Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:11 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for unpacking boxes
Favorite beer: Bombadier, London Pride, Any Samuel Smith Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Cool.

The only reason TiVo still exists is because its recording devices work so much better than the cable boxes' recording device. Current example at my house is that I cannot slo-mo with any quality a recording from "the other box" (e.g. I'm upstairs watching something recorded on downstair's box.) It jumps around, rendering the tool useless. I expect TiVo to be better. When we had T/W, the box didn't allow skipping ahead some fixed (but changeable) number of seconds. That was the main reason we switched to FIOS as soon as we could.

Still awaiting my wife to tell me the password to FIOS so I can look at my bill and decide. She's not too keen on it, as she finds the FIOS recording tool acceptable. I think it's not acceptable, oh, and one box isn't picking up the remote signal that great. (30 miles each way to replace box isn't happening, unless I'm in the area.)

ETA: I'm back. Successfully guessed the password (she suggested her standby, and it worked).
We're paying $37/month for two DVRs.

My only concern now is that the cable card works (i.e., is not programmed not to work by FIOS.) I should probably check around with friends to see if anyone has TiVo with FIOS. Or, check T/W to see what their offer is.

Thanks, chopper, you've been a great source of info.
Why are you paying for two dvrs. Why not get a Multiroom DVR and HD box. or maybe that is what you have....
Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooHoo View Post
Why are you paying for two dvrs. Why not get a Multiroom DVR and HD box. or maybe that is what you have....
He's using multiroom feature, so he probably does. Sounds like he's got a multiroom DVR ($20) and an HD DVR ($17). Depending on recording habits, he probably could replace the HD DVR with just an HD box to save $7 a month.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:00 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooHoo View Post
I've got two HD boxes, because I can only record two things at a time, and there are points in time where I have to record more than two things at once.

Also, we like to pause the live TV in both places. Hmm, I hope the TiVo Mini can do that.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Also, we like to pause the live TV in both places. Hmm, I hope the TiVo Mini can do that.
That's a good question...
Old 08-21-2013, 02:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
That's a good question...
Success! From TiVo Mini FAQ:

Quote:
With TiVo Mini, you can:

Stream and watch Live TV with full Trick Play functions
Pause a show in one room and resume it in another
Stream recorded shows to another DVR
Access your 4-tuner TiVo DVR through your Ethernet or MoCA home network to schedule recordings, WishList searches and Season Pass recordings
Share web entertainment from another TV, including movies and music from Hulu Plus, Pandora, Spotify, YouTube, and other broadband content providers
Stream HD recordings to up to three TVs
TiVo Mini does not have a tuner or hard drive, and does not need a CableCARD. Additionally, the remote in the TiVo App cannot control TiVo Mini.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:19 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Success! From TiVo Mini FAQ:
Apparently it just takes over one of the tuners on the host TiVo when watching live tv.

http://support.tivo.com/ci/fattach/g...182/redirect/1

pages 6 & 48
Old 08-21-2013, 03:30 PM
SOA AAA

Awesome!
Might have to get the six-tuner option, then. I do like being able to pause one show, watch another show, then pause THAT show and go back to the first show exactly where I paused it, without having to explicitly record them.

One thing my FIOS does that irritates me is that if I'm going back and forth from a live-but-paused show to a recorded show (because sometimes you watch a live show, then want to watch something else while up to five minutes of commercials play -- looking at you, FX, TNT, TBS, Bravo,...), FIOS does not hold the pause on the live show! I gotta go back and find the spot where I paused.
I know: 1stWP.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM
SOA

My Roamio is scheduled to arrive on Friday. But I have plans Friday night...and probably have plans on Saturday. So I might not be able to dig into it until Sunday.

I'm a bad gadget geek
Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 PM
SOA AAA

Hmm, doing some spreadsheet work, and I see that the difference in my FIOS bill will be $32/month, and the TiVo Roamio +Mini plus lifetime services = $1,150. So the break-even point is 36 months.

Wife is hesitant about losing On Demand service. Helpful for when the cable company decides to notify us twice about the same Amber Alert. DVR stops recording during those, then starts up again when the notification ends. So, a minute of the recording is gone.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:08 PM
SOA

New TiVo waiting at home! Hopefully swapping out old TiVo's M-Card into the Roamio will be enough to get it to work. I really don't want to have to wait until a Comcast tech moron can be shipped out.