, oh, and one box isn't picking up the remote signal that great. (30 miles each way to replace box isn't happening, unless I'm in the area.)

ETA: I'm back. Successfully guessed the password (she suggested her standby, and it worked).
We're paying $37/month for two DVRs.

My only concern now is that the cable card works (i.e., is not programmed not to work by FIOS.) I should probably check around with friends to see if anyone has TiVo with FIOS. Or, check T/W to see what their offer is.

Thanks, chopper, you've been a great source of info.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 08-21-2013 at 12:20 PM..